Quantcast

What kind of riding near Columbia, MD?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I'll be there for a week in mid-May for a training class for work. I'll be driving down (five hours from Connecticut). Would it be worth it to drag my bike along?

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
I think the closest quality riding to Columbia, MD is Patapsco Valley State Park.

This map should give you a rough idea of how close Patapsco is to Columbia.

So yeah, I'd say it's absolutelly worth while to bring your bike :) . The trails there feature alot of rolling terrain. I don't ride there very often so maybe someone else could chime in here who's more familiar with the trail network. I know alot of the MD folks on MTBR are regulars at Patapsco and might be able to give you the goods.

If you have the time to venture out further away from Columbia, other areas you could check out are Gambrill State Park/Frederick Watershed up in Frederick, MD, Fountainhead in Lorton, VA, Schaeffer Farms in Germantown, MD. There are all probably at least an hour from Columbia, MD though.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
we've got about 4 different sets of trails up and running 3 of which are about 15-45 minutes away from columbia. I live in catonsville which is about 15-20 mins away from columbia, baltimore has some of the best street riding on the east coast
(refer to killing time for some of the spots). we've got tons of great xc trails, the only "DH" trails worth mentioning are out in fredrick in the watershed.

PM me if you want to ride

Morgan

Karpieldisco

Chimp
Mar 24, 2002
Abingdon, MD
Originally posted by Msisle Dad
we've got about 4 different sets of trails up and running 3 of which are about 15-45 minutes away from columbia. I live in catonsville which is about 15-20 mins away from columbia, baltimore has some of the best street riding on the east coast
(refer to killing time for some of the spots). we've got tons of great xc trails, the only "DH" trails worth mentioning are out in fredrick in the watershed.

PM me if you want to ride

Morgan
Morgan said it all.. I used to worked in columbia and the trails are not far away. If you bring your ride. Contact Morgan and or Myself and we can try to plan a ride...
Karpieldisco@comcast.net

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Cool, guys! Thanks. I will let you know as the date gets closer, but sounds like bringing my bike would be well worth it. FYI, I like to ride all kinds of terrain (XC, freeride, whatever). :)

Looks like I will be down there June 7-11 as well.

Also, I don't mind driving a bit to get to good trails.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Yep, bring your bike. We've got good beer in town too.

Some recommended eats in Columbia: Noodles Corner and Frisco Burrito.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Are you gonna be in town over a weekend? If so, count me in for some trail riding up in the Frederick Watershed. Can't get away to ride much more than local trails during the week. I'm over in Alexandria, Virginia.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by I Are Baboon

Looks like I will be down there June 7-11 as well.

Also, I don't mind driving a bit to get to good trails.
Well I'll be honeymooning then so I'll have to catch you on the first trip.

I've heard good things about Patapsco, but I've never been there. Anyone wanna lead a ride? Riderx?

I was originally thinking Schaeffer Farm or Fountainhead, but I'd be down with whatever.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by peter6061
Are you gonna be in town over a weekend? If so, count me in for some trail riding up in the Frederick Watershed. Can't get away to ride much more than local trails during the week. I'm over in Alexandria, Virginia.
I am planning to come down Saturday, May 8. That will give me Sunday and Monday to ride (class does not start until Tuesday, and realize most of you probably have day jobs :D ). I could actually ride Saturday afternoon too if the ride down goes well.

For the June trip, I will come down Saturday June 5.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Originally posted by BikeGeek
I've heard good things about Patapsco, but I've never been there. Anyone wanna lead a ride? Riderx?
If I'm available I'll lead a Patapsco ride. Give me an exact date so I check the calendar.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I am planning to come down Saturday, May 8. That will give me Sunday and Monday to ride (class does not start until Tuesday, and realize most of you probably have day jobs :D ). I could actually ride Saturday afternoon too if the ride down goes well.

For the June trip, I will come down Saturday June 5.
I'd be up for a ride in the Patapsco area as well. That's always been good riding for me (if it's dry).

Your second trip corresponds with the Snowshoe Norba Nationals June 10-13, but if you're coming the weekend before, some good riding can be had. :thumb:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Patapsco is fun XC riding that can get challenging becuase it's rooty, doesn't drain all that well and sees a good bit of traffic. I don't ride there very often because I always get SO muddy when I do. It's kinda the Fountainhead of Baltimore.

Like the others said, Frederick is only a half hour from Columbia via RTE 70. That's where the gems can be mined. XC, DH(though not terribly steep) and FR. It's very rocky and drains well except for the areas directly adjacent to the various watershed ponds.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by riderx
If I'm available I'll lead a Patapsco ride. Give me an exact date so I check the calendar.
May 9 works for me! :D

Peter, Snowshoe would be sweet, but after five days of rather intense technical training for work, I'll probably just want to come home when it's over. But we'll see. I have not finalized any plans yet for that 2nd trip. :)

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
May 9 works for me! :D
May 9th is Mother's Day, so an early ride is probably in order, man's got to go give props to his mom ya know :D

As things get nearer we can iron out details. We'll also need to watch the weather, Patapsco stays real wet and spring showers can hose ride plans easily.

sguhrofst8

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Columbia, MD
It's a little wet from the rain last week, but drying fast, the creeks are up a bit and some low valley sloppy spots. other than good, except for someone tore down a few skinny log rides there last season.
--z--

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Rode last night. Except for a few problem areas, the trails are dry and dusty. We had a MORE day Sunday where we rerouted some of the bad stuff and now have some sweet twisties that should shed water good.

The main line from the park and ride is a mess, lots of trouble spots, needs more work.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
So any rides going to be planned for the 9th? I am heading down that morning (NOT the 8th). That will put me in the greater Columbia area around noon. Yeah, I see it's Mother's Day, so no big deal if you've already got mom plans.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Hmmm, thought you were coming down the 8th and was going to shoot for an early AM ride on the 9th. I know I've got M-day stuff to do, but will see if there is a late afternoon possibility. If not, Mon. evening or Wed. evening

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Originally posted by riderx
Hmmm, thought you were coming down the 8th and was going to shoot for an early AM ride on the 9th. I know I've got M-day stuff to do, but will see if there is a late afternoon possibility. If not, Mon. evening or Wed. evening
I had to change my plans and I can't do the 8th. :( My bad, I know.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
If Patapsco doesn't work out on the 9th, I could always show you around some place that I know. None are very close to Columbia though.