Quantcast

what size bullit should i get???

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
Hey, I'm getting a bullit pretty soon, I finaly have the money saved up, and i'll be ordering it within the next week or so, hopefully. I do have a question on sizing though. I am about 5'10"-5'11"(not exactly sure) and I'm right on the edge of the medium and the large. I fit perfectly on the medium demo 9, and that has a 23" top tube, but it had about a 70mm stem on it I think. So i'm thinking the large bullit with a 23.8" top tube will work out great for me with my 40mm stem. I'm planning on going up to whistler alot next year, and am going to be more freeride oriented rather than dh oriented(that's why i'm not shelling out the cash for a v-10 like i was originaly planning) Right now I'm riding a hardtail with a 22" top tube, and it feels a bit on the small side(great for tossing around though). Any ideas on what i should get? any info will help.

p.s. I am going to be throwing a 2002 super t on the front of it, and will eventually upgrade to either a 888 or a shiver. not sure if that will make a difference with what size to go with or not, but who knows. and if anyone in the ballard/seattle area has a bullit in either a medium or a large, I would love to hop on and see how it feels size wise.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
You want something that isn't too stretch, but you also don't want to bash your knees on the bars or stem. I would guess the medium is what you'd want...you're basically the same height as I am. I ride a Diamondback in a medium frame - their large is just a little too tall for me. Not sure how the Santa Cruz sizing works though.

Lucky for you, there is no shortage of folks riding Bullits in the Seattle-metro area.:)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
i'm 6'1" and am running a large. i looked on Santa Cruz's web site and they have you listed right smack dab in the middle of being ok for both M and L. So it's gonna be all about what's more comfortable. if you can ride both and compare that's gonna be the only real way you can get thru this boggle of yours. But luckily for you it sounds like either way you go you're gonna be alright.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
I am 6'2" and bought a large Bullit. I sold it because it felt too big. I now ride a medium Norco Six and love it. I think if you are in the middle, go with the smaller of the two. You can always add a little stem length.

smedford said:
I am 6'2" and bought a large Bullit. I sold it because it felt too big. I now ride a medium Norco Six and love it. I think if you are in the middle, go with the smaller of the two. You can always add a little stem length.
6ft 2" on a medium norco six? Wow, you must be longer in the torso than in the legs. My buddy rides a Large Norco six and it feels good for me at 5ft 8". To each their own I guess.

smedford

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
Bellingham, WA
The top tube length is very minor on the Six between the large and the medium. I like the low standover. I actually have pretty long legs, but can Jack the seat up high with the telescoping post if needed.

You are right though. Everyone has there own preferance. I like my bikes low standover. That is why I did not like the Bullit. Great bike otherwise.

holliswood

Monkey
Mar 16, 2004
University Place
iridebikes said:
Hey, I'm getting a bullit pretty soon, I finaly have the money saved up, and i'll be ordering it within the next week or so, hopefully. I do have a question on sizing though. I am about 5'10"-5'11"(not exactly sure) and I'm right on the edge of the medium and the large. I fit perfectly on the medium demo 9, and that has a 23" top tube, but it had about a 70mm stem on it I think. So i'm thinking the large bullit with a 23.8" top tube will work out great for me with my 40mm stem. I'm planning on going up to whistler alot next year, and am going to be more freeride oriented rather than dh oriented(that's why i'm not shelling out the cash for a v-10 like i was originaly planning) Right now I'm riding a hardtail with a 22" top tube, and it feels a bit on the small side(great for tossing around though). Any ideas on what i should get? any info will help.

p.s. I am going to be throwing a 2002 super t on the front of it, and will eventually upgrade to either a 888 or a shiver. not sure if that will make a difference with what size to go with or not, but who knows. and if anyone in the ballard/seattle area has a bullit in either a medium or a large, I would love to hop on and see how it feels size wise.
I can answer your question for you. You should get the large. I rode for santa cruz for 4 years and have owned several bullits and know their sizing very well. On the large for your height you can adjust the stem length to compensate for the frame length easily. If you plan on going to Whistler you will want a little longer wheelbase for stability at speed, but you will be able to use the bike to freeride in tight stuff as well (bullits have short wheel bases). Running the shorter stem (your 40mm is perfect!) on the large frame will make for the perfect setup for you. If you go with the medium, you won't like the frame. With the forks your talking about putting on your bike you will be constantly smacking your knees on the fork!
Just one more thing, have you looked at the vp-free?

iridebikes

Monkey
Jan 31, 2004
seattle
hey holliswood, thanks. I am pretty sure that the large would be better in most cases. I'm usually not in super tight stuf that often. and i am currently smacking my knees quite a big into the top crown of my super t. I have looked at the vp-free, but I'm not so sure i can aford that. I guess i could just hold off a couple months while i am saving up money... I duno. I'm going to call over to greg's becuase they're building one up pretty soon(they were just waiting for the parts kit) and over to downhill zone to see what they have in stock to test ride. I've been constantly going back and forth between several different models. but I've heard that the vpfree is sick, and I've seen people go huge on them. I've ridden a 2003 medium v-10 and it felt really nice, both size wise and the way it rode, i was actually able to pedal it up the hill easier than my hardtail. I have actually looked into canefield brothers' dh bike as well. it seems like it would be a really really good bike. same idea as the vpp design(chain tension bringing the axle down into the sweet spot to reduce pedal bob). the canefield bikes have the axle traveling up and away from the bb, which makes all 9'' of travel the "sweet spot". but that's an extra couple hundred more than the vp-free, and more of a dh race rig. thanks for the info