Quantcast

What Should Have Been & The Glory Days Of Downhill Thread.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Nice shot,that look’s like a Avy rear shock. Why is it that I no longer see MRP anymore? He is making a good living these day’s,may he stay Safe.
Avy
It'll be the same one that fox that came on the Kona Stab primo in 03 . Was called a Vanilla DH

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
i checked the MRP athlete page.... its woefully out of date. they still have the Athertons listed on Trek Factory Racing :rofl:
So who is the New MRP? Or are they running many Brands? I need to check that out. Like how RockShock lost to Fox on Fork’s. Fox is all I see.
Avy

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Man it's been a few since seeing one of the old school mrp....E-type at that lol...did you keep the old square BB too...lol

My bag of stuff and box got stolen a few years ago with everything I always carry over and stuff from 18 years ago.....however I was digging in my tools and found a square RF bb not long ago...lol threw it out...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
For sure, MRP makes the best guide for all the single ring NW bikes that "don't need chain guides" these days.
View attachment 161003

I threw 3-4 of these out recently when moving.....drug them around for way too many years.
View attachment 161004

See it's a bash guard.....that completely folds sideways when it gets bashed. So that you either can't pedal, or it misaligns with the rollers and throws your chain off. It's brilliant!

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
See it's a bash guard.....that completely folds sideways when it gets bashed. So that you either can't pedal, or it misaligns with the rollers and throws your chain off. It's brilliant!
Not nearly as bad as the mr dirt that i had on my specialized sworks fsr and bighit that constantly jammed my chain on race runs.. thing was a disaster.

I remember Mt Snow/ Snowshoe 2002/3? sitting in a hotel parking lot with Weagle and crew trying to install the first evil chainguide onto my yeti DH9.... absolute shit show

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
One of the best things I miss about the DH scene was waiting in lift lines and hearing the BS that would spout from racers mouths. This isn't an MX track where everyone can see you hit that 120' triple. 90% of it is in the trees hidden. In late 2002 at a Big Bear race, a 14-year-old kid was in the line. We were talking about Sanjay who I had met at the Parkfield Classic race in 2001. Rumour had it he was doubling up 2 tabletops on the Westridge line that would make it into a 80+ foot jump. ON AN EVIL IMPERIAL......

Fabien Barel I think followed him down and tried it once and only once on his DH IDrive bike. This little kid chimes in with his Orange 223 literally an exact duplicate of the Global Teams bikes. "Yeah, I hit that". Followed the little kid down and jumped past him on the DHR as he barely cleared the 25-foot table. Granted I landed on flat bounced a bit and hit the second table a bit squirrely but hey the jumps were too small and close together....

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
The problem now is that kids these days are the ones doing the stupid stuff. I hate them all.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
They don't have fear yet....we have a few around here that fly off shit cause they saw it in a video lol...that was my reason plus we just hucked everything. But they start off where we left off....

I hate getting old. But I can still throw a stick pretty good so little bastards better watch that front tire....

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Technology has come a long way!
I hardly use flashes when taking action pics these days thanks to higher usable ISO numbers. :D
watching that after having watched this
and seeing all those guys blow their feet off the pedals at the top of that section, makes me think this
has some merit for flat pedal riders, and DH racing (I guess Troy and Reece were on these in their race runs).

technology has indeed come a long way.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
watching that after having watched this
and seeing all those guys blow their feet off the pedals at the top of that section, makes me think this
has some merit for flat pedal riders, and DH racing (I guess Troy and Reece were on these in their race runs).

technology has indeed come a long way.
As I commented on NSMB's piece, for $450 you can have a whole crankset, with better integration:

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
O
Dry yatdsale
They tossed hay bales on it for the better part of a dozen years after the national races quit happening and now that section of woods has almost as much dirt again as 1998.
U mean to tell me that a heavily rutted rock garden was able to repair itself with by tossing hay bales over it? No way would the ground be able to repair itself. Has anybody possibly pointed this out to the person at IMBA making trails lame all in the name of erosion? Blasphemy I say.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
O

Dry yatdsale

U mean to tell me that a heavily rutted rock garden was able to repair itself with by tossing hay bales over it? No way would the ground be able to repair itself. Has anybody possibly pointed this out to the person at IMBA making trails lame all in the name of erosion? Blasphemy I say.
Last time i was there in 2019 i followed a kid on a 24” Kona straight down the old race line.
It was a hell of a lot of hay, for a really, really,
really long time.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Technology has come a long way!
I hardly use flashes when taking action pics these days thanks to higher usable ISO numbers. :D
I use flashes for a living. You wanna see some flash magic check this out. It May not be WORK SAFE depending probably a $200K shoot. I like the subtle strobe fill but will shoot action with them occasionally.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
i should really get back to mt snow. are they still running the bike park?
Theoretically the bikepark is open again(for it’s 33rd season!), with the same basic park trails they’ve had for a decade.
Since it’s half an hour from Thunder, Jiminy, Stratton, Okemo, you’d think they would be struggling- but that long beginner sidewalk trail has still been making rental customers happy.

Locals have been hard at work clearing glades all over the place for “sidecountry” ski access, so it might be fun to go eebing up there.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I use flashes for a living. You wanna see some flash magic check this out. It May not be WORK SAFE depending probably a $200K shoot. I like the subtle strobe fill but will shoot action with them occasionally.

Nice! With my old camera there was no chance in hell I could get an action shot in the forest w/o flash.
Now this has changed so much. :thumb::weee:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
So who is the New MRP? Or are they running many Brands? I need to check that out. Like how RockShock lost to Fox on Fork’s. Fox is all I see.
Avy
I came back to this thread. The mrp took a hold and was nice. However,the RockShock Fork mention was somehow not spoken of? I Know you people have experience with these Forks. I have Zero,Zokie was my choice. Should we speak of them these day’s?

Avy

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
Dear god I can't imagine a spiral in a metacarpal. That would have fucking sucked. :bad:
It hurt like a mother fucker for about a week and took forever to heal. I was in a cast for twice as long as they originally thought. I did luck out by not needing surgery.