Quantcast

What the heck is wrong with my chain?

Discussion in 'BMX & Dirt Jumping' started by Savage_Animal, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Savage_Animal

Savage_Animal Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Alright, well on my P2 which I got a SS conversion for a while ago, everything is running fine until today I noticed the chain is kinda goofy.

Ok so when I make the right crank forward the chain is super tight, but when i move the left crank forward I can almost touch the chain to the CS. What is wrong?

Its still ridable, but just annoying, any advice?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. sittingduck

sittingduck Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Most likely, your chainring has somehow shifted on your cranks. A loose/tight spot like that is almost always the front chainring not spinning true.

3. Savage_Animal

Savage_Animal Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Thanks, thats what I thought was wrong, but I took it off and it looks good to me so is it something else?

4. Boxxer

Boxxer Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Loose BB, bent/tight chain, bent crank arm...

5. A Grove

A Grove Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Bent crank arm most likely wouldn't cause this.. a bent BB spindle however could very easily. I'm boding if you're running MTN cranks that SOMEHOW the chainwheel/chainring is outa round... but it shouldnt be that drastic. So that brings me back to a bend spindle.

Same thing will happen with hubs.. on one side its tight, twist it 180 degrees and there is play.. thats a tale tell sign of a bend axel

6. Savage_Animal

Savage_Animal Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    So you think I may have bent my axel? Well I think I will just strip it down tonight and see if I can see if anything is out of alighnment.

7. A Grove

A Grove Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    not your axel... your spindle. Although, there is a "SLIGHT" chance your axel may be bent as well....

8. opjones

opjones Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    show pics

9. Savage_Animal

Savage_Animal Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I thought you said axel, but anyway I checked over it and everything seems fine and true. Maybe its my chain?

10. A Grove

A Grove Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    I was merely using a bent axel as a example of your situation on a different scale. With a bent axel.. The hub will feel good, but when you rotate the axel, it will have a section that will have some "play" in it...

I'm boding on bent spindle/out of round chainring... The chain would have to have a section of links that would be stretched out more than the rest of them for that to happen...

11. ThePriceSeliger

ThePriceSeliger Mushhead

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    It's a tight spot in the chain. I used to have one when I was running a Seasons sproket. It can be caused by a few different things. You could have bent your chain ring if you bashed it, or your spindal. Most single speed bikes have tight spots whether you like it or not. Some are really bad, and some are not noticable. I had one that was like yours. My chain was on the verge of breaking, but then a half crank, the chain was WAY to loose. Take your chain off the front and rotate your cranks and look around to see if anything isn't right, if there are any wobbles and such.

12. sittingduck

sittingduck Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    It's not your chain. <--- guaranteed

13. chuffer

chuffer Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 71
    do you have mtb or bmx cranks?

14. Savage_Animal

Savage_Animal Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Thanks for the help guys, I took off my chain and mess with the thing a little bit, then oiled the chain at each link and whiped it off, that I think made somewhat of a diffence, because when I put it all together it wasn't as bad. But still noticable.

I don't see anything wrong with the sprocket or hub. I am also running mtb cranks.