Quantcast

What sets you off?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I still can't calm myself down this morning and this happened over 3 hours ago.

Anyway, I am on my way into work this morning on a busy 4 lane road. This big rusty colored dog runs in front of me and onto the median. I looked at this dog and it looked like a big, pretty, healthy Akita.
So, I could tell the dog was freaking out, and there was about 10 cars coming in the other direction. The dog starts crossing the road,
and that is about the time I lost even more faith in the human race.
Out of those 10 cars, only one of them even slowed down.
The car that slowed down missed the dog, and some azzhole who did not even bother to lift his foot off the gas ran right over this poor dog. And on top of that, he just kept on going.
Seeing this whole thing go down, the thing that kills me is how easy it could have been avoided.
It was so obvious what this dog was gonna do, and if these dip****s would have just slowed down a little, they could have spared this dog's life.
I whipped my truck around to check on it, and believe it or not, some rich lady in a brand new Mercedes had pulled over and ran into the street, picked up the dog, and carried it to the sidewalk.
Luckily, the dog was killed instantly.
I don't know if these drivers were idiots or just plain cruel, but I so wish I could have gotten my hands on them to find out.:mumble:
Nothing on this planet makes me have more violent thoughts than animal cruelty.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
From my experience, there are a lot of people out there who are so preoccupied with their own life that they'd run over PEOPLE to get to work on time.

On top of that, there are a lot of people out there that are just plain cruel and think it's fun to see an animal run over.

I'd like to tie both kinds of people to a set of railroad tracks and slowly back over them with a locomotive.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jeremy.
any of my buddies who know me, know how much i absolutely LOVE animals. any that i've ever owned have lived a very good life. and in turn, make my life better.

about fifteen years ago i witnessed pretty much the same scenario.
with a beautiful black german shepard.
i wished i'd never seen it, because it'll haunt me forever.

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
robdamanii said:
there are a lot of people out there that are just plain cruel and think it's fun to see an animal run over.
You're delusional.

That sucks Jeremy. I hit and killed a beagle in a rainstorm (didn't see him) over 15 years ago and the feeling still sucks...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That makes me furious just thinking about it.

Seriously. Sh*t like that makes me realize that I shouldn't carry a firearm. I am not a high stress person - pretty much take everything in stride - but sometimes people act so far beyond the bounds of reasonable, acceptable behaviour that it makes me crazy.

And now, the dog is dead, the family has to deal with losing their pet, and the guy couldn't even be bothered to stop and find out if there was anything that could have been done.

:redhot:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
I Are Baboon said:
There isn't a lot that sets me off. I'm pretty laid back and mild tempered. I would imagine seeing what Jeremy saw would set me off though.
Yep, I am the same way.
That is obvious by my posts on here.
I am laid back and I try not to take anything serious at all.
But situations like these, I flip out.
When I was a kid, I can remember we were hanging out and riding go-carts one day, and I noticed this dude with a broomstick. As I was walking over to him, he took the end of the broomstick and rammed it through this turtle's shell for no reason.
I beat that dude in an exact replica of the fight in "Christmas Story"
I straight up Ralphied out.:)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
AAARRGGG! How about being in charge of people that are convinced you are out to get them?:rolleyes:

Goodness, talk about getting a life. I actually have my own job to do besides being in charge of a bunch of paranoid, self center ladies:clue: My favorite is went I ask them if there is any thing wrong, it's always 'nothing'.

Thank you for letting me vent:)

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
robdamanii said:
Speaking of animals, how are your greyhounds? Still fostering for them?
We are not fostering any right now. We only had the one foster and he is now in a happy permanent home. :) We just have our one greyhound now. I am sure we'll do more fostering in the future and may even get a second pup of our own. We both volunteer for our local greyhound adoption group, so we could easily get first dibs on dogs coming off the track. :D

Jeremy R said:
Yep, I am the same way.
That is obvious by my posts on here.
I am laid back and I try not to take anything serious at all.
But situations like these, I flip out.
When I was a kid, I can remember we were hanging out and riding go-carts one day, and I noticed this dude with a broomstick. As I was walking over to him, he took the end of the broomstick and rammed it through this turtle's shell for no reason.
I beat that dude in an exact replica of the fight in "Christmas Story"
I straight up Ralphied out.:)
hahaha......poor Scott Farcas(sp?).

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
I HATE, HATE, HATE when something happens to animals. I see news stories everyday about people getting shot, stabbed, etc. and couldn't care less, but when I see one on animal abuse I'm fuming for a few days. It seriously pisses me off. Just a few days ago when it was like 90 something degrees out some local lady decided it would be a good idea to go to the movies and leave her 5 month old puppy in the car!:mumble: WTF! As I get older I am finding that I despise most people.:D

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
yeah, that would set me off too. A little over a year ago, someone was driving down our street and ran over our dachshund, killed him instantly, but the sorry sack of f#cking sh!t didn't even stop, it happened right in front of our driveway

that sucks Jeremy, I would hate to witness that

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Sorgie said:
I HATE, HATE, HATE when something happens to animals. I see news stories everyday about people getting shot, stabbed, etc. and couldn't care less, but when I see one on animal abuse I'm fuming for a few days. It seriously pisses me off. Just a few days ago when it was like 90 something degrees out some local lady decided it would be a good idea to go to the movies and leave her 5 month old puppy in the car!:mumble: WTF! As I get older I am finding that I despise most people.:D
Sorgie needs a hug ;)

