Quantcast

What makes YOUR state unique?

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
BurlyShirley said:
That's simply insane to me. For a million dollars, I seriouly could get 500 acres of land and a 3 story 5 bedroom house, NO PROBLEM.
Dude, to be honest it's insane to me too. Is it worth it? HELL NO.. You kinda have to live here to understand though.

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
I Are Baboon said:
Have you ever met a native Vermonter who was not a hippie?
Having lived in VT. for 5 years, I can assure you that there are very few native hippies. All the "hippies" are transplants from out of state. ::coughcollegekidscough::

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
I'll put in a plug for North Carolina. I'm smack in the middle of the state. 2.5 hrs east, we've got beautiful beaches and bays, awesome fishing and some of the best pork BBQ you've ever tasted. Take it just a little south of there about an hour, and you're right in the middle of the "Redneck Riviera" ......Myrtle Beach--home of the neon "Party Naked" T-Shirt, all the fireworks you can stuff into your car, and some of the drunkest redneck girls you've ever seen. Classic.

2.5 hrs. to the west, our Blue Ridge mountains offers a unique beauty that is shared in part, with Georgia, Tennessee and Virginia. Obviously not the biggest mountain range on the continent, it is one of the oldest--with the New River that runs right through our Northwest corner being the 2nd oldest river on the planet---in many geologists opinion, it once flowed side-by-side with the only other river in the world that is older--the Nile. Cool, huh? Of course, all this beauty comes with a price---hillbillies and Lexington-style BBQ.

I love the fact that we pride ourselves on being courteous and patient here in the Old North State. Most would chalk that up to being "slow" or "redneck" but that's OK..........we also have a powerhouse of colleges and universities such as Wake Forest, Duke, NC State, East Carolina, and UNC. We also like our sports, too. Come ACC basketball tournament time, everything shuts down to root your favorite team on to victory. We have the Carolina Panthers, the (Stanley Cup Champions) Carolina Hurricanes, and the Charlotte Bobcats to enjoy.

sam_little

Monkey
May 18, 2003
Portland, OR
Oregon is terrible. Absolutely an awful state in every way. You don't want to move here...

In all seriousness: Amazing coast, forests, mountains, and desert. We DO have every major type of landform, and many unique to the state. We're almost the size of CA, but have less than 1/10th the people. Only one major city, but it makes up for it by being a great one. What do you like to do?

Ride mtn. bikes? We have a buttload of single track, USFS land with endless trails, two budding and well known downhill / freeride areas. Two lift serviced mountains. Roadie? There is an ungodly number of secondary roads through farmland, forests and mountains.

Surf? So long as you don't mind sharks and cold water, there is plenty around.

Ski and Snowboard? While they call it Cascade Concrete, I find the conditions here to be peachy. Good dense snow makes for a strong snowpack with killer backcountry and decent lift service. Plenty to keep you entertained, and you can be on a mountain within two hours of any town east of the coast range and around Bend.

Fish? Are you kidding? Salmon, steelhead, trout, bass, etc. Big rivers, small streams; it doesn't matter what kind you enjoy, it's all here.

Camping/Backpacking? The amount of wilderness in this state is ridiculous. Whether or not you like wilderness as a matter of principle, it's hard to deny the beauty of the snow-capped Cascades.

Mountaineering? Did someone say snow-capped Cascades? Glacier skiing, technical routes, etc.

Climbing? Smith Rock is one of the premier sport climbing areas in the country. No big wall stuff here, but plenty to keep anyone that enjoys the sport quite happy.

Music? Portland has a great local music scene, especially if you like indie stuff. All the major acts that are worth a damn make a point to stop in Portland on almost every tour, and many of them have surprise shows in Eugene.

Paddling? Premier Cascade rivers and steep chutes abound. Waterfalls to scare the most seasoned professionals, and plenty of mellow stuff to get into the sports.

Hunting? Elk, deer, upland game birds, waterfowl, epic goose hunting (if that can be epic), turkey. If you're the killing type, there is plenty to do here.

Democrat? Republican? It's a liberal state, but the political lines are roughly divided by the Cascades. Lefts live left (west), rights live right.

