Quantcast

What Should Have Been & The Glory Days Of Downhill Thread.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Just found this on youtoob (not mine), seemed appropriate. First time I tore a rotator cuff was getting too enthusiastic hitting the step down at 2:45, second time was from loosing traction after landing the drop at 1:24 and burying my shoulder into the side of the trail.

Wow, I know it changes a lot year to year but over longer time scale it's even more. Like, there used to be actual dirt interbedded in the rock on Mile. And the drop on the top of Boy Scout is about 2' taller now.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Wow, I know it changes a lot year to year but over longer time scale it's even more. Like, there used to be actual dirt interbedded in the rock on Mile. And the drop on the top of Boy Scout is about 2' taller now.
Only rode there a few times. I remember hearing about Charlie that owned that nice bike shop in SF using the bowl jump to launch out and clear the 20+ foot tabletop after it. that was like 60 feet maybe 70. I was like F That. I'll do them separately.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Only rode there a few times. I remember hearing about Charlie that owned that nice bike shop in SF using the bowl jump to launch out and clear the 20+ foot tabletop after it. that was like 60 feet maybe 70. I was like F That. I'll do them separately.
Charlie owned Vision Cyclery back then, now he owns Elevation in SF. Never heard that bowl jump story. Back in the early 2000s he built another trail up there called 911 that's all grown over now. It was pretty sketchy and dropped you at the bottom of Crack.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I have a White Brothers DH3 with a mangled axle.
Could you please get me the dimensions of it? Especially how long, where the step is, diameter of the larger part, thread (I could check this on the fork as well) and how long the threaded part is. If possible, I would also want to know the diameter of the bore hole and the size of the key interface.
I could make one on the lathe, but the bike came with a totally different axle so I am just guessing here.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 5.15.26 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 6.19.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-04-09 at 5.00.21 AM.png

I think these are in order of ownership. I had a Black IH Sunday before the M1. Also a Titus Supermoto DH a much nicer, stronger and better put together M1 just after the Turner.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
those mr dirt guides were hilarious, worked well if setup properly but that was a chore. I remember when I got mine I was installing in the shop and everyone was making fun of it. Then I opened the instructions and I think it started off by stating 'this is not a perfect world' or something to that affect.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Its the buy all the stuff you couldn't afford as a teen even though you know its absolutely shite.
You know what, I bought a used Tracer FSR a couple of years ago. With Uzzi SL link and a more modern SID this is still a pretty damn good and fun trail bike. Old bikes usually move down (up?) a category when compared to new models: with steeper HA and lighter weight the once enduro bike is now a trail bike. And still lighter than current offerings. ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The race thing was always more like a fashion show than riding bikes.
preach it brother
arrogant racer bois who thought they were the shit while actually being worse bike riders than the people they were dunking on turned me away from racing more than the stress of the racing....

I so miss a matchy match dressed trumpore brother explaining disposable flexy boxxers as acceptable because YOU JUST DON'T KNOW RACERFURK!!!! :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
preach it brother
arrogant racer bois who thought they were the shit while actually being worse bike riders than the people they were dunking on turned me away from racing more than the stress of the racing....

I so miss a matchy match dressed trumpore brother explaining disposable flexy boxxers as acceptable because YOU JUST DON'T KNOW RACERFURK!!!! :rofl:
somewhere i still have the picture of fraser going over the bars at platty.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
those mr dirt guides were hilarious, worked well if setup properly but that was a chore. I remember when I got mine I was installing in the shop and everyone was making fun of it. Then I opened the instructions and I think it started off by stating 'this is not a perfect world' or something to that affect.
Crap when they got a tiny bit of mud in them.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Could you please get me the dimensions of it? Especially how long, where the step is, diameter of the larger part, thread (I could check this on the fork as well) and how long the threaded part is. If possible, I would also want to know the diameter of the bore hole and the size of the key interface.
I could make one on the lathe, but the bike came with a totally different axle so I am just guessing here.
I’ll measure it and get back to you.
128DC1D9-13BA-4DB7-9064-CEDD7A07F7D5.jpeg
E5D37673-03FD-410B-BA65-620BA602AD7F.jpeg
94C819F7-0759-4499-88EA-0C8AD8DD0AEA.jpeg

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I'd kill for a Z1 with the bolt on arch and disc mounts. My Transition Trans-Am is screaming for it.

Some day maybe one will float across my periphery.
Wow,this is crazy. Adventurous,I have this 98 Z1 20mm you speak of. Also the 98 DC Z1 20mm. I had the 98 Z1 QR but sold it. I ride a DerKerf Hardtail and would go back and forth with them.That is until Zokie came out with 25th Anniversary Z1. 5 inch instead of 4,also a lockout for climbing.
Avy

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Wow,this is crazy. Adventurous,I have this 98 Z1 20mm you speak of. Also the 98 DC Z1 20mm. I had the 98 Z1 QR but sold it. I ride a DerKerf Hardtail and would go back and forth with them.That is until Zokie came out with 25th Anniversary Z1. 5 inch instead of 4,also a lockout for climbing.
Avy
I have a Z1 20mm QR on a Santa Cruz Heckler. The one with the sharp open ended dropouts. It’s deep in a pile so I’ll get a pic later but I found this old Boxxer with Blackbox dm stem and Marzocchi XC600 when looking.

2954BDE6-92F7-46EF-BBC1-0C67771A2237.jpeg
F9E80707-A261-4A39-9976-DE1C5E411467.jpeg
40F19BA2-6477-4AB7-8D94-6DF1EC215112.jpeg

Nah they made two colors of the dh3

I had a dh2 and it was ugly and gold
Oh yeah, now I remember.