I am FURIOUS just thinking about what you saw! Not only am I angry at the jacka$$ that hit the dog, but I can't help but wonder what about his owners....where are they, why is the dog running around in traffic? I live in a rural area and there are dogs running loose everywhere, but I can't imagine letting my dog out of my site near a busy 4 lane road. So sad :(

Edit: I actually hit a dog one night several years ago. IT was dark and raining and he was an all-black dog, running down the middle of my lane (away from me) as I rounded a corner. I slammed on my brakes when I saw him (about 1 second before impact). The dog died and I was in tears thinking about how I had killed someone's pet. I went to the nearby homes to find the owner and ended up calling the local vet clinic to see if they knew who's dog it was...no tags except a very worn out-dated rabies tag. I never was able to find the owners :( but the neighbors weren't surprised at all and knew which dog I was talking about as they described him as "always in the road, bound to get hit".

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Of course there is warranted rage against the heartless driver who hit the dog, and the other people who didn't slow down.

But there is also serious rage that should be reserved for the owner of such a beautiful animal who didn't care for it enough to keep track of it.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Ok, here's a heart-warming story from a few years back - I was driving into work down a dual-carriageway (70mph) - kinda like a four-line highway - when I see lots of cars braking very suddenly ahead and swerving like crazy. I slow down as a precaution and as I get close I see what the cause is - a duck is leading her brood of ducklings across the road, in line astern. They'd already made it across the other two lanes and got across this one with no casualties. It was good to see that people cared that day.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Echo said:
But there is also serious rage that should be reserved for the owner of such a beautiful animal who didn't care for it enough to keep track of it.
Maybe. It could have been neglect that got the dog lost.

However, my family has always taken phenominal care of our pets, they are carefully looked after, given lots of affection, and every penny necessary is spent to make sure that while they're still happy - no matter how old they are - they get whatever medical treatment they need.

None of that stopped our year old, beautiful fawn colored Boxer from taking off one day for reasons unknown and being killed in the road on his way home :(

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Echo said:
So because my dogs can jump the fence at will, open a gate, etc. and get out and run around, I don't care about my dogs? I do my best to fix things so they can't get out, but dogs can be very crafty when they want something.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
binary visions said:
Maybe.

My family has always taken phenominal care of our pets, they are carefully looked after, given lots of affection, and every penny necessary is spent to make sure that while they're still happy - no matter how old they are - they get whatever medical treatment they need.

None of that stopped our year old, beautiful fawn colored Boxer from taking off one day for reasons unknown and being killed in the road on his way home :(
Good point. I have known people who really did care for their dogs but sometimes they just get out. I should have worded differently.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
Echo said:
Of course there is warranted rage against the heartless driver who hit the dog, and the other people who didn't slow down.

I thought about that, but figured that the dog broke its leash or bolted out before the owner could catch it. The thought of someone letting it run free would have infuriated me even more.:redhot: :nuts:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
:mumble: :mumble: :mad: :mad: :redhot: :redhot: :redhot:

Sometimes I just frikkin hate people. It's nice to see the responses of people here though. It helps to know that there are people in the world that do care about things other than themselves.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
my ex used to get all emotional when ever we'd be out and about and she'd see a horse or some animal that didn't look properly cared for.
i always tried to tell her that all you can do is take the best care of the ones you have.
at the time we lived way out in the country, with two horses, two bloodhounds, a yellow lab, one mutt and four cats.
and every one of em were fat and happy.
talk about a full time job.

and j.r. i can't tell you how many times terry and i have been riding up here at windrock. and as we were ripping wheel to wheel down the mt. whoever was in the lead would suddenly slam on the brakes and yell, TURTLE !! pick the little guy up and proceed to get right back after it.
(you would be amazed at all the wildlife activity in our little oasis.)

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Echo said:

Maybe, maybe not. Even the best dog owner can lose track of a dog under certain circumstances.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Echo said:
Good point. I have known people who really did care for their dogs but sometimes they just get out. I should have worded differently.
Like when the meter dude drops by and doesn't close the gate properly. That pisses me off to no end.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
both of my bloodhounds got out once. i actually got on my mt.bike and tracked them down.

at the time i had a 14mi. singletrack loop with the trailhead about 100yds. from my driveway. i went over and saw their tracks. those goofballs got out and saw a chance to go for a ride without me. i'm still not sure who was happier to see who when we finally met up on the trail.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I wasn't there, but all drivers are trained to avoid hitting anything. Was there a blind spot possibly?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
sanjuro said:
I wasn't there, but all drivers are trained to avoid hitting anything. Was there a blind spot possibly?
Actually it was worse than I even described it.
All 10 or so of these cars were coming from a red light.
They were all hundreds of yards away when the dog first got onto the median.
Only one car slowed down, and that was the one that avoided hitting the dog. The guy that hit the dog was actually still accelerating.
Animals get hit all the time and most of the time it cannot be avoided,
but this was different.

