Quantcast

What spring for my fat butt? 5th Element..

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
I weigh 225-30ish and am curious what spring weight I need for a 5th element. Its on a Bullit and I will be hucking and jumping and shuttling and basically riding hard. Recommendations? Thanks.

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
Actually there is spring info in the tech area, I didnt see that last time I went there, Thanks

But I need some more help....what is the stroke length on a Bullit? Anyone...

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
The bike is being shipped. Dont have it yet. SC's site has a chart for set up, but says shock weight setup should be in the 350-375 range. Is that set up good for big drops and jumping? I am just wondering if someone who rides a 5th could help out with this.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
heh, i didnt know shuttling had any bearing on spring weight :)

j/k

id say 450 would do you well...is this a steel or Ti spring? it makes a difference. i ran a 600# steel spring, but when i went to Ti, i dropped to 500# for the same feel.

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
Holy Frikkin Kriky ya'll are a bunch a smartiepantses, WTF, Henceforth I will make it my life goal to search each and everyone of ya'lls threads and point out every incongruity, every flaw, every irrlelevant detail. REVENGE WILL BE MINE!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAH(evil laugh) Just Kidding, but seriously GET A LIFE! HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!(evil roar) still just kidding...........or AM I?

SJ10

Chimp
Dec 11, 2004
I weigh just a little more than you (~245-250) and I went with a 475 on my bullit. I had a 550 for a little while but it was too harsh and didn't really allow the 5th to travel through its stroke. The stock (350) was way too soft. The 475 gave be about the right amount of sag for dh riding and then I just fine tuned the other adjustments to give me the progression that I wanted. Anything in the 475 to 525 range should work.

SJ

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
of all the 5ths i have ridden, the only ones that feel like they live up to its hype are those that have been sent back and rebuilt...same with the swingers...

dhx5 feels super sweet...and i cant praise my avalanche enough. best upgrade for my bike ever...foxRC->avalanche chubie...mmmm good.

before:

after:

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
Ordered a 475 from my shop. Normally I like to find a good deal on something used, but this time it just didnt happen. Got it for $45, not so bad. Thanks for all of your help and SMARTASS comments. Later ya'll.

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
visit santacruz.com they have a chart for the bullit, every 5th element shock in the santa cruz bikes is valved different and requires different spring rates...

for example, i have a 500 spring on my VP-Free and a 400 spring on my bullit... they both use 5th elemt shocks...

so.... go for it...

p.d. im 230 pounds... and give a lot of punishment to both bikes...

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
o yeah, and Ti springs feel a lot better, not quite understand why... but i leave that to geeks to figure out... i just love it...

Stickler

Chimp
Feb 12, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I think that 475 lb spring will be stiff.

Been riding a Bullit for the past year with a 425 lb and weigh about the same as you. The 425lb spring and about 115psi the bike felt good.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My buddy is 210 and rides a bullit/888 and runs a 425 on his 5th. He is looking for a 450 or 475. He says he bottoms it out every once in awhile but he goes fairly big but nothin too major. He does 4-5 to flat and 8-9 to tranny.

FYI:
His 5th was just rebuilt by Hippie Tech. DO NOT SEND YOUR 5TH TO HIPPIE TECH. Its leaking and they charged him for a new shaft and they sent it back with a used shaft but charged him for a new one. Plus they didn't even replace the worn out crushed bumber and charged him around $150.

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
I cant say this without laughing, but I like it stiff in the rear, so a 475 should be okay for now. As it is the 325 is just mush. Its comfy but not what I want to be jumping with. I am looking mostly for big hit absorption. My first clue with Hippie Tech would have been the name. Never trust a Hippie with your gear......

pangeist

Monkey
Mar 18, 2005
Santa Barbara
Oh and I called Progressive about the spring recommendations for the Bullit and the guy suggested a 575# spring based on my weight and their info. So not wanting to ride a hardtail since I already have one, I opted for the 475 instead.