Quantcast

What Should Have Been & The Glory Days Of Downhill Thread.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I've got a set of carbon Dorados and my 32mm Boxxer from 2009-2013. I'd love a set of Shivers and a Monster T. I always keep an eye out for them in the classifieds but it would appear I'm not alone in my old man dreaming cos they go quickly.

I'd love a set of the Z1s I first had with the dual disc mounts and bolt on arch and crown.
Try the vintage dh mtb fb page, that seems to be where most of the trading happens. Much of that stuff never hits a buy/sell or eBay.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Didn't Honda have two different versions of their gearbox DH bike? One that used a derailleur and one that used some kind of reciprocating CVT? I can't find any info on the CVT version. Perhaps it was all in my head, I was eating a lot of mushrooms back then.
Honda RN01-1.jpg
Honda-RN01-2.jpg
Honda-RN01-3.jpg
Honda-RN01-4.jpg
Honda RN01-1.jpg
Honda-RN01-2.jpg
Honda-RN01-3.jpg
Honda-RN01-4.jpg

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Didn't Honda have two different versions of their gearbox DH bike? One that used a derailleur and one that used some kind of reciprocating CVT? I can't find any info on the CVT version. Perhaps it was all in my head, I was eating a lot of mushrooms back then.
Honda_RN01-17468.jpg
Honda_RN01-17469.jpg
Honda_RN01-17470.jpg
Honda_RN01-17472.jpg
Honda_RN01-17473.jpg
Honda_RN01-17474.jpg

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
That trail only barely resembles what's in that video now after a couple of big fires up there, and erosion...from rain and rockslides, believe it or not, rather than mountain bikes, which actually ended up doing fuck-all for erosion once large chunks of the mountain decided to go for a slip'n'slide.

The whole thing is much rougher now, but the fastest times are being set being set by 140-170mm 29'ers. I don't think anyone was ever setting times in in the 7's. There are a bunch of different places to start timing from, and a couple to stop timing from, but none were ever THAT short.

The last time I rode it was on the Zerode G2. The fastest I ever made it from the top of the road to the bottom road was about 15-16 minutes. That was probably in 2002 because I was on the DHR and my blood sugar was like 45 literally almost died on the hill. But man I was loosey goosy and smooth on way down.

I think the best run I ever had was in the pissing rain the entire way. Not a single fucking rich snobby hiker the whole trail. Was slippery as hell but still fun. You ever see the old like late 70s early 80 guy hiking it? I ran into him a few times up there. Was super nice. I would always BS with him. Hiking 5K feet at that age is crazy.....

Last edited:

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
Nah I'm in Brisbane, like 1700km away and couldn't get there. Went down to the Stromlo events but Cairns was iconic. Palmer vs Nico... dammit.
Bugger. I grew up in Townsville, so we definitely looked up to those guys and their trails.

That race was crazy, and at the time I had no idea how momentous that race was, nor how massive Palmer would get.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I've got a set of carbon Dorados and my 32mm Boxxer from 2009-2013. I'd love a set of Shivers and a Monster T. I always keep an eye out for them in the classifieds but it would appear I'm not alone in my old man dreaming cos they go quickly.

I'd love a set of the Z1s I first had with the dual disc mounts and bolt on arch and crown.
I'd kill for a Z1 with the bolt on arch and disc mounts. My Transition Trans-Am is screaming for it.

Some day maybe one will float across my periphery.

Kurt_80

Monkey
Jan 25, 2016
Perth, WA.
I was 16 and lived with members of the MTB club in Cairns that summer (The Mud Cows). We rode the DH course while they were putting finishing touches on it and did a race on the XC course. That's when I knew I needed to parlay my XC success into getting a DH bike. I've been planning to go back since but haven't made it. It was a big year for MTB tech with V-brakes, Bombers, and the long travel GT "boomerang" frame all introduced while I was there.
Crazy!

My brother and I rode there a bunch of times before and after '96 worlds. Cool track, cool scene... I idolised those guys bitd.

How did you hook up with those guys? Are you from Australia originally?

vivisectxi

Monkey
Jan 14, 2021
yeast van
Last edited:

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Crazy!

My brother and I rode there a bunch of times before and after '96 worlds. Cool track, cool scene... I idolised those guys bitd.

How did you hook up with those guys? Are you from Australia originally?
I was in Cairns for a month with 5 other US junior riders, set up though a sport exchange program. We were hosted by the local club and stayed at members' houses. Cairns was a cool place anyway and being the summer leading up to Worlds made it really fun riding those tracks.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
i wasn't a racer back then. you had to go hucking in cargo shorts. it was the law.
Years ago I had one freakishly good totally un-toodles day and managed to qualify 4th at a interstate DH race. Dunno how, but my mates still laugh about the race highlights video which shows three or four riders come through a section in factory kit, then some wanker in denim cargo shorts and a t-shirt on a Turner, then 3 more factory riders in proper kit.

Last edited:

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Years ago I had one freakishly good totally un-toodles day and managed to qualify 4th at a National round. Dunno how, but my mates still laugh about the race highlights video which shows three or four riders come through a section in factory kit, then some wanker in denim cargo shorts and a t-shirt on a Turner, then 3 more factory riders in proper kit.
early denim destroyer is the best denim destroyer?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Years ago I had one freakishly good totally un-toodles day and managed to qualify 4th at a interstate DH race. Dunno how, but my mates still laugh about the race highlights video which shows three or four riders come through a section in factory kit, then some wanker in denim cargo shorts and a t-shirt on a Turner, then 3 more factory riders in proper kit.
my doppelganger!

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just curious, how do you guys avoid getting hung up on your saddles with cargo shorts? My short foray into trying to belong to the cool kids back in the day ended in some crashes because of that. Often conveniently placed in steep sections. I then decided being nerdy and wearing gear designed for biking was less painful.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Just curious, how do you guys avoid getting hung up on your saddles with cargo shorts? My short foray into trying to belong to the cool kids back in the day ended in some crashes because of that. Often conveniently placed in steep sections. I then decided being nerdy and wearing gear designed for biking was less painful.
Azonic Loveseat is too big to get caught up in ANYTHING

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I miss the bolted together forks, my Z5 had legs made in two different years.
Selling a Z5 and buying a Judy XL is probably still the worst downgrade I have ever done, 4" of vertical and 2" horizontal travel, woeful!

I think that has been shared previously but Allen's channel is awesome, man with a shed builds rad shit and drinks tea.

Last edited:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Danny Hart rode a Balfa for a few years as a (rapid) teenager.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Just found this on youtoob (not mine), seemed appropriate. First time I tore a rotator cuff was getting too enthusiastic hitting the step down at 2:45, second time was from loosing traction after landing the drop at 1:24 and burying my shoulder into the side of the trail.