Quantcast

What size DJ frame?

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Hey guys,

I ride medium DH bikes and trail rigs. I'm 5'11, and my legs/arms are normal size I suspose, nothings really long or short. I was thinking about building up a DJ bike and was looking at the sizes, but what I think is a medium DJ frame isn't like a medium DH bike. I was looking at the Kona Cowan and it seems like a large is considered a 17" which is as close to what I ride now, but a 15" is a small.........and the only difference is the top tube. One's 23 somethin and the other is 22" exactly.

I know I'll be running a 50mm stem (shortest possible I think) and everything would be DJ/4x specific as far as parts go. I'm just wondering how you determine what size you need without trying the frame yourself. Somethings I've read the guys are 6ft and a small/long fits both? I dunno how that works but I don't want it to be too small, but at the same time not too long with a 50mm stem.

Just looking for some help on picking the right frame size.

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
i am about 5'10" and ride a small scab which is similar to the cowan and i would say you would be comfortable on the medium. the large would be too long to DJ nicely and the small would feel odd to you, but honestly try bikes out with similar TT lengths and see how you like em. for reference i had a 17" stinky (older 5" travel ones) and it was awesome for DH and such...but then i like small bikes too..and a 16.5" azonic eliminator which felt equally good