Quantcast

What Monkey was it that wanted some Tyvek house wrap as a liner for camping?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Thanks n8. Is the roll 10' tall? By how long? I could probably use what ever big chunks you could find. I'd probably make a foot print for my tent and maybe a few other things.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jdschall said:
Thanks n8. Is the roll 10' tall? By how long? I could probably use what ever big chunks you could find. I'd probably make a foot print for my tent and maybe a few other things.

I reckon that I have probably a 10 x 40-50+ ft roll left over...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
N8 said:
I reckon that I have probably a 10 x 40-50+ ft roll left over...

Holy crap. That's more than I would ever need. Maybe you should post this up in the slip and slide thread? :rofl: I'll take 20' off your hands if you think that's reasonable to ship. I think you should be able to fold it up and put it in a small box with out much trouble.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
jdschall said:
Holy crap. That's more than I would ever need. Maybe you should post this up in the slip and slide thread? :rofl: I'll take 20' off your hands if you think that's reasonable to ship. I think you should be able to fold it up and put it in a small box with out much trouble.

Well, it's either ship it to someone who wants it or have my laborers toss it in the dumpster...

I'll see at lunch how easy it will be to fold up ect..

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
N8 said:
Actually looks like the roll is closer to 100'+ and is 10' or 12' wide....
Who did the estimating/purchasing for that project?

= Fired!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I actually sat here and thought for a few minutes what I'd use a giant piece of tyvek for, just because tyvek is such cool stuff. But I don't think I have a particularly good use for it :p

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
binary visions said:
I actually sat here and thought for a few minutes what I'd use a giant piece of tyvek for, just because tyvek is such cool stuff. But I don't think I have a particularly good use for it :p

you are such a nerd!

:rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
binary visions said:
:stupid:

I was thinking it might be good for letting bodies decompose yet limiting the horrible smell.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
you are such a nerd!
I know. I saw the thread and started thinking about it again. It's ridiculous :banghead:

I considered that I could make a grill cover out of it, but I have a perfectly good grill cover that's not white and doesn't say "TYVEK" all over it :p. It would make a good tarp, but again, tarps aren't exactly expensive and I've got no real reason to have an especially ugly Tyvek tarp.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Wow... I did not know that...

I've found HomeWrap® to be 1/3 less the weight of a nylon tarp of equal size. It is just as plyable after washing as nylon and as durable. I've made tarps, ponchos, pack covers and ground covers with HomeWrap®.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
I usually don't save anything from one build to the next because I can only store so much sh!t.... :p

Great way to run a business. What would be the ROI on a small storage unit?

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
Great way to run a business. What would be the ROI on a small storage unit?

believe me it's not worth it... I saved stuff from 1998-2000 and had more crap that I could handle so now I either sell it off, give it away or trash it.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
Brian HCM#1 said:
Dude, save it for the next house and save some $
no crap that stuff is like $180.00.??? per roll ...when N8 mails it to, you I hope you send him a case of beer or something....

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
PM me addresses if you want the some... I'll send free to the first 5 Monkeys who PM moi (and I already have one so there's 4 left)... after that it's gonna be shipping plus paid to my paypal.

:)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Dartman said:
I've been in the Spruance plant where they make it. It comes out looking like a bunch of cans of silly string going off at once. Then gets rolled into a sheet. They also make "Pop Tart" wrappers there, silver Mylar along with the firemans friend, Nomex and the policemans friend Kevlar.

Mike

Yeah, saw that it was made in VA. Lots of cool stuff is made from "non-woven" fabrics these days using the process you described. Probably the number one thing most people would be familar with are hospital scrubs.