Quantcast

what makes you buy something ant not another?

saruti

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
Israel
What will make you buy a fork/rim/any other part?

I know that what made me buy my 2010 wc boxxer was the info on sram site
All info about servicing the fork
And the best thing was the info about tuning it. Rebound clicks; comp clicks and so on...
The same was with my sunday frame
The info here on this forum about tuning it

It’s not like I don’t know about tuning things, but it is really cool and easy to know that you’re in the right spot from info from pro's and people who made the parts.

sure there are different rezones for buying parts that don’t need tuning, like:
hubs = strength and weight
rims
pedals
….

So what makes you buy things?

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Bought my complete(used) shocker because:
a) It was my size
b) Cheap, based on the build(identical build to Stevie Smith's bike in Seasons, minus the Vivid)

But other than that, mainly cool graphics and if WC riders use the components(sarcasm).

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
klunky nailed it. obfuscated technospeak liberally sprinkled w/ trademarked acronyms in conjunction w/ trend leading graphic design really do it for me.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
How many and how big the logos are, because if no one can tell what your riding whats the point?

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
What will make you buy a fork/rim/any other part?

I know that what made me buy my 2010 wc boxxer was the info on sram site
All info about servicing the fork
And the best thing was the info about tuning it. Rebound clicks; comp clicks and so on...
The same was with my sunday frame
The info here on this forum about tuning it

It’s not like I don’t know about tuning things, but it is really cool and easy to know that you’re in the right spot from info from pro's and people who made the parts.

sure there are different rezones for buying parts that don’t need tuning, like:
hubs = strength and weight
rims
pedals
….

That info os common knowledge so Its not what made me buy a wc. The only reason I went WC over Fox is the price. I got a deal and went for it. If the fox was cheaper Id go fox.
For frames - I always try to think about what would I like to change in my current frame and look for a frame that fits most of my requirements. If some of them are close I pick on price and looks (kill me).
Regular parts - usualy strength/weight/price - I will bug the **** out of ppl who own that stuff instead on beliving the marketing BS. Too much BS and I will not buy the product. It puts me off.

Also - good cs also helps. Id rather buy a product from a company that has good contact with the client and I talk to someone who knows about the bike, not is another sales chick hired to reply with generic answers.

toowacky

Monkey
Feb 20, 2010
Pac NW
-Past personal experience with products from a company

-Friends' experiences w/ products

-Previous experience w/ a company's cust service. I don't expect something for nothing, but there are certain expectations. I've got a short list of companies who have exceeded those expectations and another list of companies who have fallen short and won't get my money

-Innovation

-Cost (price)

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
-Past personal experience with products from a company

-Friends' experiences w/ products

-Previous experience w/ a company's cust service. I don't expect something for nothing, but there are certain expectations. I've got a short list of companies who have exceeded those expectations and another list of companies who have fallen short and won't get my money

-Innovation

-Cost (price)
in reality, I'm pretty much with stupid. If other people like it, I'll give it a shot. If people at the company go out of their way to help you out, I'll continue to support them.

I appreciate innovation, but I think, to me, craft is more important than pure technical fuzziwhatzit. I loved my brooklyn frame. Technologically, it was was ahead of its time but had been surpassed by more current offerings. There were no acronyms and it wasn't patented. It was extremely well executed though. So, I'm beginning to care less who's name is on the box and more about how carefully they built it.

I do care about country of origin. I know that there may be no difference in ride quality, and taiwan frames may be cheaper, but QC is worse and there used to be a certain "craft" that went into making bikes that doesn't seem to be as present anymore.

Cost is a big one. I haven't bought a frame in a while, but I'd be willing to pay more for a US built frame, but I'm not paying a premium for a taiwan frame.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
ability to add or remove shims is pretty important.

Then cheapness is a close second with amount of scantily clad women used in advertising coming in at 3rd

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I thought this was another discounted cycling thread. iguessyoudon'ttypelikethisthough...

Last edited:

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
Too many zeros at the end of my bank account balance(s). ;)

Hehe... in all seriousness and for the sake of contributing something valuable to this thread, here are the key questions that go through my head when I purchase something mountain bike-related:

Is it "built to last"?

Is it made by a company that fully supports their products? Is this company going to wear the risk of their product(s) sucking? Does this company have a reputable business model that would lead me to believe they are "in it for the long haul"? (e.g.: introducing new product, testing, refinement, repeat)

(And strangely...) Does anybody/everyone else have it/one? I would never own something like a Sunday or a Demo, NOT BECAUSE I think they "bad" bikes. They're actually phenomenal bikes in my opinion, but there are soooo many of them out there (which I see as a testament to their greatness). I like being a little "different" and having something nobody (or very few) else has.

Price has always been a non-concern for me personally. The old saying "you get what you pay for" certainly applies in the bicycle industry (as it does i any other mechanically-related one). HOWEVER, there is definitely a point of diminishing returns when it comes to bike parts. (The Shimano SLX groupo, for example, is probably one of the best value buys on the market right now imo) Remember... just because you have money doesn't mean you have to spend it.

nelsonjm

Monkey
Feb 16, 2007
Columbia, MD
From most important to least:

-Perceived performance/reliability (Does it look like it's going to work/last?)

-Reviews from others

-Documentation. i.e. I really like how sram has take apart and tuning guides.

-Past experience with company, especially with similar products.

-Cost

stringbean

Chimp
Aug 30, 2008
if it looks **** and works like crap/breaks, im not gonna buy it

so for me, looks and how wel it works. if it works, it'll stay till it breaks, if it doesnt, i'll find something else.