Quantcast

what kinda trouble did I just get myself into?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
waiting for ihaterice to take a sh!t in this thread.

i like it.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
yeah i know theres going to be some wtf did you do moments but after looking for weeks for a good a4Q avant in the manual variant, i happened across this. Went and checked it out, drove it and said "LEEROY JENKINS!"

Im bringing it home tomorrow, got new suspension ordered for my passat wagon to return it to stock and hand off to my little sister when she and the parental units move west this summer.

I sold the KTM last week to buy after having been straight up run off the road 3 times in 2 months by farm workers up here. Seeing the amount of "Insurance by Julio" stickers made me think it might be smart to not ride the bike to work.

I've already got full AirLift V2 kit on the way and some rotiform wheels down at their shop, so it's pretty much sorted right off the bat as far as looks. pretty stoked about this big luxobarge. 3 owners, complete records to date and the only major repair was a new p/s pump by last owner.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Looks nice.

I guess an old redneck like myself will never understand the allure. I bought the 1st wife a Passat GLX that was loaded to the hilt, never again will I pay good money for euro trash. The extended warranty saved me about $15k in repairs (2 trans, many many electrical issues, all sorts of various leaks and recalls), but the repairs post warranty were close to that before she finally gave up the car in less than 10 years of ownership.

No car is worth more in repairs that the purchase price over 10 years IMO.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Here's where my experiences differ, since 1999 I've owned 30 somthing VW's and audis. From new GTI's and Jettas to used rabbits and A4's.

How many issues have I, very few. A B3 GLX Wagon had its tranny take a dump at 125K, 5-Speed swap later and it was back to perfect. A 95' VR GTI had a cam break. Required a new motor but it was about as rare and uncommon a issue as anyones ever seen. I've literally spent $300 since '08 in repairs of any kind. I went through CV's pretty often but that was because of the height I drove the car at. Not really often but it's on it's third set in 5 years. Thats my fault not the cars.

The last few years i've had a 03 passat glx wagon. It's has minor ths like a temp sensor go bad, a maf go bad and a bad front motor mount. thats it. I've owned it from 40K up to now 109 and it's been rock solid. My last new cars a mk4 gti and mk4 GLI were both problem free.

We've all had different experiences, I take care of my cars, keep up on maintenance and stop issues before it's too late. Can't say the wife didnt do that but it's not been my experience.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Well I should clarify At most times i've owned 2-3 at a time. This also counts the ladies cars during the 15 years together.

The has been the odd 150K plus 30 year old rabbit that I owned for 6-8 months.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
hey guys let's start a pool to see how long it takes for blackohio to have to rip the entire front end off the car to do repairs.

enjoy driving it for now at least

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Can't say the wife didnt do that but it's not been my experience.
Well, my first wife was born without arms, so vehicle maintenance is not her forte. The Passat was outfitted with $10k worth of foot controls and a 5 speed swap was not really an option when the slush boxes failed. The power locks caused a fuse to pop about once a week and VW's solution was to replace the fuse with a resettable breaker that was floor mounted so she could reset it with her foot in the event she got locked in the car.

When she finally gave up on the VW, my folks gave her a 2007 Camary that was then outfitted the same way as the VW. The Camary has had zero issues since 2009 when she took ownership.

The issue with needing a car to be heavily modified is you want to start with something that will last. She wanted a VW because she could open the doors herself without issue and she liked them. But from '95 to '08, the VW racked up about $40k in repairs, the first $25k or so was covered under the extended warranty.

I am not one to get extended warranties on cars, but the Passat was a "demo" with only 15k miles on it, so I added the 100k bumper to bumper warranty just to be safe.

In contrast, my Vette was $4k and the most fun car I have ever owned. In the 20k miles I put on it, the only issue I had was a heater hose clamp came loose while the car was sitting after a spirited drive. Parts were cheap as hell, too.

<edit> minus the whole rolling thing. :rofl:

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Well, my first wife was born without arms, so vehicle maintenance is not her forte. The Passat was outfitted with $10k worth of foot controls and a 5 speed swap was not really an option when the slush boxes failed. The power locks caused a fuse to pop about once a week and VW's solution was to replace the fuse with a resettable breaker that was floor mounted so she could reset it with her foot in the event she got locked in the car.

When she finally gave up on the VW, my folks gave her a 2007 Camary that was then outfitted the same way as the VW. The Camary has had zero issues since 2009 when she took ownership.

The issue with needing a car to be heavily modified is you want to start with something that will last. She wanted a VW because she could open the doors herself without issue and she liked them. But from '95 to '08, the VW racked up about $40k in repairs, the first $25k or so was covered under the extended warranty.

I am not one to get extended warranties on cars, but the Passat was a "demo" with only 15k miles on it, so I added the 100k bumper to bumper warranty just to be safe.

In contrast, my Vette was $4k and the most fun car I have ever owned. In the 20k miles I put on it, the only issue I had was a heater hose clamp came loose while the car was sitting after a spirited drive. Parts were cheap as hell, too.

<edit> minus the whole rolling thing. :rofl:
Roll it nao!!

