Quantcast

What Should Have Been & The Glory Days Of Downhill Thread.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
When I heard the name was gonna be "303" I got all excited thinking that was the travel in mm. Kinda made sense since that's almost exactly 12". Considering I live in Colorado it shouldn't have taken a couple weeks to remember that's the area code for Denver/Golden/Boulder where Yeti is.
The trend at that time was way more rear travel than front. Bikes had 7" briefly, then went to 8, then 9, then a few at 10 and 11", so it didn't seem so far-fetched at the time. They kind of backed off and came back to 8" or so, but there were a bunch that were well in excess of that during that time, so it seemed plausible.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
The trend at that time was way more rear travel than front. Bikes had 7" briefly, then went to 8, then 9, then a few at 10 and 11", so it didn't seem so far-fetched at the time. They kind of backed off and came back to 8" or so, but there were a bunch that were well in excess of that during that time, so it seemed plausible.
I was riding a 10" travel V10 at the time and Keystone still felt rough so I figured 12" was the solution. I was devastated to learn they named it after their area code.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
but it had an S shaped axle path :confused:

:rofl:
Umm,we need to get to the bottom of this matter. Do I need to go to the shitter and check every Bike Mag on the shelf until I find the article on the Yeti Rail? I remember seeing it. That frame was over 2g’s.
Avy

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes, that's what bike industry nerds pupate into after a decade.
The reference is Santa Cruz made a "Solo" but after one year had to change the name to "5010" cuz Fuji or someone already had a Solo.
Yea I knew it was the 5olo. Couldn't remember the other company.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
blame spomer for not keeping littermag up

I do every day

no pic but it's referenced in here

The first prototypes used round tracks, but the latest renditions?the ones that the Yeti Team will be racing this year?use a narrow stainless steel track with multiple Vee-grooves that eliminate lateral flex more effectively, and are more compact.

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
blame spomer for not keeping littermag up

I do every day

no pic but it's referenced in here

The first prototypes used round tracks, but the latest renditions?the ones that the Yeti Team will be racing this year?use a narrow stainless steel track with multiple Vee-grooves that eliminate lateral flex more effectively, and are more compact.
So you said 2005,when my boy was too young. The one thing I did not dig into was WC DH Pit shots,mabye we could find one? However that is not easy to find. Where to look Brother? You would think going to the Yeti site they would have a picture as well as One Frame Of model’s over the year’s. Asking too much?
Avy

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Looks so short now, but still looks sick. Looked best in house colours before they changed it to white and teal
I was practising at a local DH race and Jared overtook me through the rock garden on one of those things like I was a pedestrian. I seem to recall the rail actually being gnarly - a combination of sharp and hot at the end of a run.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
I was practising at a local DH race and Jared overtook me through the rock garden on one of those things like I was a pedestrian. I seem to recall the rail actually being gnarly - a combination of sharp and hot at the end of a run.
A friend at the time had one the exact same, it was sick but pretty heavy and I think he moaned that it wasn’t the greatest in mud as it needed a lot of maintenance

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
One of the guys on my team had one, replaced all 72 bolts on it with ti bolt kit only to offset all weight loss with clear vinyl wrap. IMHO, bike was a piece of shit.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
One of the guys on my team had one, replaced all 72 bolts on it with ti bolt kit only to offset all weight loss with clear vinyl wrap. IMHO, bike was a piece of shit.
That is funny and expensive. The Wrap is that heavy? Tell me how you really feel.
Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, some companies you look back at their bikes and think they were pretty good designs. Maybe not modern geometry or the latest and greatest, but they worked pretty well.

Others, it just seems like the company is intellectually bankrupt.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I had Jared start 30sec behind me at a MTN States Cup DH race at Crested Butte. I was so worried about him catching me that it messed with my concentration but it made me really ride at my limit. I was so relieved to see the finish line! He won, but by less than 30 seconds.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
175096_10150382178040076_1490137_o.jpg

This is one of Marla Streb's old bikes. A local kid bought it from her. AT least it got ridden hard in retirement he is now a Smoke Jumper in Northern California.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
This is one of Marla Streb's old bikes. A local kid bought it from her. AT least it got ridden hard in retirement he is now a Smoke Jumper in Northern California.
She's probably the most awesome person I've met in mountain biking. She treated us shop rats super well...she'd take us out on her sailboat, spend hours on her backyard track etc. Really kind, a great rider, and had good stories to boot.

Last edited:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
View attachment 160852

Nice shot,that look’s like a Avy rear shock. Why is it that I no longer see MRP anymore? He is making a good living these day’s,may he stay Safe.
Avy

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Nice shot,that look’s like a Avy rear shock. Why is it that I no longer see MRP anymore? He is making a good living these day’s,may he stay Safe.
Avy
No, it was a remote FOX RC4 variant if I recall. There wasn't enough clearance on the frame to use the standard shock I think....

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
No, it was a remote FOX RC4 variant if I recall. There wasn't enough clearance on the frame to use the standard shock I think....
Didn't it come with a 5th Element standard? So it should fit a remote shock. But the Fox high performance shock at the time had the remote reservoir. I think the Maxxis Team ran it on the M1 as well. You might think of the Turner DHR, which needed the remote reservoir shock because of fitting issues.