Quantcast

What style to mount my ski bindings?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
So I got some new skis for Christmas, Rossignol scratch sprayer BS 176mm with scratch bindings, and I'm going skiing tomorrow and took them in today to get them mounted...they asked me if I want "to mount them all-mountain or park and pipe." I just said All-mountain, but they told me I'll get some time to think about it before they start to work...

Whats the difference?
On the ski it had a solid "standard" line and an inch back was a dotted line (I forget what it said) I'm presuming that's what they meant for the bindings location. I'm coming from a standard mount on basic Rossignol Axium skis and want to try more park and pipe stuff, but will be working on kickers in the back country more likely and doing a lot more powder skiing.

Any help is appreciated, since I can't find anything online.

P.S. these are twin tip skis, and I'm aware this should be on slopemonkey, but I need a fast response...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Ok...well I sorta figured that, but what sort of difference does it make? Will I have difficult turning with it being center? Or will jumping be hard when its mounted back?

:-/

Feb 23, 2005
Spokanada
Being center allows you to spin easier. This isnt a problem on groomed/packed runs, but can cause you trouble in powder and crud because you won't be able to get into as aggressive of forward stance. With an "all mountain" (standard) mount you have more ski in front of the boot. This allows you to be get more forward over your skis.

I ride both mountain and park. With my park skis I dont feel I have as much control on the slopes because I tend to ride them more upright. But spinning and jumping feels more comfortable because my center of gravity is balanced on the skis.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Hmm thanks. Sounds like I should just keep them "all-mountain" since, although I want to try more park stuff, I do a lot more "all-mountain" type riding.

These are my first twin tips too...no sense in making to many changes that I probably wont really notice anyhow.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
For our snow...all mountian.

If you were only riding in the groomed (park and pipe..or the midwest) center mount might be interesting. They will ski better backwards (center mounted) but they will loose stability at speed and want to thow you OTB in our wet heavy gunk around here!

Some bindings will allow some fore-aft adjustment after mounting BTW..

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Some bindings will allow some fore-aft adjustment after mounting BTW..
I am not aware of a binding other than maybe some demo bindings that allow this.:brow: Look/Dynastar/Rossi, Marker, Salomon all have a fixed toe piece. The scratch binding is definitely a fixed toe, I am sure it also has no lifter too.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Well I just had them mounted in between...so its a little bit of both worlds...I figured that way I cant go wrong.

thanks for the help though.