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Sounds like comfort control module was either water damaged or had some other issue causing the short.

I as well as you understand what it takes to have a vehicle for something with needs beyond the norm. My father was been in a wheelchair since 1982. We've gone through so many vans it's not even funny. Many of them plagued with issues (electrical as well)

Your electrical gremlin sounds strange for sure and I can't say the transmission issue is totally unheard of, however my experience with my passat has been beyond stellar. This car has taken me across the country 4 times, up and down the entire west coast half a dozen times and asked for no more than $300 in parts in doing so. Im not counting maintenance items like brake pads, oil changes etc.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
yes because what I want is the actuality of pulling the motor to replace the burnt up turbos vs. the slight possibility that the timing chain pensioner might die during my ownership.

We'll ask Kevin that question when his turbos **** the bed in the next 5-10K.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This. And I've heard if it springs a leak you can just put some Stan's in there. :rofl:
I don't know about Audi air ride, but I've been working with air ride for about 6 years now and it's awesome. If done correctly, there isn't a whole lot to go wrong.

But if anyone can f@ck it up, it's Audi. :rofl:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
You dont see the issues with the A8 and A6 cars nowadays with the air ride. The allroad was seemingly bought by people who thought they could just buy a car, drive it like a truck and do seemingly little to no maintenance. Most AR's we got into the shop were utter ****heaps. Full of spilled coffee and soda and dog hair.

I love the allroad, but theres only like 3-4 in the US in the 2.7 variety i'd buy. The V8 as long as its maintained should be good.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I don't know about Audi air ride, but I've been working with air ride for about 6 years now and it's awesome. If done correctly, there isn't a whole lot to go wrong.

But if anyone can f@ck it up, it's Audi. :rofl:
Land Rover has been building air suspension failures since the early 90s.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
You dont see the issues with the A8 and A6 cars nowadays with the air ride. The allroad was seemingly bought by people who thought they could just buy a car, drive it like a truck and do seemingly little to no maintenance. Most AR's we got into the shop were utter ****heaps. Full of spilled coffee and soda and dog hair.

I love the allroad, but theres only like 3-4 in the US in the 2.7 variety i'd buy. The V8 as long as its maintained should be good.
maybe you should have got that fj and drove off a pier.

miss ya sexy. Should come back to portland.

Last edited:

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
one was a lease, 2nd had for 2 years, third for a year, bought a SUV for their family. It's well cared for, serviced by 2 dealers and in great shape. Im ok with it and thats even with your disapproval.

Most people dont keep cars as long anymore and we are talking about a 60K car, not the owners super effected by minute ups/downs to economy.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I've had my current A4 for 10 years. Last car for 11 years. I'm all for getting what you want, and total cost of ownership all balances out after a while no matter what car you drive.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
So it's been about a week with it. First impressions. Butter smooth. It's not the fastest car (but I drive slow anyhow) It goes well when thrown into Sport though.

The interior is awesome, the leather is top quality, the buttons and feel of everything has that really solid german feel (where even comparable spec'd us and japanese cars seem to have a flimsy/cheap feel.) Exterior styling is awesome, nothing excessive and everything seems to flow together without any odd angles or lines. I know the cars not new, but it feels and looks it. My neighbor with whom I've talked cars with was totally wondering what I did simply because he thought the car was brand new. When I told him it was 8 years old he was shocked.

The interior lights up like its from the future at night, there's LED's in the doors and footwells that provide a soft light as well as the typical audi red/white gauges. Nothing is too bright or dim or hard to see/make out. It's by far the best interior of any car i've had.

The exterior lights up like a alien spaceship at night when alarm is disarmed.

Airride and wheels are on order but the air might be a few weeks (which im bummed about but it's not a car im bummed about driving stock.)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
mmm you got da mocha interior. I always wanted an a8 spacebarge with that interior.

The interiors on audis are the best. I particularly loved the red gauges. When they actually lit up, they were the best for night driving. My car has orange and I hate it in comparison. Some bits are too bright and others are dim.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
why won't someone come out with a dash kit that has user selectable lighting colors? i want my scht to look like the millenium falcon

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
why won't someone come out with a dash kit that has user selectable lighting colors? i want my scht to look like the millenium falcon
IIRC the Mustang and maybe other Ford products let you pick a color.

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
IIRC the Mustang and maybe other Ford products let you pick a color.
Only problem with the Ford stuff is even now, from a design standpoint their stuff looks great, feels plastic-y and ****ty. Dodge's are the worst. Their flagship challenger from 09 still has 80's alarm clock style green lettering in the cluster and radio. Even my $140 Alpine in my passat from '08 has a better digital display.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
nope not broken down yet, literally the only repair in its dealer service history was a p/s pump. None of the coilpacks or electronics wizardry some of these had.
That's pretty good, if someone made a Euro car with Japanese electrics it would awesome.

My sister's Toerag was purched at 3yrs old, in two months- ABS module, OS front window stopped working, fancy dash doesn't always work, parking sensors go off randomly in the rain and the alarm sets itself of when it feels like it. That's a normal Euro car, yours is weird, more stuff should go wrong.

Have you bought a scan tool yet?