Quantcast

what size bike for a 5'4" woman?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I want to buy my girl a used mtb, nothing special, just something to get her rolling. And fit isn't critical, something comfortable.

I'd rather get her a cruiser/townie, something like...

but I'm thinking with the hills here and the fact that she has family in a couple of mountain towns, well, she'd need more than three gears, yeah?

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
LordOpie said:
I want to buy my girl a used mtb, nothing special, just something to get her rolling. And fit isn't critical, something comfortable.

but I'm thinking with the hills here and the fact that she has family in a couple of mountain towns, well, she'd need more than three gears, yeah?
Your probably going to be looking at a 14" frame, maybe slightly larger if it has a bent or angled top tube.

I was looking at a schwin rocket for my wife, it has an extremely low bent top tube. The small size should be pretty good. Titus makes the moto lite on a small and xtra small size, give them a call and they can tell you what size would work. Iif you want to build it up youe self, speedgoat appears to have them in stock they also have a x-small 2005 on clearance

Bobs bike (a big e-bayer under a different name) carries titus, and they have a sweet deal on Giant trance frames, they have the 14.5" in stock at 699, which is a good deal.

P.S. the electra bikes are really cool.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I agree with Reactor as I am a 5'4" girl and I tend to ride a 14"-15" frame...depends on the standover and top tube length. I don't have a cruiser so I can't really help you out there, but I do have a C-dale Jekyll (small, not women's specific), a K2 Disco Monkey (small, not women's specific), a 15" hardtail frame waiting to be built up, a small Trek 850 hardtail and a small IH DH bike (it's actually a 17" that's a bit too big so I had to go with a 24" rear wheel and have a custom stem built).

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks all!

I suppose it's dumb to buy a bike for her on ebay since I'm not certain what she needs, but yous given me a starting point :)

Giant Boulder or similar cruiser/mtb seems like a good idea. If I'm lucky, this will turn into her junker bike and we'll be spending a lot of money on her in the future :D

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
LordOpie said:
Thanks all!

I suppose it's dumb to buy a bike for her on ebay since I'm not certain what she needs, but yous given me a starting point :)

Giant Boulder or similar cruiser/mtb seems like a good idea. If I'm lucky, this will turn into her junker bike and we'll be spending a lot of money on her in the future :D
Do you mountain bike at all, or just ride on the road?

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I ride a 46 compact frame road bike

I'm so little! It's funny because I have to pedal and pedal and to put any considerable miles on the cycling log we're doing. I feel like an exhausted munchkin by the time I'm done on that thing!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
bluebug32 said:
I ride a 46 compact frame road bike

I'm so little! It's funny because I have to pedal and pedal and to put any considerable miles on the cycling log we're doing. I feel like an exhausted munchkin by the time I'm done on that thing!
You're 5'4"-5'5"?

46 seems very tiny for your height?

I assume with that size, you're on 650 wheels. Ceterus Paribus, 700 wheels are more efficient by 7-8%.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
MtnBikerChk said:
I think 14" is too small for 5'4." I'd go 15-16 (from a 5'2.5" woman).
Yes and no....it really depends on the frame geometry and length of arms/legs. I'm 5'4" and have 4 different sized bikes (14", 14.5", 15" and 17") all of which fit me fine (the 17" needed some modification and is still a little large).

LittleBetty

e-stalker
Oct 24, 2005
Mile High State
LordOpie said:

Why don't you get her a real mtb, that bike is cute and such but if you both are going to be hitting the hills then wouldn't it be wiser to get something that she could use for awhile and might really enjoy. That bike looks too much like a beach cruiser and not a mtb. :)