Quantcast

What should we do in Philly?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Dude, go to the Philly art museum!!!
The Reading Market is cool too.
Also it's touristy but it's fun to see the liberty bell and they've really improved independance square.

South Street is kind of a let down but it's not bad. Also get a cheese steak from Jim's Steaks on south street, way better than pats or geno's.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
stosh said:
Also it's touristy but it's fun to see the liberty bell and they've really improved independance square.

South Street is kind of a let down but it's not bad. Also get a cheese steak from Jim's Steaks on south street, way better than pats or geno's.
Depends on when you go. S.S. has gotten a bit sterile from days of yore...... ahh...the memories....

Still, the shops are cool and some of the restaurants are fun as well.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
sirknight6 said:
Depends on when you go. S.S. has gotten a bit sterile from days of yore...... ahh...the memories....

Still, the shops are cool and some of the restaurants are fun as well.
Via Bicycle is still there well it's on 8th st 1/2 block off south street but thats an awesome place!

I hear ya about SS the GAP and Jonny Rockets kind of makes it lame'o

To bad baseball season is over because the new PHillies stadium rocks!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Uhh...go where they make the cream cheese? Or better yet, the lite cream cheese.

Okay, who can guess which movie that line(s) is/are from? Co'mon, any takers?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
reflux said:
Uhh...go where they make the cream cheese? Or better yet, the lite cream cheese.

Okay, who can guess which movie that line(s) is/are from? Co'mon, any takers?
I think Sally Edwards said it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
reflux said:
Not quite, but a funny guess fo sho.

It's from that movie that makes fun of dog shows. I forget the name of it though, whatever...
Best in Show

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
stosh said:

I had a chease steak from a place on South Street. :think: I have a picture of me standing outside of it. It was all black and white tiled siding if I remember right. Any idea with on that was? I was told by my friends that it was "the" place to have a chease steak (my first) when visiting.

I am a touristy kind of guy so I enjoyed Independence Hall and the Liberty bell (in it's own little building.....with VERY sensitive metal detectors. :o: ) I was there in the dead of winter (January)......so I can't really give any good info on the town when it is thawd. :D Well that, and I have only been there once. ;) I guess there is a "little Italy" but I was told it was in a rough part of town. We went by car to the market street in the little Italy but everything was closed for the day/season....did I say it was freaking cold? Anyway Soem small shops and a closed deli is all I was able to see there, but it is supposed to be nice when it is open and hopping.

So I guess I really don't have any usefull info for you......

Rhino

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Seriously if you can do it go to The Reading Market, you won't be dissapointed.
Thats an interesting part of Philly that often gets over looked. If you go there go there to eat and eat and eat and eat!!!!

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
So, Philly was fun, if a little wet. Saw the bell and the hall and all that rot. also went to the zoo.

Didn't get to the Mutter Museum, but did see the Bodyworlds exhibit at the Franklin Institute. Plasticized bodies of actual people, dissected in certain ways to show various systems, etc. GF is convinced I should go to Med school now. If anyone sees it in your area, go check it out.

Ate at Jims, had plenty of Yuengling.

Found a great restaurant on 2nd street called Serrano. They had a special pumpkin gnocchi with butternut squash and pine nuts in an amaretto cream sauce that I'm dying to try and replicate, but I guess that's a topic for the food and beer forum. :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Barbaton said:
So, Philly was fun, if a little wet. Saw the bell and the hall and all that rot. also went to the zoo.

Didn't get to the Mutter Museum, but did see the Bodyworlds exhibit at the Franklin Institute. Plasticized bodies of actual people, dissected in certain ways to show various systems, etc. GF is convinced I should go to Med school now. If anyone sees it in your area, go check it out.

Found a great restaurant on 2nd street called Serrano. They had a special pumpkin gnocchi with butternut squash and pine nuts in an amaretto cream sauce that I'm dying to try and replicate, but I guess that's a topic for the food and beer forum. :)
So what did you think of Jim's?
Had you ever had Yuengling before?

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Barbaton said:

Sounds like you had fun!

I too have seen the Bodyworlds exhibit which was just amazing. What did you think of the guy on the horse? Wasn't that one just amazing? It's a great exhibit, makes you realize how beautiful the body really is. Glad to see I'm not the only one who enjoys that stuff. :thumb:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jdcamb said:
Those in the know go to Jim's!
Damn you're making me hungry!!!

I asked my cousin from Philly to be my best man in July for my wedding. Anyway the point I'm getting at is I'm having my bachelor party in Philly. That should be fun!!!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
stosh said:
Damn you're making me hungry!!!

I asked my cousin from Philly to be my best man in July for my wedding. Anyway the point I'm getting at is I'm having my bachelor party in Philly. That should be fun!!!

I think you could have one kick ass bachelor party in philly. You might have to cross the river to Jersey for the fleshy fun though....

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jdcamb said:
I think you could have one kick ass bachelor party in philly. You might have to cross the river to Jersey for the fleshy fun though....
I'm not really in to all that strip club stuff.

My cousin knows Philly like the back of his hand and he knows all of the best most unique spots.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
There is this german suspense/horror movie I've seen where the victims are plasticized. It was called Anatomie and stars Franka Potente (the girl from Run Lola Run & the The Bourne Identity).

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
I had had Yuengling's before, and I have to admit that while I like it, it's not my favorite.

Jim's had a long long line out the door and down the street but it was definitely worth it. A few of those and I think my heart will explode, though.

To answer the other question, at Bodyworlds, I did see the guy and the horse, which was cool, but it did bother me because the horse can't give informed consent. Same with the infants and children.

I also thought quite a lot of it was in pretty bad taste, particularly the infant circulatory system giving thumbs up symbols. I also didn't particularly care for the "art" pieces, where I thought the hats and cigarettes and props, and especially the little "artist" plaques with the doctor's name and the name of the "work" were pretty offensive. Something's just wrong with claiming aesthetic credit for someone else's body, whether or not you believe in a Creator...

Mostly I enjoyed the stuff that was presented in medical or diagnostic ways, especially the pathology examples with melanoma metastases in the lung or brain tissue, etc...

Edited for sense-making.