Quantcast

What size Czar?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I'm going to buy a trials bike, a new Czar I think, and I can't figure out what size to get. The short frame is a 1075 wheelbase, and the long is a 1095. I'm about 5'9", but I don't know which one would work best for me. Both sizes feel weird, so I can't tell which one feels best... what would you do?

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
Usually urban riding tends to favor a shorter wheelbase. Of course, your individual preferences may override this, but since you are asking...

Longer will be more stable, but perhaps a bit less "flickable". There are plenty of guys who are over 6-foot that ride mod, let alone a shorter wheelbase stock frame, so you could certainly get accustomed to it.

My first all-out stock frame was a long (at about 1100mm) and I shortened it to about 1085 for my next frame.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
Awesome, that makes sense. So short Czar stock it is. I just need Web Cyclery to get them in stock. They said they should have them anyday now. I'm psyched, any norcal monkeys wanna ride some trials?

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
So here's another question... the Czar is a 385mm chainstay +30 bottom bracket, and the Adamant is a 375mm chainstay +15 bottom bracket... both bikes are within a few dollars of eachother, which one would be better for primarily urban trials? I know the lower bb of the Adamant would be a bit less twitchy, but the longer chainstays of the Czar would make side hops and rear wheel gaps better. I'm just checking, I know either bike would be sick, but I just want to hear what others would say.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
shorter chainstays will make it easier to balance on your rear wheel. however a longer chainstay will give you more leverage for rear wheel moves. it depends on your style i guess.

FWIW I prefer a little higher of a BB, it gives better clearance. I deal with the twichiness... you get used to it after a while and it improves your finesse.

I'm not norcal, but if you have make it down to south LA give me a heads up and we can ride.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
So here it finally is. I built wheels last night and got it all finished up this morning, parking lot ride was fun. Bike is funny though, where did my seat go?:imstupid:

Attachments

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
So here it finally is. I built wheels last night and got it all finished up this morning, parking lot ride was fun. Bike is funny though, where did my seat go?:imstupid:
I just got my first trials bike a few days ago, and still try to sit down for a break everynow and then. I only fell down doing that once though.:monkeydance: