Quantcast

What kind of lock do you use?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
So this dude I work with demonstrated how EASY it is to open one of these locks. Took him under a minute. I had no idea. I heard about the Bic pen in the Kryptonite key locks but I never heard of this. This dude says he can open any lock like this in less than a minute.

I'm glad I found out this way instead of losing a bike.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
NYC kryptonite/fuggedabowdit lock

not exactly easy to carry.

though i did see a guy in dublin who used to ride his Klein w/ the lock around his waist.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Echo said:
They have since changed to a flat key set-up. The Bic doesn't work anymore. Save the chain and get a new lock from the local hardware store, preferably one that can fit the chain links though.:clue:

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Hrmm that is the same kind of lock I have. What kind of lock is immune to this kind of stuff? You should let this guy do his stuff on every kind of lock you can find and see which ones he can't get into.

J

JRB

I use a kryptonite cable and a kryptonite cable lock. I use it as a deterenton the car and wouldn't leave it out over night, or in an unwatched location for long.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I have a pair of Masterlock cuffs, and then also, a Specialized cable lock. The Masterlock ones are pretty dang heavy. :(

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
GumbaFish said:
Hrmm that is the same kind of lock I have. What kind of lock is immune to this kind of stuff? You should let this guy do his stuff on every kind of lock you can find and see which ones he can't get into.
It only applies to the locks with the circular keys. The flat keyed locks are fine.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Yeah I know Krypto fixed the problem with their locks.

I just never knew how easy it was to open these twist combination locks. Maybe it's common knowledge but I sure didn't know.

So I'm spreadin' the word, and getting a new lock, chain type with a flat key. I don't care how heavy it is, I leave it attached to the bike rack at work.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
stinkyboy said:
After a ride I only go to bike friendly bars. No lock needed and it leaves more room in my pack for cigarettes.
Yeah I know a few bars here that are cool with bringin bikes in. :thumb:

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I very rarely use a lock, so I haven't invested in anything fancy. I use a coated steel cable and a Master lock (combo, no key) to lock the bike to my sportworks. I haven't felt the need to get a lock for the sportworks yet.

I probably have to lock my bike up once or twice a year, so it's not crucial to me to have the best lock on the market. Just something good enough to keep the average hoodlum from making off with my bike.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
GumbaFish said:
I'm kind of curious how he used a pen to crack a combo lock. I also am kind of curious why this guy knows how to do it so quick:rolleyes:
Those are quite easy. Just slightly pull on lock as you are turning the numbers and they will click in place.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Have you ever tried to cut some of the new cables? I worked as a janitor for a summer and had to cut some for kids that had their lock seize up and it took me a good 5+ minutes to cut through one probably.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just buy enough locks that you can leave one permanently attached to all of the trees/racks/poles near all of your favorite haunts, then it doesn't matter how heavy it is ;)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
GumbaFish said:
Have you ever tried to cut some of the new cables? I worked as a janitor for a summer and had to cut some for kids that had their lock seize up and it took me a good 5+ minutes to cut through one probably.

Maybe they improved them, but when I was going to school in Napa some thief had a pair of cutters that sliced 1/2" aircraft cable cleanly.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I use the lock Echo pictured.:dead:

I never ride my bike anywhere that I would leave locked up so I am not too worried. I just use the lock to fix my bikes to the car rack. The car alarm goes off if you fiddle with the bikes too much.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Yeah they could have some better cutters. I just had the lock cutters they use for getting off the combo locks people leave on their lockers, I am sure there are much better ones out there.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have an Avenir U-Lock that doesn't work with the pen trick. The only part of my bike that is quick release is the seat at this point and I never leave my bike for more than about 5 minutes anyway.

I park it in my office at work and in my house at home. I might need to run into a store or something, but that's about the extent of it.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
jacksonpt said:
I very rarely use a lock, so I haven't invested in anything fancy.
i typically don't either, but when we were in ireland there was no room in the house to store the bikes; they were in a flimsy wooden shed in the back. my security device was to lock all the bikes (4) together, so that they wouldn't be able to fit out of the shed door. if the theives broke the shed, they'd still have to get the big bulky mass up and over the wall.

now i just use it to lock my bike to the T2 rack if i'm at work (and it's a formality really; work is very safe).

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I have a newer, un-bic-able Krypto U-lock that I use with an 8 ft cable for my wheels. The cable is more of a complicator for a thief than real security.

If I am going somewhere where my bike will be out of sight I try to ride my fixie, on which everything is bolted down - no QR's.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
When I worked at the shop at the university I'd have to break locks for idiots who lost their keys. The funnest job ever. My preffered method for U-locks: A sissors action jack for a car inbetween the u-lock "bars" and smacking the lock end with a fat hammer. This is technique no thief would use since it sounds like a shotgun when the lock explodes ;)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I have been using the smaller OnGuard Bulldog, with a Krypto-cable for the wheels. My "junker" also has no quick releases but still try to use a tiny cable for the seat.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
p.s. an old friend of mine just bought a Rainier. Locked it up outside his office in a burb of Salt Lake City with a cable lock.

It lasted one day...