Quantcast

what size monitor would you use for photos?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I have an extra, older computer collecting dust and thought I'd use it to as a permanent photo display machine.

I'm thinking I'll take an LCD monitor and build a picture frame around it, set it to rotate photos.

What size monitor would you use?

Would you cut a hole in your dry wall and mount it in there? Kinda flush mount?

If you had a dual monitor card, would you buy two LCDs?

Do you have a recommendation on software to rotate photos on a windows machine? What rotation cycle would you use?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I have an extra, older computer collecting dust and thought I'd use it to as a permanent photo display machine.

I'm thinking I'll take an LCD monitor and build a picture frame around it, set it to rotate photos.

What size monitor would you use?

Would you cut a hole in your dry wall and mount it in there? Kinda flush mount?

If you had a dual monitor card, would you buy two LCDs?

Do you have a recommendation on software to rotate photos on a windows machine? What rotation cycle would you use?
Some LCD TV/Monitors have flash memory readers with rudimentary slideshow features built-in. You can also buy a 9.2" digital photoframe at your local linens and things for about $180 with one of their 20% off coupons. Some the newer digital photoframe even have built in wifi and quality is improving - check out Amazon.com for reviews and what is available.

I've never had any interest in making or buying my own digital picture frame but there are a dime a dozen photo slideshow/editor/video CD maker programs.

As far as free stuff -

Google's Picasa is pretty looking and user friendly.

I personally like Irfanview - you can use the batch processing built-in for resizing, etc and then create slideshows you have pretty good control of photo order/advancement, you can add music, looping options, and tons of other options. After you are done you can save it as an executable, screensaver, data CD, or VCD (for playback in most modern DVD players without a computer):

http://www.irfanview.com/

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Some LCD TV/Monitors have flash memory readers with rudimentary slideshow features built-in.
neat.

You can also buy a 9.2" digital photoframe at your local linens and things for about $180 with one of their 20% off coupons.
that's cool and all, but I can get a 15" LCD monitor for half that price or a 19 for the same.

Thanks for the software recommendation!

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
that's cool and all, but I can get a 15" LCD monitor for half that price or a 19 for the same.
Yeah but the frame comes with an IR remote, black and brown swappable frames, some built in memory, a whole bunch of flash slots, plays videos, no big PC to hide, lower power requirements, and ready to go/mount. If you didn't have an old PC laying around, it would definitely cost more time and money for DIY. I will give you that the LCDs they use aren't that great, but its an all in one ready to go package.

If its a really old PC you might want to throw some linux distro on it instead, maybe even a live CD would do if it had USB mass storage drivers and slideshow program. There are a few multimedia digital audio players out there based on linux, so I am sure you could find the software you need to get the job done.