Work? Well, jobs are harder to come by here than in some other states, but there is something for everyone. They call Portland the "silicon forest." Lots of tech jobs around the area. How about natural resources? Whether you're on the green side or brown side of that game, there is plenty to pay the bills. Bend has a rapidly growing healthcare industry. Design? Portland is a design stronghold, with more black-glasses-and-turtleneck-clad yupsters than you can shake an uzzi at.

Drink beer? Oh dear god... please make it go away before I kill my liver. Rogue, Deschutes, Terminal Gravity, Full Sail, Bridgeport, Siletz, et al. It is the microbrew capital of the country by far.

Cost of living? It isn't cheap to live here, but it isn't expensive either. The median home price in Portland and Corvallis is pretty high by midwestern standards, but there are plenty of other affordable towns.

Climate? Temperate, coastal moderation. Sure there is A LOT of rain, but that's what keeps the state so beautifully green and lush. The first time anyone I know steps off the plane, they don't shut up for an hour about how green and sylvan the landscape is. If you're tired of the rain, you just pop over the Cascades for a weekend and head to the high desert.

Hot springs? Our mountains are active volcanos, though not to the point of concern. Lots of geothermal activity makes for plenty of secluded areas to soak your bones and relax. Some are crowded with sketchy hippies, but most of them are too lazy to hike to the best of the pools.

I'm sure lots of states out there could one up Oregon in one or several of these categories, and I know the climate bugs some people out (myself included, at times), but for a total package I don't think any other state comes close. If all goes well, I'll be here for the long haul.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
sam_little said:
Work? Well, jobs are harder to come by here than in some other states, but there is something for everyone. They call Portland the "silicon forest." Lots of tech jobs around the area. How about natural resources? Whether you're on the green side or brown side of that game, there is plenty to pay the bills. Bend has a rapidly growing healthcare industry.
Im majoring in Fisheries Management/Conservation, my girl is almost a Physical therapist. Oregan is DEFINITELY on our short list.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
BurlyShirley said:
Im majoring in Fisheries Management/Conservation, my girl is almost a Physical therapist. Oregan is DEFINITELY on our short list.
So your dip in the canal a few weeks back was research?

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
In Kansas, no one can hear you scream ;)

California factoids:
The most litigious state in the union. We have more lawyers and lawyers in training than any other state.
The California constitution is over 430 pages!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
BurlyShirley said:
First, it's "Oregon".

Second, it's pronounced "Oregun".

There is a lot to ride here too, but house prices suck!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
jimmydean said:
First, it's "Oregon".

Second, it's pronounced "Oregun".

There is a lot to ride here too, but house prices suck!
I had a native american friend from a reservation there who called it "The Oregon"

House prices...whatever. You're in debt till you die one way or another.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
sam_little said:
Oregon is terrible. Absolutely an awful state in every way. You don't want to move here...

Ride mtn. bikes? We have a buttload of single track, USFS land with endless trails, two budding and well known downhill / freeride areas. Two lift serviced mountains. Roadie? There is an ungodly number of secondary roads through farmland, forests and mountains.
Ha, too late! After 4 days down in Central OR. last weekend. We are looking at moving down there:) After living in WA. forever we had no clue how awesome the terrian was down there.

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
BurlyShirley said:
That's simply insane to me. For a million dollars, I seriouly could get 500 acres of land and a 3 story 5 bedroom house, NO PROBLEM.
Yeah but you are still in Tennesse!

I have lived in Ca for most of my life(all but 3.5 years...goddamed military) I hated Upstate NY and didnt really like TX all that much. Arizona was cool. But none compared to California.

I have driven through TN and I will definitely return someday to visit...beautiful drive reminded me of parts of NorCal.

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
It's tough to lumb a state as large as CA in one category - there are places in this state that I wouldn't live if you gave me a house for free, (Needles or LA for instance) but others that are as good as or better than anywhere in the world. My own CA has sweet trails one mile from my front door that I can ride year round. The beach is a 10 mile ride on trails. I don't have to worry about rain until November. There aren't any annoying bugs when I'm drinking beer in my back yard. I ride my bike in bike lanes to work every day, again with no concern about the weather - or I can ride from work to home on singletrack. I have a great view on the mountains from my house. I made 140 grand on a condo in 2 years.

