Quantcast

what should we have for dinner?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Yossarian said:
Steak au poivre with a bourbon dijon sauce, fresh green salad and baked tater.

:thumb:

that was lastnights dinner. basicly.

oh, and NO DAMM FISH. or turtle..... :mumble:

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
buy a cheap steak, got into slices, throw it into a pan with sliced onion & peppers, fry for 5 then toss in a can of tomatoe sauce, add some spices, simmer for 10 while you cook up some rice = YUMMY!

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
what is it about the seafood haters? bad experience as a child?

Sure is...my first recollection of being given fish is...I was about 4 or 5 and my mom was cooking dinner and my older brother came in and said, how's that FISH coming along...and he was laughing and my mom slapped his hand and was shhhhusshing him...so something went off in my mind that I should probably be wary of this dinner, so I didn't eat it...then my dad remarried and his new wife made tuna casserole...well I've always hated mayonnaise and that cooked up with tuna just made me sick to even think about it and he forced me to sit at the table till I finished it. NASTY!

So now, just the smell of someone cooking or eating fish makes me gag...and I will not even TRY any fish...In fact...I will not even eat ceasar salad cuz some of the dressings have anchovy paste...and I read the ingredients on Italian dressing cuz some of those (Newman's Own, Bernsteins) have anchovy paste in em. I refuse to eat Chinese food cuz most of it has oyster sauce in it...I know you can't taste any fish in it, but I know it's there...it truly sucks...I cannot get over my fear of eating fish.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
narlus said:
what is it about the seafood haters? bad experience as a child?

kinda. I grew up on the oregon coast with a dad who was a boat freak.

we would clam, fish, crab often. too often. for my family, it was a way to save money. so growing up I had WAY too much food that comes from the ocean. not always cooked the best way it could be, just served up.

we canned more cans of tuna then I care to remember. jars and jars and jars.

so now, I don't really like fish AND, 'fresh' means something different to me then it does to most people. fresh crab, that we pulled out of the water and cooked up on the beach is a far cry from ANYTHING you buy in the store even if the crabs are live.

I like fish and chips though. Tar Tar

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
best crab i ever had was up in Tofino (vancouver island); all the place sold was various preparations of dungeness crab. so damn tasty.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:
best crab i ever had was up in Tofino (vancouver island); all the place sold was various preparations of dungeness crab. so damn tasty.
When I was out on the Oregon coast we got dungeness right off the boat at a pier-side boilerama. They had a laundry sink in the middle of the restaurant for cleaning up. :thumb: Good times.........

-S.S.-

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
SkaredShtles said:
When I was out on the Oregon coast we got dungeness right off the boat at a pier-side boilerama. They had a laundry sink in the middle of the restaurant for cleaning up. :thumb: Good times.........

-S.S.-
i would much rather eat dungeness than lobster.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
ROCKLAND said:
I would of said Shrimp Fra Diablo, but you shot down seafood. How abouts a curry w/ some good peanut sauce. Yum.
cleaning shrimp sucks......:)

have a recipe for the curry suggestion?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Kielbasa (fresh), 2 potatos slices and "raw" fried (cooked crisp) with onions, peppers, and some dill, some red barrel kraut (deli sauerkraut). Par boil the Kielbasa then finish in a pan (Ring Bologna if you can't find fresh Kielbasa). Slice up the taters and cook 'em in bacon grease until the take the flavor of the onion, peppers, and dill. Warm up the kraut and add the left over bacon grease (what little will be left over from the taters). Pierogis would be a good substitute for the taters. Get some good mustard for the Kielbasa and sour cream for the potatos. Mmmmm thats some good eating.....jdcamb

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
jdcamb said:
Kielbasa (fresh), 2 potatos slices and "raw" fried (cooked crisp) with onions, peppers, and some dill, some red barrel kraut (deli sauerkraut). Par boil the Kielbasa then finish in a pan (Ring Bologna if you can't find fresh Kielbasa). Slice up the taters and cook 'em in bacon grease until the take the flavor of the onion, peppers, and dill. Warm up the kraut and add the left over bacon grease (what little will be left over from the taters). Pierogis would be a good substitute for the taters. Get some good mustard for the Kielbasa and sour cream for the potatos. Mmmmm thats some good eating.....jdcamb
This sounds suspiciously Polish......... :drool: :D

-S.S.-

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
pnj said:
cleaning shrimp sucks......:)

have a recipe for the curry suggestion?
Yeah, "Someone forgot to de-turd this one" ahaha. You can buy them where someone else has done most of the work.

As far a curry recipe, I got nothing. Sorry. I'm good at eating and being the dish b!tch. The cooking tallent is in the other half of the household.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Howz about pasta with sausage and chard?

Crumble a few links of italian sausage (hot if you like it) into a hot pan and brown all over; remove to a plate but don't clean the pan. Heat some olive oil in the same pan and add a bunch - as in a whole bunch - of swiss chard or other leafy greens that you've roughly chopped crosswise. Cook that down for a couple minutes 'til it wilts, then throw in as much chopped garlic as you can stand and cook for just a minute or two. Remove that too, but again don't clean out the pan. Add about 3/4 pound of cooked pasta (penne works well, probably don't want to use spaghetti or other long thing stuff) and a about half a cup of chicken stock, toss over high heat til the stock is reduced a little bit, turn off the heat and toss in the sausage and greens, with a little parmesan. Garnish with toasted pine nuts and more cheese.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
narlus said:
"italian food" really narrows it down.
How about this?

Pound a few Chicken breasts flat and toss in flour.

In a glass, mix together 2 TBS flour with water and get out all the lumps. add 1/2 C. Marsala and 1/2 cup water, some capers, and diced green olives. If you have any ham, dice up some of that too (sliced lunch kind or regular).

Heat up an aluminum or stainless pan on medium heat and add a little Extra Virgin. Cook the chicken till "safe". Push to the side and add the liquid glass and deglaze the pan (Scrape the bottom with a spatula).

Plate the chicken and pour the sauce over the top.

Side of Angle-hair side with garlic and butter, and a salad.

EAT!!

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
this is what i settled on:

salmon fillet, salt and peppered
heat some oil in a pan, med-high heat. put the salmon skinside down and cook for about 6-8 minutes.

in the meantime, in a small sauce pan, put in two tsp of dark sesame oil, one tsp of peanut oil, two tsp of soy sauce, some grated ginger, and some lemon juice. heat over med-low heat, and whisk.

when the salmon's getting cooked (check for opacity), transfer to the oven, about 4" under the broiler. cook for 2-3 more minutes.

i had it w/ some leftover great northern beans cooked w/ red pepper and onion.

delicious!

(although it doesn't pass the no seafood muster).

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
we were going to have falafels but I went to three stores, during rush hour, in the POURING rain and couldn't find a few things I needed so instead we cooked what we had in the house.

sausage, onions, garlic in a red sauce served over some funny looking pasta things. salad on the side. beer.