Quantcast

What saddle for a lady?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So I'm getting my wonderful girlfriend into mountain biking, but last time we were out she had some chafing/pressure issues with her "lady parts". She's using an old bontrager MTB saddle and schwinn padded shorts, but what's a good, reasonably priced saddle that will take better care of her? Obviously this area is very special to me, so I want to take care of her, but her whole bike cost close to $200, so I don't want to spend half that on a saddle. :cupidarrow:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Okay...since you're looking out for the lady I have some suggestions for you. ;)
My road bike came with a bontrager saddle on it and I HATE it...perhaps one of the most uncomfortable saddles I have personally ridden.

I used to really like my WTB She-V Team saddle (Ti rails...very light) but then I tried my Terry saddle and love it. I have a Damselfly and I have also tried out the Butterfly and the Falcon X. The Damselfly has the least amount of padding and is much more of a race saddle than the other two. The Butterfly has a nice wide sit-bone area and is completely cutout so it's not uncomfortable in her special areas but is still padded enough to be comfortable. The Falcon X was a little larger cutaway than the damselfly & the butterfly and was quite a comfortable saddle. I would suggest checking out Terry's website for some special deals on saddles (they do offer a guarantee).

As for the WTB She saddles are a little less expensive than the Terry Saddles, but I found that they didn't last me as long (I am rough on my stuff apparently) and the stitching would come apart after a season or so.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
ok...noob perspective here...

oddly enough...i have not had ANY problems with the saddle that came with my Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc bike. i have not had the chance to buy any padded shorts, but i haven't felt the need to either. My rides have been great with no issues whatsoever.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Specialized Body geometry saddles, womans designs are set a touch wider on the cutout, and along the nose, Also you get to measure up the width of your/her sit bones to get the exact fit seat. I will link a couple of there seats for you

for MTB
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=EquipSaddlesMTBWmn

for road

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=EquipSaddlesRoadWmn

You can use either, for Mtn biking, I would suggest which ever fits her style the best IE rounded, flat ETC.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My wife likes the WTB SHE seat. She runs the ti-railed version, but I dont see it available anymore.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
So I'm getting my wonderful girlfriend into mountain biking, but last time we were out she had some chafing/pressure issues with her "lady parts". She's using an old bontrager MTB saddle and schwinn padded shorts, but what's a good, reasonably priced saddle that will take better care of her? Obviously this area is very special to me, so I want to take care of her, but her whole bike cost close to $200, so I don't want to spend half that on a saddle. :cupidarrow:

Good lord, $200 for a bike? If you love her you'd spend a lot more than that. A decent saddle may set you back $50 easily.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Another vote for Specialized.
Make sure she's commando under the bike shorts and that she's not riding with her butt glued to the seat.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Another vote for Specialized. Ariel saddle. $60. Worth it and more.

Women's sitz bones are on average 125mm - 140mm wide.
Men's sitz bones are on average 100mm - 120mm wide.

Take a measuring tape and just check it out: where would her sitz bones be located on the saddle, given an average width of 130mm? Does the saddle have a longitudinal ridge in the middle or a raised area that will be uncomfortable? Are there seams in the place where her sitz bones will be? Seams and raised lettering on a saddle act like seams in underwear - if you put your weight on them, they WILL be uncomfortable over time.

Usually, if you put a woman on a typical men's saddle, she is almost guaranteed to have discomfort, and possibly numbness. If you want her to dread biking and not go with you, that is your choice. Having a nice bike yourself while she struggles with a heavier POS 7-speed and a saddle that profiles like a handrail is not only insensitive, it borders on cruel. Pony up and get her a nice saddle, and just choose not to go out to dinner or drinks on two occasions.

Make sure she knows that:
1. Cycling should not be uncomfortable in the first 10 minutes
2. While men ride their saddles flat and level, women tilt theirs down 1-2 degrees. It relieves pressure on the soft tissues and is more comfortable.
3. Adjustments can be made to make the bike fit her body; she should never have to make her body adjust to the bike.

If you are absolutely unable to afford one of these, and you don't see her riding more than 30 min once a week, go for the $25 gel saddle. At such infrequent riding, she will not be putting in the saddle time required to build up muscles over the sitz bones anyway. Like the orthodocs you wear once a week, that hard saddle will always be uncomfortable.

Good luck! Have fun. :)

Graphics - although your saddle is a men's saddle, it has a wide, flat area where the sitz bones go. Although you might not ride with padded shorts, if you start taking hour-long rides regularly, and switch to bike shorts, you will notice the quality of your rides improving.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Whoa, what the hell is with you people personally attacking me? She got a $200-250 USED cannondale F600. It's her first real bike ever, and it's her first time on a mountain bike ever. I'm not going to go out and spend $1500 on something she may or may not ever use, and I'm sorry if this offends you, but she bought it herself. We buy ourselves our toys, and share necessities. SHE wants to get into biking, although I wouldn't mind if she joined our club either, which is why I'm asking about a saddle.

