Quantcast

What size DJ frame for me?

oddblob

Chimp
Aug 4, 2004
Salem, Oregon
I'm 5'10" and never done any dirt jumping - but I'm getting more and more interested as I do bigger and bigger jumps with my Rocky Mountain Switch. So, I'm looking at building a DJ bike. At my height, what size frame should I be looking for? I have the option of using a 5" travel Z1 or Jr. T fork on the bike, if that matters. I've tried a 14" K2 Funky Monkey with an XC fork, but when I turn the bars the front wheel hits my feet. Is that because the frame is too small, or do I just need a longer fork to push that front wheel far enough out to miss my feet? Opinions and advice appreciated.

Dr. Steth

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Anywhere but here.
Check out any mag or movie. Just about every dirt jump/street bike run around four inches of stiff, travel. Sometimes less.
I'd say that frame is a little small for you. That's just my opinion.
You don't need to be all raked out w/ that type of bike. So I would nix the Jr.T. all together.
You should be able to have the travel reduced on that Z1. It'll stiffin it up a bit too. I had it done to my DJ1 and it made a big difference.
With that in mind, dirt jumping is all about rhythm and fluidity, not soaking up high speed bumps or drops, hense the "short travel trend".
Having the fork firm or stiff keeps the fork from bottoming out while running up the lip of the jump and it won't bog your speed down between transitions.
Hope this makes since. Good luck.