Quantcast

What Should I Upgrad First

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
I got a new Fisher Cake 2DLX and i would like to know what i should spend my money on to up grade parts, what part should i change first and what should i change it for. Here is a spec sheet it is totaly stock so far

Main frame-Platinum Series ZR9000 double butted aluminum | Genesis Geometry

Swingarm-6061 T6 aluminum swingarm | Carbon fiber seatstays | Disc Specific | Sealed cartridge bearings | 5" travel

Fork-Fox FLOAT R | Aluminum steerer | External Rebound Adjust | 130mm travel

Rear shock-Manitou Swinger 3-Way SPV

Headset-Aheadset | Semi-cartridge | Sealed

Bottom bracket TruVativ GXP External

Crank-Bontrager Race GXP 44/32/22

Pedals-Shimano M520 ATB clipless

Front derailleur-Shimano M-580 LX

Rear derailleur-Shimano M-751 XT

Shifters-Shimano M-570 LX

Cassette-SRAM PG970 | 11-34 | 9spd

Chain-Shimano HG53

Front wheel-Bontrager Race Disc wheelsystem

Rear wheel-Bontrager Race Disc wheelsystem

Front Tire-Bontrager ACX 26x2.2 Folding

Rear tire -Bontrager ACX 26x2.2 Folding

Front brake-Hayes HFX-9 XC hydraulic disc | 6" Rotor

Rear brake-Hayes HFX-9 XC hydraulic disc | 6" Rotor

Brake levers-Hayes hydraulic

Handlebar-Bontrager Select OS Riser

Stem-Bontrager Race Lite OS | 6d rise 90mm

Grips-Bontrager Lock-On

Saddle-Bontrager Select / Hollow Cromoly Rails

Seatpost-Bontrager Select

Thanks in advance for your input

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
well im thinking about getting a new crank probobly a Shimano XT x- type crank. thenchange the wheels maybe, btw i dont need to save to travel because me parentos pay for all that shiznit.then proboly upgrading to an XT front derailuer.
what do you guys think about this, and i dont want to hear the whole
"Shimano suck get SRAM stuff"
thanks

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
bicycleman said:
well im thinking about getting a new crank probobly a Shimano XT x- type crank. thenchange the wheels maybe, btw i dont need to save to travel because me parentos pay for all that shiznit.then proboly upgrading to an XT front derailuer.
what do you guys think about this, and i dont want to hear the whole
"Shimano suck get SRAM stuff"
thanks
There is no reason to upgrade, the crankset on there is fine. Don't try to set this up as a light FR bike. Carbon Fiber chainstays and stuff, means its for XC.

srphillips89

Monkey
Jan 29, 2006
Boone NC
If I were you I would get some beefier tires(2.3 or 2.35) unless your going to be doing a lot of racing. Tires can make one of the greatest differences in how you ride. Bigger tires equal more confidence but harder uphills. I wouldn't change the cranks unless your concerened with the whole weight thing. Like the everyone else said, I wouldn't upgrade until it brakes, except for the tires.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
^ I completely agree. Puting the widest tires possible w/o rubbing would help confidence descending and doing technical stuff. It will just make climbing less fun.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
i already changed out the tire to 2.3's im not i dumb arse, btw you dont need to explain every thing to me that in depth(for you n00b) I wasnt planning on setting it up as a FR bike. i was think ing about putting Crossmaxes and an XT crank i wouldnt exactly consider that to be FR componentry, N00bz0r
:hot:

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
upgrade the stuff that you body touches, such as saddle, pedals, grips, tires ect...

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
bicycleman said:
i already changed out the tire to 2.3's im not i dumb arse, btw you dont need to explain every thing to me that in depth(for you n00b) I wasnt planning on setting it up as a FR bike. i was think ing about putting Crossmaxes and an XT crank i wouldnt exactly consider that to be FR componentry, N00bz0r
:hot:
If you dont want to be treated like you dont know what your talking about why are you asking in the beginner forum? Also it would of been smarter to post in the xc fourm if you wanted to make your bike more xc orientated.

Oh and why are you going to upgrade anything when the bike is still working and nothing has broken yet?

