Quantcast

What Should Have Been & The Glory Days Of Downhill Thread.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
2 Things:

1. On the superco thing, one of my best buds still rides his all the time. Love that bike.
2. Much love for the OG monster, one hangs in my garage and will never leave my possession. That's all for now.

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
Tried to buy a Superco dirt jumper around 10 years ago from Go-Ride. Wouldn't deliver to Australia. Alas. On the bright side, V-Dub (the trials guy from Down) wrote me the email.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Last edited:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
They say "produced in 2002"......would that be a 2003 model year though?

There happens to be a pic of a 2002 Monster (or something? homemade SC?), 2003 Monster and 200? Super Monster.....pretty obvious to me the SM is 2003 as well. The graphics and arch are the dead giveaway for me.

1618233955121.png

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

There happens to be a pic of a 2002 Monster (or something? homemade SC?), 2003 Monster and 200? Super Monster.....pretty obvious to me the SM is 2003 as well. The graphics and arch are the dead giveaway for me.

View attachment 158933

It was a completely different lower, arch, and crowns too. 02 and prior Monsters had their lowers terminate at the axle, they had machined arches and machined crowns. 03 and onward had lowers that extended beyond the axle, the signature M-arch, and solid crowns with DM stem capability.

But yes, I seem to recall MYs for forks being kind of like cars. 2003 MY products would have been released in 2002.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

View attachment 158933

its possible. were the industry lizards doing MY fuckery that far back? or is this revisionist lizard history?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 6.52.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-12 at 6.52.44 AM.png

Gotta admire their ads and their attempt at making some of these failed LA starlets into legit models....

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
one of the years i was a mechanic the shop manager came back from interbike with a signed marzocchi poster for me. i might even still have it somewhere.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
2003 was the first year of the Super Monster. 02 was just the regular and it was still pretty reasonable. 03 they went to a Monster and a Super Monster, and beefed them up a lot.

My recollection is consistent with @CrabJoe StretchPants.

View attachment 158933

Maybe it just signed a letter of intent in 2002?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
But yes, I seem to recall MYs for forks being kind of like cars. 2003 MY products would have been released in 2002.
I believe there was also only ever 1 production run of Super Monsters, so they were all 02s, and also 05s. Depending on what year you bought it in, that's the year it was. Could be some "2021s" kicking around the warehouse somewhere, who knows.

We sold a Banshee Scream with one in early '05, the thing had clearly been re-stickered, as you could still see the old sticky goop on the lowers where the OG black and white stickers had been removed and new red/black ones installed. That was when Zoke was shipping forks in the black padded cases, but of course the case was too short to fit a 12" travel fork, so it came halfway in the case that was then inside a preposterously long box.

I'm not sure what the dumbest bike I sold back in my wrench days was, but surprisingly the Scream with a Super Monster and Gazzalodis on double-wide rims wasn't it. We moved a fair number of Risse forks, enough that the entire top 10 list of dumb builds probably all had Risses on them.

Hah, my buddy from high school still has his kicking around the shop still on his Bullit I think. If I really found the need or want for one I'm sure I could steal his. But I appreciate the offer.

For me that fork just brings back a lot of great memories of riding for me.
Same. Had one on a Stinky 9, built it thinking I was a sick as fuck huck-master, as it turns out, I'm neither sick as fuck, nor a huck-master, probably not even a huck-apprentice to be honest. I did however have a lot of fun on that bike, and all the dudes I wanted to be like rode Monster Ts back then. One day maybe my barstool will get built, that or I'll sell it to a sketchy Russian hucker for like 15k Dodgecoins

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
^Obviously a Super Monster is the only answer. Or a Risse Bigfoot if you can find one.

That Scream was the best worst bike I ever had. As opposed to my old RFX, which was the worst best bike.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
as long as we're at it, my old huck machine. also probably one of the only photos of me riding it, probably 2003, and this was taken on film.

s-works DH, shiver, 26/24 mullet doublewides, hayes 9s.

IMG_20210412_115727.jpg

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Do we have a nostalgia thread? If not, we need one.

IRC Kujo DH? Look at that front brake line flying around all free, just begging to be ripped off.
kujo dh on the rear. i think that was a gazzi on the front.

IIRC this was taken shortly after being built, and i hadn't bothered to shorten the brake line yet.

and we should start a nostalgia / huck machine thread :rofl:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Never got all that fascination about hucking, always was into lighter/racier bikes. Z1 on the trail/freeride bike, Dorado on the M1.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Never got all that fascination about hucking, always was into lighter/racier bikes. Z1 on the trail/freeride bike, Dorado on the M1.
I lived through both the hucker craze and the DH racer craze. The hucker craze was infinitely more fun, in my opinion. The race thing was always more like a fashion show than riding bikes. Also didn't help I wasn't fast and spent my practice days just hucking shit.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I lived through both the hucker craze and the DH racer craze. The hucker craze was infinitely more fun, in my opinion. The race thing was always more like a fashion show than riding bikes. Also didn't help I wasn't fast and spent my practice days just hucking shit.
My hucker friends were just into destroying as many bike parts as possible. If you did not break anything you were not part of the cool kids. (Un)fortunately I am not a fatty...ahem...I mean ebike rider...ahem...I mean plus size, yeah, that is it. So that makes destroying parts harder.
With the racing friends we were hanging out, checking lines, sessioning sections, "feeding off each other". Much more relaxed while still somewhat competitive on a skills level, which nicely pushed my progression of riding.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Fitting to this thread, this showed up on my doorstep this morning.
Uzzi_DH.jpg

Now I just need to get @buckoW to sell me one of his Haros for my collection of "golden era of DH" Intense frames. *hint*hint*

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
2nd gen 200mm
So was there any truth to that fork using actual motoX damping cartridges and being fairly decent from a damping point of view? I sawed open the old HSCV cart and it was just a tiny crude small piston with a rivet and two of the same diameter shims on top. Rebound was a check-valve orifice deal. Even the much later RC3 was not far removed, worse in some ways. This was about as crude as you could get, although even the old Monster chassis was pretty sweet from a chassis point of view, dynamic bushing, slotted stanchions. If you go looking through old Marzocchi catalogs you can find the trials fork it was made from, basically just added a brace and modified the axle a bit, but otherwise looked exactly the same.

hscv2.jpg

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
So was there any truth to that fork using actual motoX damping cartridges and being fairly decent from a damping point of view? I sawed open the old HSCV cart and it was just a tiny crude small piston with a rivet and two of the same diameter shims on top. Rebound was a check-valve orifice deal. Even the much later RC3 was not far removed, worse in some ways. This was about as crude as you could get, although even the old Monster chassis was pretty sweet from a chassis point of view, dynamic bushing, slotted stanchions. If you go looking through old Marzocchi catalogs you can find the trials fork it was made from, basically just added a brace and modified the axle a bit, but otherwise looked exactly the same.

View attachment 158950

I always thought it felt great. I was much younger and faster back then. Rode with guys way above my skill level and tried keeping up. It never worked. I think it just had a shit ton of oil. Large springs and tracked like a kife through butter with the stiff chassis.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO

Some old school Tunnel runs. I believe he holds the unofficial record somewhere in the high 7-minute mark I think....