Quantcast

What the California Dept of Consumer Affairs says about AirBomb

Ranger63

Chimp
Jun 13, 2007
I know,I know..I probably should have done a background check before using a debit card to order Panaracer tires from this place late last month.
Following what most dsigruntled AirBomb customers already knew regarding anyone getting back regarding the where abouts of the tires (the tracking site is non existant)and finding myself being placed on hold (this is a toll charge from the east coast to the west)and then disconnected, I called the 1-800 952-5210 line for consumer assistance.
What I was told (and a Hard copy will be forthcomming)was I may not see the merchandise at all..ever.
Apparently the Ca. Att. Generals office is looking into shutting AirBomb/BeyondBikes down permenantly..
The showroom you see on the homepage...apparently doesn't exist.
The Consumer Affairs Dept. was definite in stating the shadiness of this on line ordering house and I figured I'd pass the info on in hopes it'll prevent some unwary consumer from making the same ($62.)mistake I did.

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
i have been on that store.... great place to buy if you dont care about "price".
online order tough...... well, you know better

good luck

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
For the record, I have been in the beyond bikes showroom before, and it does look like that. That doesn't mean that I would ever shop online with them, nor would I buy anything from their store. They have high prices like a local bike shop, but crappy customer service like an online store. The worst of both worlds.

I'm pretty sure their showroom stays the same because no one ever wants to buy from there.

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
I ordered a part from them last week cause they were the omly one's that had it in stock, should I be pissed and not expect it to arrive?

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Personally, I've never had a problem with Beyond Bikes. They're probably the only LBS in San Diego that has alot of those hard to find stuff, especially body armor. They have great deals too, if you look for them (scored intense 909 FRO's for $14ea.)

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
If they don't ship your product you can file a charge back with your credit card company. It shouldn't be a problem at all.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't see that you had used a debit card. Good advice below on that.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Never, EVER use a debit card to buy stuff you have to wait for, or have any chance of needing a refund for. Had it been a credit card, you would already have your money back. Your bank MIGHT recover the $ for you, but it will take a while. Same with Paypal, it's ok to use it, but ALWAYS make sure the payment option is CREDIT CARD! Pay with your checking $$, and you could kiss it goodbye.

Tmeyer

Monkey
Mar 26, 2005
SLC
Never, EVER use a debit card to buy stuff you have to wait for, or have any chance of needing a refund for. Had it been a credit card, you would already have your money back. Your bank MIGHT recover the $ for you, but it will take a while. Same with Paypal, it's ok to use it, but ALWAYS make sure the payment option is CREDIT CARD! Pay with your checking $$, and you could kiss it goodbye.
wow, I had no idea. I thought all paypal purchses were protected. Thanks for the info...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Actually, Paypal protection is only valid when Paypal feels like making it valid.

In theory, if you're shipping to a "confirmed address" within the U.S. the purchases are protected but the reality is that they aren't good about enforcing things correctly. Sometimes they'll back you up, sometimes you get no help.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
For the record, I have been in the beyond bikes showroom before, and it does look like that. That doesn't mean that I would ever shop online with them, nor would I buy anything from their store. They have high prices like a local bike shop, but crappy customer service like an online store. The worst of both worlds.

I'm pretty sure their showroom stays the same because no one ever wants to buy from there.

Ditto on the strorefront. I've been there before as well, and they gave me an AWESOME price on an intense 5.5 for the wife. But I picked it up in person and paid for it there, so no chance of anything going wrong. I've ordered a few other things from them as well w/o problem.

Although I do not doubt the experienec this guy had.