What should i take? 888RC VS 66RC2X

Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
Hi,
I want to know what front suspension should I pick:

1.888RC 2005
2. 66RC2X 2006

I'm riding FR and DH, not very agressivley, here we do not have a real DH, and FR means to me drops MAX 5 meters, and that is in the long time.
I want to know the good things and the bad things on each of the forks :)
the suspension will be probebly on a Giant Faith 3.

Thanks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
If you want a dual crown fork, I would get the 888. If you want a single crown, I think the 66 is a better choice.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I mean, the 66 has the shiniest newest damper system and they fixed the height issue for 2006. Unless you want the 200mm travel option, the 66 seems like the better choice, and it will be more versatile (sounds like you ride trails as much as real dh). Go for the 66.

wood-dog

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
the mid-west armpit!
Adam Novatt said:
go with the 66 if you ride light any like to pedal around.
I agree with Adam, but if you are really planning on dropping upwards of 15 feet(5 meters) Do your self the favor and invest into the 888 just to have the DC durability and possible another inch of travel. I don't care what people say but if you are dropping over 10 feet on a regular basis, which according to your tread it sounds like you are planning on doing, then forget a single crown! The steer tube is what.... aluminum, so there is going to be a fatigue factor that you are going to have to consider. I would take a 66 for urban rides and light freeriding, but drops over 10 feet (2 meters) regularly, DC!

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
i downhill and freeride reasonably aggresively and have 66rc2x and have ridden plenty of DC. and it defently gets the job done. soo i wouldnt count it out simply becuase its a single crown.

Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
wood-dog said:
I agree with Adam, but if you are really planning on dropping upwards of 15 feet(5 meters) Do your self the favor and invest into the 888 just to have the DC durability and possible another inch of travel. I don't care what people say but if you are dropping over 10 feet on a regular basis, which according to your tread it sounds like you are planning on doing, then forget a single crown! The steer tube is what.... aluminum, so there is going to be a fatigue factor that you are going to have to consider. I would take a 66 for urban rides and light freeriding, but drops over 10 feet (2 meters) regularly, DC!
Ok, I'm droping a 2 meters on my hard tail with a stance, I will go beyond it. My confidence go bigger when I trust my bike, this fork will be on the new bike. Here, the DH trails is somehing like... Agressive enduro. But, FR we have here alot.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Pommi said:
Ok, I'm droping a 2 meters on my hard tail with a stance, I will go beyond it. My confidence go bigger when I trust my bike, this fork will be on the new bike. Here, the DH trails is somehing like... Agressive enduro. But, FR we have here alot.
Depends on how big you are....I'm 6'7" and 275 and I ride a 6" 66RC on my FR bike (Cove G-Spot)...I do enduro on it and take 4-6 foot drops regularly...it handles those drops just fine...But they are well groomed transitions for the most part...I've had a few 3-4 foot to flats and the fork just sucked it up...

I wouldn't trust any Giant product to handle 10 foot drops with me on it (I've snapped 2 Giant frames, AC2 & AC1 doing less than 6 footers to tranny), regardless of fork...If you're 200lbs. or under & ride reasonably smoothly you should be fine with the 66RC2X.

Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
Secret Squirrel said:
Depends on how big you are....I'm 6'7" and 275 and I ride a 6" 66RC on my FR bike (Cove G-Spot)...I do enduro on it and take 4-6 foot drops regularly...it handles those drops just fine...But they are well groomed transitions for the most part...I've had a few 3-4 foot to flats and the fork just sucked it up...