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
TreeSaw said:
Edit: I actually hit a dog one night several years ago. IT was dark and raining and he was an all-black dog, running down the middle of my lane (away from me) as I rounded a corner. I slammed on my brakes when I saw him (about 1 second before impact). The dog died and I was in tears thinking about how I had killed someone's pet.
Basically the exact same thing happened to me earlier this year, except I almost hit the kids first who were chasing it through the fog on a narrow, winding backroad near my house. I cried all the way home and felt like such utter ****, even though I knew I couldn't have done anything differently and wasn't even going the speed limit because of the conditions. It's hard to forget because my license plate was bent, so I'm constantly reminded of it.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Jeremy R said:
Actually it was worse than I even described it.
All 10 or so of these cars were coming from a red light.
They were all hundreds of yards away when the dog first got onto the median.
Only one car slowed down, and that was the one that avoided hitting the dog. The guy that hit the dog was actually still accelerating.
Animals get hit all the time and most of the time it cannot be avoided,
but this was different.
Even if I hated dogs, I would at least worry about damage to my car.

I would have slowed to a stop and honk until the dog left the road.

MisterClean

Monkey
Jan 20, 2006
SoCal Supermarket Shelves
robdamanii said:
From my experience, there are a lot of people out there who are so preoccupied with their own life that they'd run over PEOPLE to get to work on time.
You must commute by bicycle. I like yelling, "Get off the friggin' phone and drive, moron!" at them.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Hmmmm....

I have dealt with people bringing their dogs to one of the clinics I worked at in the trunk of their car. Locked under the tonneau cover of their pick up. People failing to take the choke collar that they got their cute chow puppy off when it was twenty pounds and wondering what that smell was coming from around his neck now that he is around fifty pounds. Only then realising the choker is now embedded in the skin and has to be cut off with the bolt cutters from the gas station next door. People driving off from the clinic with the dog hanging off the side of the bed of their pick up truck by their leash.

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
A lot of people shouldn't have pets. A lot of people WITH pets shouldn't have pets. These people have no empathy and likely make poor parents and mediocre at best employees.

But there's a lot of them.

Now, on the other hand, there's G-man.

I've known this guy for about 17 years, we've worked together in a couple of different jobs, etc.

So, he's a little self-obsessed. Not a big deal, makes for interesting rants.

However, he is the biggest, warmest sap you ever met. Here's where it ties in:

Some years ago he was going from point A to point B in Santa Barbara along the 101 - the busy, main 4-6 lane divided highway that connects that little burg with the rest of the world.

He's zooming along through traffic, a little late for work, and notices on the OPPOSITE side a dog - just some mix-breed, i think - walking along the shoulder, looking around, somewhat nervous, maybe disoriented.

He takes the next exit, crosses over, and drives back along the wrong way to the dog, dodges out of traffic, pulls over and stops, gets out and after some 'here puppy puppy' and stuff, collars the dog, gets him into the CAB of his truck and takes him to the shelter. Which is even further out of the way of his job.

I don't know what the ultimate end of the story is - it was a long time ago - but to most people who know him only a little, this was so totally out of their understanding that it left a few of them open-mouthed.

One of his best friends, another not-a-pet-lover has 4 cats and a dog. But if you ask him does he "love animals?" you'll get a litany of all the annoying things they do and how much he'd love to not have any of them. (he's a big fat liar, but i never call him on it)

I can't tell you the number of dogs and cats i've temporarily taken care of, nor the number of them i've taken to vets nor the amount of money i've spent on these critters.

I'm just trying to say, there's a few people out there who DO give a damn.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i hit a dog once. i was driving 55 in a built up jeep with no sway bars and 33 inch tires. traffic coming towards me traffic behind me. the dogg ran full speed into the front end of my jeep. the only decision i had time to make was this:

slam on the brakes and roll and flip the jeep possibly into oncoming traffic or hit the dog. I hit the dog.if i had been able to stop without toatlling my jeep or slamming into on coming traffic i would have but there wasnt a chance in hell that was gonna happen especially on that little two lane road.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Well, didnt read the entire post but this is my standpoint on the subject, Really feel bad the dog got hit, always sucks, someone lost there friend and companion, i myself am a dog lover/owner. My Dog has been hit by a car right in front of me when i was across the street and she was trying to get to me....... Long story on how she got out, but She was doing what she was trained to do, and that is to Stay next to me when near the road.

Now as far as people being cruel and not slowing down on the busy street, i am sorry but as much as i love dogs, and as much as i dont want to see them get hurt, they are just dogs. I myself would not have swerved or slowed on a Busy 4 lane road for a dog Due to the risk of a Car accident and people getting hurt. For the afformentioned reasons of .... People not paying attention, too high of a risk of being rear ended when Slowing at that speeds, Etc. Lots of factors there, Still Sucks to see something like that. ****ty part is that the Dogs owner Is responsible to pay for damaged to the car. So like i said Sucks for the dog, but sometimes bad things happen, and the Lesser of two evils must be chosen