Not to like? Being from the east I miss the woods. The price of admission out here is high. Living in a place where people actually want to be brings people - craploads of people. And I hate people.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
I Are Baboon said:
One more good thing about our neck of the woods: There are at least a couple dozen monkeys within a two hour drive who actually SHOW UP for rides and events. Just look at the Monkeyfest attendance, 24 hour races we've done, and all the pics we've posted. :)
:stupid:

Just off of the top of my head:

-High paying jobs and plenty of good companies around
-Tons of stuff to do every weekend
-Lots of mtb riders
-DH via relatively short car ride - Mt Snow, Attitash, etc.
-Tons of good highly technical riding. In addition to 'Nam and Lynn, there are dozens of great places to ride. (I think a lot of people take it for granted)
-Boston <1 hour. (Food, concerts, sports, etc)
-Numerous beaches
-New Hamshire and the White's 2-3 hour drive
-Maine (beaches and Portland) 2-3 hour drive
-VT with Burlington and KT (2-4 hours)
-Different seasons
-Long Trail, Otter Creek, Allagash, and Harpoon beer (lots of other good microbrewery locally throughout NE)
-Organizations like Nemba that have formed great relationships with land managers and parks that allow tons of trail building and access.
-Having several good LBS's to choose from

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
BurlyShirley said:
Exactly. I could see myself living in Northern California, but wow, those people... not sure if I could do it.

Plus paying a million dollars for a house with no drywall seems like a bad deal.
Well, Brian lives more in "middle" california if you ask me. If you live anywhere north of sacramento that really Norcal. Houseing is much better, riding is much better, You are way close to Lake Tahoe, Shasta, and almanor. In the summer its freakin awesome

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
sam_little said:

In all seriousness: Amazing coast, forests, mountains, and desert. We DO have every major type of landform, and many unique to the state. We're almost the size of CA, but have less than 1/10th the people. Only one major city, but it makes up for it by being a great one. What do you like to do?

Surf? So long as you don't mind sharks and cold water, there is plenty around.

Ski and Snowboard? While they call it Cascade Concrete, I find the conditions here to be peachy. Good dense snow makes for a strong snowpack with killer backcountry and decent lift service. Plenty to keep you entertained, and you can be on a mountain within two hours of any town east of the coast range and around Bend.

Fish? Are you kidding? Salmon, steelhead, trout, bass, etc. Big rivers, small streams; it doesn't matter what kind you enjoy, it's all here.

Camping/Backpacking? The amount of wilderness in this state is ridiculous. Whether or not you like wilderness as a matter of principle, it's hard to deny the beauty of the snow-capped Cascades.

Mountaineering? Did someone say snow-capped Cascades? Glacier skiing, technical routes, etc.

Climbing? Smith Rock is one of the premier sport climbing areas in the country. No big wall stuff here, but plenty to keep anyone that enjoys the sport quite happy.

Music? Portland has a great local music scene, especially if you like indie stuff. All the major acts that are worth a damn make a point to stop in Portland on almost every tour, and many of them have surprise shows in Eugene.

Paddling? Premier Cascade rivers and steep chutes abound. Waterfalls to scare the most seasoned professionals, and plenty of mellow stuff to get into the sports.

Hunting? Elk, deer, upland game birds, waterfowl, epic goose hunting (if that can be epic), turkey. If you're the killing type, there is plenty to do here.

Democrat? Republican? It's a liberal state, but the political lines are roughly divided by the Cascades. Lefts live left (west), rights live right.

Work? Well, jobs are harder to come by here than in some other states, but there is something for everyone. They call Portland the "silicon forest." Lots of tech jobs around the area. How about natural resources? Whether you're on the green side or brown side of that game, there is plenty to pay the bills. Bend has a rapidly growing healthcare industry. Design? Portland is a design stronghold, with more black-glasses-and-turtleneck-clad yupsters than you can shake an uzzi at.