I wouldn't trust any Giant product to handle 10 foot drops with me on it (I've snapped 2 Giant frames, AC2 & AC1 doing less than 6 footers to tranny), regardless of fork...If you're 200lbs. or under & ride reasonably smoothly you should be fine with the 66RC2X.
I'm about 70kg, I have the strength to control the bike. About the brake part, you broke an AC, right? The faith is a whole new level. There was a picture of some guy doing something like 6 meters in pinkbike with a faith. About the bike I'm pretty close on the faith, only the front suspension is my dillema. I think I will take the 888 even just for the confidence and the strength when I do mistakes, know what I mean? And talk with me in meters, lol :) . As I said, I think 5 meters is the highest drop I will do.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Pommi said:
I'm about 70kg, I have the strength to control the bike. About the brake part, you broke an AC, right? The faith is a whole new level. There was a picture of some guy doing something like 6 meters in pinkbike with a faith. About the bike I'm pretty close on the faith, only the front suspension is my dillema. I think I will take the 888 even just for the confidence and the strength when I do mistakes, know what I mean? And talk with me in meters, lol :) . As I said, I think 5 meters is the highest drop I will do.
Oh...70 kilos should be fine...Well, Giant is still Taiwanese thin-walled tubing...you can say hydro-formed tubing is all that for strength, but when it comes down to it, welds are welds, and they're inherently weak...At least when you're my size, they're weak!! LOL!! But I'm twice your size so it's all good for you! 5m = no problem

Anyway, I would recommend the 7" 888. That would be very complimentary to the geometry of the Faith.

Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
Secret Squirrel said:
Oh...70 kilos should be fine...Well, Giant is still Taiwanese thin-walled tubing...you can say hydro-formed tubing is all that for strength, but when it comes down to it, welds are welds, and they're inherently weak...At least when you're my size, they're weak!! LOL!! But I'm twice your size so it's all good for you! 5m = no problem

Anyway, I would recommend the 7" 888. That would be very complimentary to the geometry of the Faith.
I can't find the 7'', I'm ordering fron Jenson, and when I rode the Faith, couple of drops, I noticed that it will be better to lift up the front a little bit, I think the 888 will do it very well lol. And if anybody has another things to say- Please.

tlproject7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
i have a faith the 66 rc2x and i really suggest it, i had double crown on it before and didnt like it, the 66 really feels like a dual crown, ask any one who owns one. also i know several other people with the same set up who are bigger then me (im 160 pounds) and go bigger then me and rave about how well they work toghether

Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
How does it work in DH? and I need to ride the fork and feel it, but the 888 sits hard on my mind now. Thanks you all!

sampo

Chimp
Nov 21, 2005
My 06 66SL feels as stiff as the super T it replaced. OK the super T was not quite as stiff as 888's but it was still plenty stiff enough for all but the heaviest riders.

Unless you are heavy (70kg so ur not!) and planning on riding DH only, go with the 66. They can easily cope with DH and are much more versatile.

Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
The 66 is more versatile then the 888? Are you sure? As I asked, how does it work in DH?

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I guess I'm going to be the only one to chime in AGAINST the 66.

I broke mine (bent steerer) on the first ride. I know of 3 other 66s in my area (not counting the ones that I heard about here on RM) that did the exact same thing.

I don't care what Marzocchi tells you or what you see Robbie Burdron doing in NWD6, if you're doing anything more than 1-2 meters (3-6 feet) on for a drop, do not get the 66. Yeah, they lowered the AC, they did this and that - whatever. My 66 came with a sticker on it that says "Uses: cross country, all mountain, dirt jumps, freeride. NOT for extreme freeride or downhill racing". If you're planning on doing a 5 meter (15 feet) drop, do yourself a favor and get a fork that was designed to do something like that.

My vote:
No 66rc2x
Yes 888RC

And with the money you save getting the '05 888 vs the '06 66, you can just put that towards new RC2x cartrages for your 888 halfway through the season.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
the only reason i'd take a long travel single crown over a dual crown, is if i was putting it on bike setup purely for slopestyle so that i could do x-ups and barspins. otherwise, i'd just get the 888... extra strength isn't always bad

but the 66 might match the faith bike a little better, and you might like the adjustability of the RC2X, and the versality of the SC for hitting some trails. Plus, if you don't plan on dropping that big, then you wouldn't worry about the stregnth factor of the SC.

Pommi

Chimp
Jan 26, 2006
Ok, thank you all guys!! You are the best! I think I'll go with the 888. Pictures soon!!!

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Why take the chance with a single crown when a 888 weighs almost the exact same? There is always that chance you might come up short or just land wrong and break a single crown..... no thanks.