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Changing the cranks is a total wast of money unless its for bling factor. I have owned and raced dozens of bikes in my time and I have only bought on complet bike that needed new cranks.
as stated in a previous post I would change the things you touch, if needed, I prefer wide bars and Oury grips so they go on all my bikes. Sometimes you need to change your stem to get a more comfortable length or rise. and most times stock saddles are average so you might investigate which saddles fit your butt better.
but if your into swapping things out to be different all I can say is The Bicycle industry loves you and your kind. If you (your Parents) can afford high end upgrades, by all means buy whatever you think looks cool, just try to buy your parts at a local Bike shop, after all the economy needs YOUR help!

Bobby Peru

Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Big Tuna, TX
bballboy388 said:
If you dont want to be treated like you dont know what your talking about why are you asking in the beginner forum? Also it would of been smarter to post in the xc fourm if you wanted to make your bike more xc orientated.

Oh and why are you going to upgrade anything when the bike is still working and nothing has broken yet?
I couldn't of said it better myself. However, I may have thrown in a few four letter words as well!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
bballboy388 said:

Bobby Peru said:
I couldn't of said it better myself. However, I may have thrown in a few four letter words as well!
This is the beginner forum, and there are going to be plenty of stupid questions which should be given a lot of slack.

Frankly, I think a lot of the questions in the other forums should be posted here, like "Should I get Bike X, Y, or Z?"

So if you can't post here without an attitude, then don't answer these questions.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
PS,

What I would upgrade is the headset and the cassette. Aheadset is a low-quality brand and the PC-970 is a little heavy at 380 grams.

BTW, manufacturers always try to cheap-out on the less obvious components, like headsets, BB's, and cassettes.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
ok so what headset would you go with, im thinking CK but it will take a few weeks to get the money. ALso would you go with the XTR cassette
or the PG990 the XTR is partly Ti. so that would help in the wieght saving department

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Chris King is the way to go, and it is worth saving the money. The problem with XTR is that is the ti cogs wear faster. I would go XT instead. I am not super familiar with the SRAM cassettes either but I assume the 990 wears the same as XTR.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
what will it require to put in a head set, i imagine i dont want to do it because i dont want to ruin something.How much do places ussually charge to put in a headset

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Your spec looks solid. Buy a few different tires and experiment with sizes and tread patterns if you want to spend money.

I live near you, too.

bicycleman

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
Carlsbad, CA
STALKER!!!!!!!!!
jk man maybe somewtime ya wanna go for a ride i got some local trails. We keep it on the down low so not to many people know about um.
pretty hardcore, a cuple different runs. Fire road to the top and all single track down. There are hard core trails with drops and big ass jumps. and there and some less hard core rocky almost DH trails. all in all just about a ten minute bike ride from me house. With no jumps but a couple real small drops. Cant tell ya where though unless you ewanna go for a ride and sign the "i will not tell anyone **** release form"

what kinda bike ya ride?

btw i roll on WTB WIERWOLFs 2.3 team FR
what do you think about these

also im planning
on getting some Nevengals 2.1 stik-e cause i heard they run wide

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Ya dude, I know that trail too. Do you take the acess road up the side or what? I am talking about the one with the rockpile at the top. I have been riding it for almost 5 years now.

The 'XC' trail is my fav because the turns are sweet and I think it is longer. I am too scared to hit up the drops/kickers on the 'DH' trail.

I ride this:

I have not been riding that trail too much anymore because I am away at school but ncrider really cleaned up the trail a year or so ago and built up some jumps.

I run 2.35" Nevegal rear and 2.6 kinetics STICK-E front and they perform very well on local trails. I have a 2.35" Blue Groove that I want to slap on the front sometime. You should be fine with 2.1's, I rode 2.1 tires on my old XC hardtail and I could handle the rocks.

I have not ridden Weirwolfs but have heard that they work well in dry but not when its wet.

I would chill out a little bit too, you are going to piss people off.

Anyways, check out the underwear thread in the SoCal forum. Seems like half the pics are from that trail.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
bicycleman said:
would there by any chance be a big giant blue"place word here" at the top
heheh, in socal, the only big giant blue place word heres at the tops of hills are watertowers :rolleyes:

or sometimes they're big brown place word heres