Drink beer? Oh dear god... please make it go away before I kill my liver. Rogue, Deschutes, Terminal Gravity, Full Sail, Bridgeport, Siletz, et al. It is the microbrew capital of the country by far.

Cost of living? It isn't cheap to live here, but it isn't expensive either. The median home price in Portland and Corvallis is pretty high by midwestern standards, but there are plenty of other affordable towns.

Climate? Temperate, coastal moderation. Sure there is A LOT of rain, but that's what keeps the state so beautifully green and lush. The first time anyone I know steps off the plane, they don't shut up for an hour about how green and sylvan the landscape is. If you're tired of the rain, you just pop over the Cascades for a weekend and head to the high desert.

Hot springs? Our mountains are active volcanos, though not to the point of concern. Lots of geothermal activity makes for plenty of secluded areas to soak your bones and relax. Some are crowded with sketchy hippies, but most of them are too lazy to hike to the best of the pools.

I'm sure lots of states out there could one up Oregon in one or several of these categories, and I know the climate bugs some people out (myself included, at times), but for a total package I don't think any other state comes close. If all goes well, I'll be here for the long haul.
Sub Warshington for Oregon and it's the same. Biggest difference is pro-sports.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
being away from civilization can suck, though...i've probably been to about a dozen shows in clubs so far this year. if i lived more than 30 miles outside a major city, that number would probably be zero.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Snacks said:
Ha, too late! After 4 days down in Central OR. last weekend. We are looking at moving down there:) After living in WA. forever we had no clue how awesome the terrian was down there.
awesome! hood river area or further south/east?

my thoughts on the places i've lived:

nyc (manhattan, upper east, lower/mid west side, 4 yrs at each):
- was great when it was all i knew
- good for teaching young children (that is me, ages 1-9) that the world has all types, including drunk crazy dudes wandering around naked in front of the hospital at 2 am
- everywhere else seems much greener in comparison
- architecture and the sheer scale of everything lends a certain feeling of alienation and pride simultaneously
- subway system is good, taxis are crazy, some areas of the city are downright depressing
- $$$$ to live
- smog, see photo below (all snapped by me):

boston (cambridge, not the depressing suburbs):
- decent xc riding really close by
- not much to speak of in terms of climbing, nothing like the west coast
- skiing/snow sucks
- seems to have a high incidence of late-20something people in/done with grad school who don't really have a clue what they want
- as a corollary to the above, a good place to go to school
- very nice in terms of getting around town, except that the T (subway) closes at midnight, sooo lame
- lots of nightlife if you figure out how to get home
- late night chinese restaurants!
- $$$ to live, eat, breathe
- tanglewood is nice in the summer
- architecture is an interesting mix of old and new:

portland, oregon (lived in the pearl district for 6 months):
- GREAT RIDING within 1.5 hours, both xc and dh
- not so great riding within the city
- quite a few local riders on rm
- good transit system, nicely laid out city as long as you stay on the west side of the river
- lots of young people there trying to live out the "ideal life" set forth in vw commercials
- $$ to live
- a modest city, both in its personality and its skyline:

seattle (lived in mercer island for a year, tacoma for 7, seattle proper for 2-and-counting):
- great xc riding, but no legal dh to speak of short of oregon, whistler
- whistler is pretty close, 4.5h
- awesome skiing all around, mt. baker, alpental, stevens pass, whistler, backcountry if that's your thing
- good bike path system within seattle (burke-gilman) that lets you ride from downtown to the wineries up north if you wish
- casual culture, by which i mean that people don't dress up much, and many people are "outdoorsy" without being granola
- ample opportunity to get out on the water, whether sailing, kayaking, scuba, whatever
- uniformly attractive people. :D ok, maybe not
- $$$ to live in a trendy neighborhood, $ to $$ if you live a little off the beaten path
- UW is a monster school: #2 in NIH funding so there are two labs doing whatever your research interest may be
- decent bus system, but not so great on weekends
- very good symphony, lots of local music opportunities (maybe a dozen? community orchestras in the area)
- traffic sucks hard if you have to go any distance around rush hour
- the outdoors life: