Quantcast

what kind of work environment are you guys in?

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I am in sales, I sell HVAC in peoples homes but when there isn't any appointments I am surfing the web like Kelly Slater at pipeline......

Meat Foot

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
On the asthenosphere
Build dams and bridges, but I do not pay attention to the calcs too much. Kidding, I am a geologist and work with a geotech engineering co. The little blue e is too tempting.:rolleyes:

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Being a student is the best these days, wireless campus and the totally excepted practice of using your computer to take notes.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
stinkyboy said:
I screw off for most of the day and act overworked for a couple hours and actually do some work. It took 20 years to perfect this technique.
Took me 5 years to get it down... you work too hard.

I sit at a frikkin desk all day. I can get up and go fix the PC at the users desk, but then I would have to talk to users. :blah:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I am home today, but I have tunnels to work, so I can do a few things at once. I run Desktop Manager for OS X:
Desktop 1: Server monitor, 2 xterms, text editor
Desktop 2: Work email, Adium (with my boss), Intranet
Desktop 3: 4 xterms for ssh sessions
Desktop 4: RM, ebay, personal email, misc crap

Same setup as I use in the office, only I would be wearing pants around the office.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i work from a mobile cubicle made by ford, it makes cool noises and has blinky lights so it amuses my ADD fairly well. i don't get to play on RM much but if it's slow i can find plenty of wifi spots around.
sometimes i get to put people in my cubicle when they need a "time out" and i take them to the "time out facilitator" where they usually cry and throw a tantrum; much like the real corporate world. :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
manimal said:
i work from a mobile cubicle made by ford, it makes cool noises and has blinky lights so it amuses my ADD fairly well. i don't get to play on RM much but if it's slow i can find plenty of wifi spots around.
sometimes i get to put people in my cubicle when they need a "time out" and i take them to the "time out facilitator" where they usually cry and throw a tantrum; much like the real corporate world. :D

Too farkin funny!

I wish I had flashing lights in my cubicle.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
sometimes i even get to play a cool virtual reality/real reality video game where i drive my cubicle really fast and try to catch people. if i win that game i get to run out of my cubicle and play a WWE wrestling game. i don't think that the other people in the office like to play the wrestling game with me 'cause they always start cussing me when i put them in "time out". so then i just drive my cubicle to the coffe shop and relax :D

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
manimal said:
sometimes i even get to play a cool virtual reality/real reality video game where i drive my cubicle really fast and try to catch people. if i win that game i get to run out of my cubicle and play a WWE wrestling game. i don't think that the other people in the office like to play the wrestling game with me 'cause they always start cussing me when i put them in "time out". so then i just drive my cubicle to the coffe shop and relax :D
Hahaha, that's awesome!

I am a desk jockey with a pretty big office on the 15th floor in Oak-town, desk-to-ceiling windows with a view of Mt. Tam and the SF Bay, and a door I can close, and picture of Einstein riding a bike. It's pretty nice but I spend way too much time here, so it better be...

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Cubicle hell. I've had 13 cubiles in the 10 years at the company. And 12 bosses. Lest you think that is seay, I hade one for 3 years and 1 for 2 years, so I average about 6 months on a boss.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My office lacks cube walls and it's nice. I am on the 8th floor downtown Portland facing North with a view of two rivers, the union Pacific station, and on clear days I can see mount St. Helens. Mt. Hood is blocked by the nasty pink US Bank Corp tower that's 35 or so stories.

My building was built in 1907, kickin' it old skool...

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Echo said:
I sit in a lab with a half million dollar printer instrumented with 4 PC's, 2 Solaris servers, and 2 laptops. I set up tests on all the computers and then slack on the internet on my laptop while the tests run. w00t.
Well now I know why MY half million dollar equipment from your said manufacture is down all the time......:mumble: :rolleyes: Gives me more time to be on the Monkey. Keep it up!:cool:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Transcend said:
So you got dressed this morning?
Actually, I got UNDRESSED and put on pajamas when I got home this morning... so I could work... because working in pants is for the birds! :oink:

manimal said:
I suspect that by "time out facilitator" you don't mean "strip club" ? Because that's where my boss sends me when I need a time out... of course the crying I do there is for joy and you might have to replace the word "tantrum" with "dollars" to get it just right...

:cool:

grundy

Chimp
Oct 18, 2004
kidwoo said:
Hippy.

I'm either out braving floods and blizzards makin' teh science™ or sitting in my office working on spreadsheets to crunch and interpret said science.
UNR Hydrology?

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
I just discovered that my new employer likes to do video conferences every morning at 8am - so...Pj's on the bottom, bidness on top ;)...woohoo! I'm dancing around the condo today having found an awesome new employer who actually Likes the fact I insist on personal time for rock climbing/mtn biking/back packing adventures and Likes the fact I want to work sitting on the couch...woohoo!!!!

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
one of my jobs i am in a studio all dauy and dont get to surf. dont get to surf at school either. my other job i am out in the woods/on the river/on the trail/driving to location. between all that i make sure i schedule some time in the afternoon for chillin and whatnot.

Ti22

Monkey
Feb 28, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
biggins said:
one of my jobs i am in a studio all dauy and dont get to surf. dont get to surf at school either. my other job i am out in the woods/on the river/on the trail/driving to location. between all that i make sure i schedule some time in the afternoon for chillin and whatnot.
Hey biggins, if I had a view like that found in your avitar infront of me on my uphill ride, I'd be able to make it up any mountain! :drool:

4thegirl

Chimp
Aug 27, 2007
They don't really give me that much to do.. i keep a screen of work open and if anyone comes by me i switch to that so they think I'm working..

Sep 25, 2007
I work in the corner part of the office nobody can see my computer screen so if i just complain all day about having so much work they just assume that i'm working on some big project and they don't bother me... i do do work... but not as much as they think... think they just think what i do takes a long time..

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
When I'm in the office, I'm awnsering phones, writing emails, waiting for packages, fixing equipment, loading/unloading trucks, etc. When none of that needs to be done, I'm on the web.

When I'm not in the office, I'm on production. After everything is set up, I make sure it runs smoothly, and then I play on my BlackBerry (like right now), or if there is Wifi, my iPod touch

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
in the office:

out of the office:

i'm about 60/40 out of the office nowadays. :thumb:
i almost feel guilty around 5pm when i think of the traffic jam that most cubicle warriors are stuck in while i'm out tooling around on my bike in the projects ....almost ;)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
lol...since i'm one of the few "geeks" at work i was selected for the "technology committe" and i get to test out all of the new stuff that we're looking into; ie: Dell laptops. i was the first one to get an air card as well....hella faster than the in car analog modem i had before :thumb: