Quantcast

What so great about the orange?

Lumpy_Gravy

Monkey
Sep 16, 2003
Originally posted by D_D
They are not that cheap here ~$2800 for a 223 with a 5th. There are cheaper frames available.

I am not sure they are really seen as inferior either. There are quite a lot about. An orange of one form or another is proberly the most common full sus frame that I see,
Exactly what I was going to say. They are mid-priced, about same price as the 2004 V10 QR model.But they are very popular here in the UK.

Surely there is no point asking a pro for their opinions on a frame they are paid to ride. I would imagine they are instructed from marketing on what to say. I saw an interview with Peat and when asked on his opinions on inverted forks and linkage frames he would not respond.

Anyway I havent tried one but I would consider one because a) so many ride them here b) they won 2 world cups and c) they look nice.

Also I didnt think they were as light as they were made out to be. :confused:

Regardless many many people love them, and If I get to try one then I might be one of them

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Lumpy_Gravy
Exactly what I was going to say. They are mid-priced, about same price as the 2004 V10 QR model.But they are very popular here in the UK.

Surely there is no point asking a pro for their opinions on a frame they are paid to ride. I would imagine they are instructed from marketing on what to say. I saw an interview with Peat and when asked on his opinions on inverted forks and linkage frames he would not respond.

Anyway I havent tried one but I would consider one because a) so many ride them here b) they won 2 world cups and c) they look nice.

Also I didnt think they were as light as they were made out to be. :confused:

Regardless many many people love them, and If I get to try one then I might be one of them
they are incredibly light. 36-40 lbs depending on how you build them. Most of my guys team bikes will fall in the 37/38 lb range.

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Transcend
they are incredibly light. 36-40 lbs depending on how you build them. Most of my guys team bikes will fall in the 37/38 lb range.
Now that is light.
I'ed like to take one for a spin sometime.
Can I at least parking lot test yours at Big Bear?

spookydave

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by SinatorJ
Because they spent alot of money on talent. Who does not want a bike that won 2 world cup overal titles. Monkey see... Monkey do.
That is called "Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday".
Nothing new there. The auto industry has been doing that for a year or 2 also. :)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I don't see what the big issue is here. Orange makes good bikes. Saying its the same as a bullit is like saying "Why buy an M1, can't you get an Azonic for the same price? Why buy a 5spot, isn't an Azonic Xtension the same? Why buy an Endless, aren't there 500 other HTs that are the same?" Ridiculous. They are simple, well made, durable, light and fast. Being a single pivot does not make them inferior- think Gemeni, Turner, Tomac: all single pivots, some with linkages, all good bikes.

Oh, and Fraser, you're kind of being a dick. Yeah, the guy broke 3 bikes. Seems a bit odd but you don't know jack about how he rode or anything. He tells about his bad experience and you respond with "well obviously, you did something wrong". Give the man a chance.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Oh BTW they aren't good for more than one season, they are that DH race specific. Thought you should know.

o if you doing silly drops and big freeride stuff, you are abusing the bike. It is purely a one season DH race bike.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by spookydave
Now that is light.
I'ed like to take one for a spin sometime.
Can I at least parking lot test yours at Big Bear?
No problem, that's a big 10-4. Mine is in the 38lb range i believe, boxxer and floating brake.

Dave T on our squad has a boxxer and regular rear, so his is the lightest by far.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by JRogers
I don't see what the big issue is here. Orange makes good bikes. Saying its the same as a bullit is like saying "Why buy an M1, can't you get an Azonic for the same price? Why buy a 5spot, isn't an Azonic Xtension the same? Why buy an Endless, aren't there 500 other HTs that are the same?" Ridiculous. They are simple, well made, durable, light and fast. Being a single pivot does not make them inferior- think Gemeni, Turner, Tomac: all single pivots, some with linkages, all good bikes.

Oh, and Fraser, you're kind of being a dick. Yeah, the guy broke 3 bikes. Seems a bit odd but you don't know jack about how he rode or anything. He tells about his bad experience and you respond with "well obviously, you did something wrong". Give the man a chance.
Ya i kinda was, i was under the impression that he meant all of that went wrong at once, on one bike. I mean, obviosuly that wasn't a JRA case. Seeing as it was 3 bikes, i still think there is an issue, but i apologize for coming off as a 'tard.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Horrendous Hack
Oh BTW they aren't good for more than one season, they are that DH race specific. Thought you should know.

o if you doing silly drops and big freeride stuff, you are abusing the bike. It is purely a one season DH race bike.
That is just plain wrong. I rode one for 2 season without a problem.

It is however as you state a very racey bike. I wouldn't want to benderize it, that is for sure. If you abuse them like you would say an apocalypse, it will fail.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Ya i kinda was, i was under the impression that he meant all of that went wrong at once, on one bike. I mean, obviosuly that wasn't a JRA case. Seeing as it was 3 bikes, i still think there is an issue, but i apologize for coming off as a 'tard.
I will admit, the whole thing does seem "fishy" to me too...just wanna be evenhanded.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
That is just plain wrong. I rode one for 2 season without a problem.

It is however as you state a very racey bike. I wouldn't want to benderize it, that is for sure. If you abuse them like you would say an apocalypse, it will fail.
You can race it for 2 seasons but the next year throw it around drop tyle it would fail.

Joe

Monkey
Dec 5, 2003
HoyHoy
Here in the uk we get proper mud. the 222 has great mud clearance, two bearings, shock hidden out the way of the wheel. Its great for conditions here. Ive never taken the swing arm off in two years of ownership. This bike has taken a lot from me, but i rarely break anything, touch wood. I dont take the roughest of lines, i take the smoothest fastest line and i generally ride light.
It does stiffen when i pedal but thats fine for me, i dont pedal in the really rough stuff where you need your suspension.

As i said dont knock it until youve tried it. I dont care for fancy linkages as it means more maintenance, bearings wear etc.

Just go ride.

I know plenty of people that have ****ed em up, but it doesnt really bother me. Its not jusst a race bike, i use it for DH riding in general, maybe some DJs.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by Horrendous Hack
You can race it for 2 seasons but the next year throw it around drop tyle it would fail.
Well as you stated yourself, if you have one of these to huck off cliffs, you have the wrong bike!

It is a purebred race bike, just like you wouldnt ask a thoroughbred philly to pull a farm plow, you don't huck a 223 off a cliff.

Given proper treatment, a 223 will last an awful long time.

Mar 3, 2004
England!
Well as you stated yourself, if you have one of these to huck off cliffs, you have the wrong bike!

It is a purebred race bike, just like you wouldnt ask a thoroughbred philly to pull a farm plow, you don't huck a 223 off a cliff.

Given proper treatment, a 223 will lost an awful long time.
Yup, given TLC.

However many people buy the frame for the wrong reason and then complain when it fails/dosen't suit.

math2014

wannabe curb dropper
Sep 2, 2003
I want to move to BC!!!
Originally posted by arcteryx33
Plug orange some more. Orange in England has a different rep. Most riders I know from the UK see orange as inferior. Funny how that works.
They also see hope disc brakes as inferior (in terms of reliability).

Dec 25, 2003
Edinburgh, Scotland
Originally posted by math2014
They also see hope disc brakes as inferior (in terms of reliability).
That they are........this is coming from 6 years working in the trade from the days when disc brakes were something of a new fangled thing, Hope brakes are not what they used to be and I would not ride them for myself.

I am also not a fan of the Orange, common as muck round these parts and dont really light my fire asthetically, not ridden one though so I cant dismiss them as bad bikes, they must be doing something right......just not my bag.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
dunno - the guy weighs 125 wet :D

all those 3ft drops to flat probably did it in :D

:eek:

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
Fraser, can I be on your team? My bike weighs around 50-55lbs and I'm a slow, hack rider! :D

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by ChrisRobin
Fraser, can I be on your team? My bike weighs around 50-55lbs and I'm a slow, hack rider! :D
only if you can push it to the shouth shore. ;) I'm going to see mike monday morning to get my wheels built for bromont on sunday.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I went from a Kona Stab Primo to a Orange 222 because I got it for a good price in Europe. I got it because Im light and want a lighter bike I can better control. A lot of people has it and everybody I know have had good experience with their 222 and nothing braking. I have unfortunately not ridden it very much so far so can not comment on the ride much except for the test rides I done and I liked a lot. I like the protected shock. I like the 5th element matched with the suspension design. I like the floating brake.

All in all I think it a great bike but it doesn't deserve more hype than other bikes. I do think that it has won two world cups says something just like the M1 winning history says something about the quality af that design.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
Peat is Orange most important sponsored rider, when Peat was on a Dhi, he said: THIS is the best bike on the planet!! Do you guys really belive Peat tried out the 10 best bikes awailable, and chosed the Orange based on the quality/construction alone???

If you ask Chris Kovaric what he think of his new M3 vs an Orange 223, what kind of answer do you think you will get?

Or any top sponsored rider?

I am not saying that the 223 is a poor bike, but dont use sponsored riders coments as the final word on frames qualitys.
Thats BS!!

Just a Q, how stiff is this long swingarm compared to shorter singlepovots like a DHR arm or VPP/Karp style rears?

Espen

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
i rode for orange last year...this year i'm not although i'm still riding on a 222. so, ya my totally unbiased opinion on the bike is...it's a race bike...it does its job and it does its job as well as every other race bike out there. coming from riding a DHi to a 222, i actually hated the way the 222 pedaled. granted it sprints wonderfully, and pedals well, i just don't like the feedback and the feel of the back end locking up compared to the DHi. the 222 is light as hell, anyone who says "they aren't that light" must be on crack. get on one and flick it around a bit off some jumps. that's actually the one thing i love about the bike, it is so easy to throw around and jump. when it comes right down to it, i believe its all personal preference. all this B.S. about the orange making the fast rider even faster is exactly that...B.S. it's about choosing the right bike for your riding style, maybe an M1 will make the fast rider even faster, or maybe even a V10...it's all what u r comfortable on. i'll be the first to say, i suck, i don't really like taking racing seriously at all and would rather be at the mountain riding when and what i want to ride as opposed to having pressure from someone on having to do well but the 222 worked great for me and how i ride, doesnt pedal as well as the DHi but still it pedals a hell of a lot better than other bikes out there. i dont like the feel of linkage bikes M1s etc. so the more simple design just suited me although it might not suit everyone, which doesnt make it a bad bike or not as good as something else. its just all about how u ride, works for some doesnt work for others. all bikes break and in all honesty there is no "best race (jump, huck, freeride whatever) bike" out there.

B

bighitfsr

In Australia orange 222/223s are everywhere.
I know lots of guys who huck big drops and gaps on a regular basis with the orange.
I also know of bikes that have been abused for 2+ years without any problems and are still going.

Oranges are basically the one lightest bikes that will hold up to the abuse of DH. The suspesnsion is linear, not active, brake jacks and has pedaling feedback so its a compromise to achive strength and light weight. The BB height and head angle are adjustable which is useful.
I personally prefer linkage bikes with a rising suspension rate.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Inclag
I think in some cases, a bike that is simpler and lighter like a Orange will help out a rider that is already fast. I know at the level I'm at, a bike like an Orange would probably make me slower than I already am. On the other hand, I were very fast, the lighter weight and stiffness might be a better tradeoff to make me faster than say a certain type of linkage or different geometry.
I would also agree with that. I used to ride a Foes DHS. From riding it and other pure single pivot bikes (no Giant style linkages), I can say that they forced you to ride in a consistantly agressive way. I noticed that on my Foes, if I got too far back that I was putting MUCH more pressure on the shock than if I was riding over the front. The single pivot DH bikes I have ridden have had a much more linear spring rate than the linkage bikes have. It was a traight that rewards a good rider, but can be a little but too much for a newb (It was my first DH bike). Then I switched to a Spec FSR (2 years) and now have an M1 (3rd yearnow). I can say that the linkage bikes allow be to be all over the place and not have to worry about the bike trying to fly out from under me. A lighter/cheaper bike like and Orange would be cool, but I'm very happy with what I have now.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
I don't get this thread you can take out the word "Orange" and put any other bike companies name there...it's a choice, nothing more everyone chooses their bikes for different reasons....maybe we should all just start riding Nicolai's;)

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Originally posted by BMXman
I don't get this thread you can take out the word "Orange" and put any other bike companies name there...it's a choice, nothing more everyone chooses their bikes for different reasons....maybe we should all just start riding Nicolai's;)
I would say there is a lot of good information if you want to know more about the Orange 222/223 but I will give that it is not one of those exciting threads about having the wrong tool when you want to install a buttom bracket :D

Originally posted by Espen
Peat is Orange most important sponsored rider, when Peat was on a Dhi, he said: THIS is the best bike on the planet!! Do you guys really belive Peat tried out the 10 best bikes awailable, and chosed the Orange based on the quality/construction alone???

If you ask Chris Kovaric what he think of his new M3 vs an Orange 223, what kind of answer do you think you will get?

Or any top sponsored rider?

I am not saying that the 223 is a poor bike, but dont use sponsored riders coments as the final word on frames qualitys.
Thats BS!!

Just a Q, how stiff is this long swingarm compared to shorter singlepovots like a DHR arm or VPP/Karp style rears?

Espen
well said. just becuase chris kovarik won a bunhc of races on a GT LOBO doesn't mean an average ride like me would want to touch it with a ten foot pole.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I got rid of my V10 to get the 222, and I like the Orange a lot better. The 222 is very much a race bike, not so much a freeride bike. As soon as you get it on the trail you realize that. As far as the whole sponsor thing goes, you can't necessarily trust the rider. Seeing Peaty and the Global homies definitely gives me some confidence in the bike.