Quantcast

What should I do in this situation...

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
HISTORY OF SITUATION: I have a car... it is under warrantee. It developed a steering wheel vibration. I took it in, they balanced it, did not help. I balanced it again, no results. I put new tires... problem goes away for 1 month and comes back. I take car back to tire dealer for balance, no help. They notice that tires have irregular wear. They warrantee tires and align & balance wheels, problem persists. I take car to dealer, they keep it for 1.5 weeks and do multiple road force balances, they replace wheels and tires (problem persists) they research and try to fix problem for 1.5 more weeks.

They are telling me that they cant figure out what is causing this problem and they have a guy from the manufacturer coming in to make reccomendations (which will probably solve jack shizz).

What does the :monkey: collective, think I should do? What kind of results should I expect to get from the dealer (i.e. should I be looking to get another car out of them)?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
golgiaparatus said:
HISTORY OF SITUATION: I have a car... it is under warrantee. It developed a steering wheel vibration. I took it in, they balanced it, did not help. I balanced it again, no results. I put new tires... problem goes away for 1 month and comes back. I take car back to tire dealer for balance, no help. They notice that tires have irregular wear. They warrantee tires and align & balance wheels, problem persists. I take car to dealer, they keep it for 1.5 weeks and do multiple road force balances, they replace wheels and tires (problem persists) they research and try to fix problem for 1.5 more weeks.

They are telling me that they cant figure out what is causing this problem and they have a guy from the manufacturer coming in to make reccomendations (which will probably solve jack shizz).

What does the :monkey: collective, think I should do? What kind of results should I expect to get from the dealer (i.e. should I be looking to get another car out of them)?

Let them look at it, if they still can't fix it see if you have any "lemon law" recourse.

Cooter Brown

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2002
Snow Hall, tweakin on math
lemon law man, tell them you will settle for nothing less than a brand new vehicle (same make/model) just the next package above what you purchased for your time and the pain in the ass it has been

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
most states' lemon laws say 3 times for the same issue within 18 mos or so of original purchase, especially a saftey issue such as steering. my buddy has his POS Avenger lemoned a few years ago for some bad brakes. the took the car back for what he bought it for after a bit of hastle with a arbitrator, but it did work out in the end. he took it to the dude, the dude said, yep this is a POS, D-C gave him his money back, he took the $$ and bought a new (in 2002) mustang

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
What kind of car is it? I am not going to try to diagnose your problem, but I am familiar with a number of manufacturer's buyback programs. Which are basically them preempting Lemon Law cases.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
golgiaparatus said:

What kinda car is it? Are they providing you with a loaner?

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Lets see if I can answer everyones questions...

- I bought the car new in early 04 so I've had it over a year (does Lemon law still apply, I'm not that familiar with Lemon law). I should be able to do something, the car has a bumper to bumper warrantee.

- No they are not providing me with a loaner, though I do have a spare POS car that I am driving.

- It is a Hyundai Elantra GT.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
golgiaparatus said:

- I bought the car new in early 04 so I've had it over a year (does Lemon law still apply, I'm not that familiar with Lemon law). I should be able to do something, the car has a bumper to bumper warrantee.

- No they are not providing me with a loaner, though I do have a spare POS car that I am driving.

Ok I have no specific experience with Hyundai sorry. However most manufacturers have programs to pre-empt Lemon Law proceedings. Ford's is called "ReAquired Vehicle." I would imagine Hyundai has something similar. The best thing to do is try to get the dealer on your side. Contrary to what some people might say, the dealer DOES NOT lose out by getting you a new car. (At least in Ford's case). Actually we get paid a small fee, it was $250 the last time I handled the paper work. For dealing with the customer, storing the car, title work bla bla bla. Just be upfront with the service and general manager of the dealership. Bring up to them, that you have been more then patient, have not been a PITA about a loaner car etc etc, but enough is enough and you want either your money back, or a new vehicle. More then likely, so long as you give them some room to work with you will end up with a new car.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
golgiaparatus said:

Lemon laws are state specific, you'll have to check around. You should be able to find it on the web, or find some consumer advocate group to help you.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Ok I have no specific experience with Hyundai sorry. However most manufacturers have programs to pre-empt Lemon Law proceedings. Ford's is called "ReAquired Vehicle." I would imagine Hyundai has something similar. The best thing to do is try to get the dealer on your side. Contrary to what some people might say, the dealer DOES NOT lose out by getting you a new car. (At least in Ford's case). Actually we get paid a small fee, it was $250 the last time I handled the paper work. For dealing with the customer, storing the car, title work bla bla bla. Just be upfront with the service and general manager of the dealership. Bring up to them, that you have been more then patient, have not been a PITA about a loaner car etc etc, but enough is enough and you want either your money back, or a new vehicle. More then likely, so long as you give them some room to work with you will end up with a new car.
This is kind of what I was hoping to hear from them, but I havent heard crap. They just keep telling me that they cant find anything wrong with the car. I would be fine if they swapped me out a car that was the same model but they havent offered that up as an option even though I have asked them what they would do if they simply could not fix the car.