SO, I'm sorry if I don't want to spend $140 on a saddle that's going on a $200 bike. The idea is that she'll get used to this bike, see if she likes it, then if she's having a blast, she'll buy one of your $5000 superfantastic bikes that come WITH a WSD saddle. In the meantime, I'd like to know what's good from women riders and men with women riding partners, so that I can try and pick one up on discount or at least know what to look for. She'll be happier and we can ride for longer.

And for what it's worth, I'm on a $275 used Schwinn homegrown, which is equally as hardtailed and equally undersuspended on the front. So I'm not exactly riding a cadillac while she's on a horse.

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
Graphics - although your saddle is a men's saddle, it has a wide, flat area where the sitz bones go. Although you might not ride with padded shorts, if you start taking hour-long rides regularly, and switch to bike shorts, you will notice the quality of your rides improving.

so far i average about 1.5 - 2 hour rides about 3-4 times a week. i have actually been surprised that i haven't felt the need to buy bike shorts. my previously owned POS bike used to hurt a bit...but i just rode anyhow. so this saddle is a major upgrade. :thumb:

i figure i'll get some bike shorts once i get settled after the move. i'm also expecting my biking to increase.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I have a terry butterfly and I hate it! Every time I ride I go numb. I have a specialized body geometry that I love love love and plan to replace my butterfly with it.

Saddles are so personal. Best of luck. I think it took me at least 5 tries to find my favorite. You should be willing to spend as much money as it takes to find the right fit. I won't get on my XC bike anymore because I hate the saddle.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Whoa, what the hell is with you people personally attacking me? She got a $200-250 USED cannondale F600. It's her first real bike ever, and it's her first time on a mountain bike ever.
you didn't' SAY it was a used Cannondale, I was picturing a POS cheap bike. This is the internet, remember? You have to spell things out or people like me make assumptions.

You still may have to spend around 50 to get a decent saddle unless you can find one used.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
you didn't' SAY it was a used Cannondale, I was picturing a POS cheap bike. This is the internet, remember? You have to spell things out or people like me make assumptions.

You still may have to spend around 50 to get a decent saddle unless you can find one used.
Yeah didnt mean to attack, but this is wear my head went too. I was thinking 200 dollars.... walmart?

But yes, a I hate t say it, but a good saddle, is going to get you for about 50-75 Clams. Jusst do it, it will be worth it, and may be what makes or breaks her for riding.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Don't necessarily assume she needs a chick saddle. An Avatar gel has worked great for many women around here. That said, try Specialized saddles. I hate company branded stuff, but they are really pretty damn nice.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Whoa, what the hell is with you people personally attacking me? She got a $200-250 USED cannondale F600. It's her first real bike ever, and it's her first time on a mountain bike ever. I'm not going to go out and spend $1500 on something she may or may not ever use, and I'm sorry if this offends you, but she bought it herself. We buy ourselves our toys, and share necessities. SHE wants to get into biking, although I wouldn't mind if she joined our club either, which is why I'm asking about a saddle.

SO, I'm sorry if I don't want to spend $140 on a saddle that's going on a $200 bike. The idea is that she'll get used to this bike, see if she likes it, then if she's having a blast, she'll buy one of your $5000 superfantastic bikes that come WITH a WSD saddle. In the meantime, I'd like to know what's good from women riders and men with women riding partners, so that I can try and pick one up on discount or at least know what to look for. She'll be happier and we can ride for longer.

And for what it's worth, I'm on a $275 used Schwinn homegrown, which is equally as hardtailed and equally undersuspended on the front. So I'm not exactly riding a cadillac while she's on a horse.
"What I object to, is that you immediately treat me like an inferior!"
-Oppressed Dennis

I think all the women who have responded are simply having a visceral reaction to a very typical scenario: the guy has a bling bike, wants his gf to ride with him, so he 1) gets himself a DJ bike his size that "she can ride too" or 2) gets a POS bike that is heavy and never shifts right. Either way, she rarely has fun and becomes convinced that biking is stupid and painful. I'm telling you, we see it all the time.

Upon reading your initial post, this seemed to apply to you. While that is not the case, it was impossible to tell at the time. Sorry I called you insensitive. You at least had the sensitivity to post asking for assistance...

You don't have to spend a lot of money, but it's important to make sure that her bike 1) fits her, 2) is appropriate to what she intends to do on it. Many guys don't do this, because, I think, it simply does not occur to them.

Please PM me. I have a women's saddle I no longer use that I will give you.

-sunny