Quantcast

What pedals?

Hougham

Monkey
Mar 28, 2007
I just got my self a cheap single speed to ride to ride the 12 mile round trip to work and back. The only issue is LOOK Keo I am using make my shoe sit to far forwards and my foot just hits the wheel when a turn. So I was wondering if there are any pedals that you can move then further forward on the shoe? Time or Shimano perhaps? Or perhaps I may even be better using a MTB pedal and shoe?

Cheers

Last edited:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
hmmmm, have you measured that the shoe really isn't in the right spot? For fore/aft, there are many schools of thought about exactly where the cleat should be positioned and there is no definitive answer. The old rule was that the cleat should be positioned such that the ball of your foot is centered over the pedal. New thought has it either slightly in front or behind the ball of the foot depending on shoe size. The main point is to experiment with your cleat position, making minor changes each time.

On my road bike I have a bit of shoe overlap with my front tire.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
hmmmm, have you measured that the shoe really isn't in the right spot? For fore/aft, there are many schools of thought about exactly where the cleat should be positioned and there is no definitive answer. The old rule was that the cleat should be positioned such that the ball of your foot is centered over the pedal. New thought has it either slightly in front or behind the ball of the foot depending on shoe size. The main point is to experiment with your cleat position, making minor changes each time.

On my road bike I have a bit of shoe overlap with my front tire.
:stupid:

I think all of my cross bikes have overlap

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I prefer mtb shoes for commuting, but yeah a little overlap shouldn't be anything to worry about. You might try moving your shoes outboard a little bit to create more room. But really, most turning comes from leaning, not actually turning your bars.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Do you ever actually hit your toe while riding at a normal clip? When I had a cross bike, the tire would contact the toe occasionally when riding on singletrack, but never on the road. Don't think I ever buzzed a toe on my road bike at normal speeds.