Quantcast

What NORBA should learn from Rotorua

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
When I see the crowds at Worlds, I am thinking how cool it is to have a bunch of fans supporting riders.

Knowing NORBA's idea about putting events near big cities, I am telling you that is a bad idea. I bet the Worlds is the biggest sporting event in NZ (except for Rugby), and the local support is astonding.

Was every fan there a biker? Probably not. I bet the same amount of riders who attend a Nationals were at Rotorua, but there were probably more casual fans there than all the Nationals combined.

Instead of f-ups like Sonoma, maybe Nationals should be in places like Montana or Idaho, where the local support should be much greater than the apothetic city dwellers which is Norba's target audience.

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
We know after Fontana that big cities are not the answer, there were probably 10 million people within a few hours and the only spectators were family/friends/other bikers and those goth Mexicans.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I think you may be on to something. I've been to a few local races that where out in the middle of nowhere and lots of locals showed up just to see what was going on. If there is NOTHING else going on in town, lots of people will show. At one particular race, we used the city trucks to shuttle, for free.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
In SF, one negative is there is so much to do here, from surfing to skiing, that people get wishywashy about their commitments

sinister37

Chimp
Jul 8, 2005
Boise, ID
Boise, ID specifically Bogus Basin is trying to get a norba next year at a resort only 30 min. from downtown. If we get it I expect there to be a large number of people showing up, we have the terrain and the community to be one of the better nationals next year. Heres hoping that norba gets it together in 07.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
two ski resorts that should have nationals here in mt. big sky-nasssttttttyyy and lost trail Z(first needs to build bike trails but the terrain possibilities are endless and perfect)

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
If Big Mountain could pull their stuff together for bikers in Whitefish there could be a nice Norba up there too. There's some awesome terrain and some good talent there but the resort hasn't quite caught on to downhilling.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
You should see the amount of spectators in Lake Placid for the Ironman. Definately not all tri-athletes.
We must attract 10 to 15 thousand just to check it out. And that's in a town of only 2000 residents.
We could easily host a world class downhill event here in Lake Placid.

Downhill Mike

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
I suspect part of the reason that NORBA does these races near a major city is to make it easier for those out of the area to get to them. I know that having Nationals at Mammoth would have been a lot cooler, but it was really easy to get to Sonoma from the East Coast.

Then again, I'd drive a bunch more for a real race...

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I just wonder if it has been considered that for this sport, a resort open to such events is not exactly in the most convenient locations. For example, if you live in North Carolina, or Virginia beach, to go to any major event, one has to drive 6 hours (Avg.) to get to a resort worthwhile having said event.

It's like skiing. People travel all over the place to get to a place that actually have a great place to ski. The most convenient locations for DH or skiing is not necessarily the best riding for the DH'er or skier.

If one does not do either sport, why drive all that way to just spectate? Convenience v. reward. for us its obvious, for the spectator, not so much.

hbfrdh

Chimp
Mar 23, 2004
I think the problem with Fontana was that it was held during the same time as UCI WC#1. If it were a different weekend so more of the pros could be there, it would have been a different story. Also, with how NORBA has handled gravity races lately, more and more pros are opting not to race the NORBAs.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Skinsuits are hot!

I know that go-ride's crew shyed away from Sonoma, just for the lame factor of the whole thing.

Personally I think we need a millionaire philanthropist to come in and bail the whole thing out...

Jul 19, 2005
Manizales, COLOMBIA
the same happens here! races in bigger cities dont get too much audience, but races in small cities or towns get too much audience! Being our races small compared to NORBA´S you should get more people!! so come on dont let our beautiful sport die!!

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
Yeah there was huge amounts of crowds at the worlds, but there was 5 min promotional spots just before the news on one of the main channels in NZ for 2 weeks, and tonnes of radio advertising all over the show.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Getting people there is key, but also making sure they have a good time spectating helps too. I'll bet you'd get more people comming back and telling their friends if people just had a little map of the course with key spots to stand at marked and a decent trail to get there. I know a lot of people who have causually gone out to watch a race and didn't really enjoy themselves because they didn't know what was going on when, where or what the good places to spectate from were.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
Ding ding ding, we have a winner. Its called marketing.
seriously... do promoters honestly think that sheer proximity will attract spectators? if they don't know it's going on, they're sure as hell not going to show up... if you want non-riders to show up, advertise in non-rider venues, tv, publications, etc. :rant:

kiwiintexas

Chimp
Nov 30, 2005
The big thing that NZ has is the fact that we are a sporting nation, anything that involves world wide competition tends to do well. in saying that the NZ biking body supports the sport of mountain biking well. I am glad that the worlds went well and hope that its not just a one off type deal.
As for in the US...
Bassically we all know Norba sucks a** and will try and rape as much money from an event as possible. They have to be willing to put everything race fee etc straight back into an event for it to start to work and its well known that thats not going to happen. Marketing is a start...

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
in saying that the NZ biking body supports the sport of mountain biking well. I am glad that the worlds went well and hope that its not just a one off type deal.
As for in the US...
Bassically we all know Norba sucks a** and will try and rape as much money from an event as possible. They have to be willing to put everything race fee etc straight back into an event for it to start to work and its well known that thats not going to happen. Marketing is a start...
the NZ cycling body supports mountainbiking yes, well NO!!!
Yeah, they don't suck as much as Norba does, but that would take massive effort to suck that badly. And they take a half the race fees already here.