Today they told me tha they actually have a some big shot dude coming out that will want to know why the car has been in the shop for so long. Anyway they said that maybe he could help them figure out what was wrong. I guess I'll gfo over there and talk to someone about getting some satisfaction :(

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
golgiaparatus said:
Today they told me tha they actually have a some big shot dude coming out that will want to know why the car has been in the shop for so long. Anyway they said that maybe he could help them figure out what was wrong. I guess I'll gfo over there and talk to someone about getting some satisfaction :(
That is sounds like standard proceedure. It is probably a regional service manager that works for the Manufacturer, not the dealership. He would be the one that would sign off on any kind of "Lemon Law" action anyway. Get his name, ask for an appointment to speak with him after he reviews the case and test drives the vehicle. The good news is, they keep putting your car into service, so its not like they are not noticing the problem. IE... we get a lot of customers that "claim" there is a problem, and we just cant even duplicate the symptoms, much less diagnose a problem.

Just keep being cordial with them. In the meantime, as someone else suggested go to your State's department of motor vehicle website and see if you can read up on Lemon Law actions, just so you have the knowledge.

IE in your conversation, you can be like.. Well Mr Svc manager, this is the x time it has been in for this same symptom, doesnt that qualify for Lemon Law or something. I really like the car and just want to be treated fairly, but this is kind of rediculous, I havent driven the car for x - days for this particular problem.

Good luck

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Just spoke to a big wig dealer rep. Guy said he's going to speak with some other big wig at the dealer to see what can be done. I was very nice yet dissapointed sounding when I said, "we really need to get this problem resolved. I believe I've been more than patient, and maybe its time that we start talking about other options (i.e. like another car)".

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
golgiaparatus said:
Just spoke to a big wig dealer rep. Guy said he's going to speak with some other big wig at the dealer to see what can be done. I was very nice yet dissapointed sounding when I said, "we really need to get this problem resolved. I believe I've been more than patient, and maybe its time that we start talking about other options (i.e. like another car)".
Don't give them the out with other options, You need to be very specific with exactly what you expect of them. Also print a copy of the lemon law off and make sure they know you have it and are familar with your rights. Also make sure you have the attorney generals phone number. Those things will help you avoid a bunch of intermediate bullcrap.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
A reasonable allowance for use shall be that amount directly attributable to use by the consumer prior to his first written report of the nonconformity to the manufacturer, agent or dealer and during any subsequent period when the vehicle is not out of service by reason of repair.
In most states this initial written report has been argued successfully to be the first repair order that is completed by the dealer not an actual complaint. So when you are sending your letters make sure that you reference that this is a summary of previous complaints as evidenced by the repeated service repairs, attaching copies of the repair orders.

You don't want to end up getting stuck with some use allowance...

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
DRB said:
In most states this initial written report has been argued successfully to be the first repair order that is completed by the dealer not an actual complaint.
I cant say for sure, since I do not have all the facts in front of me, but if the tire purchase that you did originally was premature (prior to say 30 or 40k miles) You maybe able to argue that purchase to offset any or part of the usuage allowance. You will probably be faced with a usage allowance since the problem was not right out of the box so to say.

DRB said:
You don't want to end up getting stuck with some use allowance...
Unfortunately as I stated above, be prepared for that to be a part of the settlement offer.(you did get to drive the car without issue for a while didnt you?)

That doesnt mean that you cannot bargain/negotiate, most manufacturers much rather they resolve the issue through their program (whatever it is called) vs getting an actual Lemon Law complaint filed.

More than likely (if they are smart) the dealership and the Manufacturing rep are going over all these #'s now, taking into account current incentive programs, on hand inventory and what not and will be offering you something that makes sense for everyone. For example if they can get you into a brand new same or similar car that has been sitting on their lot for a while for little or no money out of anyone's pocket, it is a win win situation for everyone (except the manufacturer).

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
amateur said:
This guy is on to something. Also, check the ball joints.
Everything has been checked and is working as if it were brand new (that includes obvious crap like bearings and ball joints). They are looking at replacing the transmission or possibly driveshaft, thinking that this may be the problem. Only time will tell. In the meantime the dealer manager knows where I stand and is supposedly looking into other options.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
You need to figure out your rights before you agree to anything. Find the lemon law that applies and you will be armed with the proper ammo. But then continue to be reasonable. Don't get all uppity about consumer's rights and stuff, in my experience that just will not help.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
golgiaparatus said:

file a lemon law suit. my car had issues for about a year, as soon as i filed a lemon law suit, issues fixed.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Cooter Brown said:
lemon law man, tell them you will settle for nothing less than a brand new vehicle (same make/model) just the next package above what you purchased for your time and the pain in the ass it has been

that won't happen. they will only give you one comprable to the one you have.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
when you sit behind the wheel do you feel a jerk in in the car???

Sorry couldnt resist ;)

leemaon law.. if they cant fix it after 3 times trying and they recognize it as a problem then it shouldnt be a problem.. be persistant... if they sgive it back to you... bring it right back to them and complain about the same thing... ask to speak to the regional manager if you feel your not getting anywhere with the local one.. good luck