Quantcast

What the heck is wrong with my chain?

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Alright, well on my P2 which I got a SS conversion for a while ago, everything is running fine until today I noticed the chain is kinda goofy.

Ok so when I make the right crank forward the chain is super tight, but when i move the left crank forward I can almost touch the chain to the CS. What is wrong?

Its still ridable, but just annoying, any advice?

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Most likely, your chainring has somehow shifted on your cranks. A loose/tight spot like that is almost always the front chainring not spinning true.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA
Bent crank arm most likely wouldn't cause this.. a bent BB spindle however could very easily. I'm boding if you're running MTN cranks that SOMEHOW the chainwheel/chainring is outa round... but it shouldnt be that drastic. So that brings me back to a bend spindle.

Same thing will happen with hubs.. on one side its tight, twist it 180 degrees and there is play.. thats a tale tell sign of a bend axel

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Bent crank arm most likely wouldn't cause this.. a bent BB spindle however could very easily. I'm boding if you're running MTN cranks that SOMEHOW the chainwheel/chainring is outa round... but it shouldnt be that drastic. So that brings me back to a bend spindle.

Same thing will happen with hubs.. on one side its tight, twist it 180 degrees and there is play.. thats a tale tell sign of a bend axel
So you think I may have bent my axel? Well I think I will just strip it down tonight and see if I can see if anything is out of alighnment.

A Grove

Monkey
Nov 20, 2007
State College, PA

I was merely using a bent axel as a example of your situation on a different scale. With a bent axel.. The hub will feel good, but when you rotate the axel, it will have a section that will have some "play" in it...

I'm boding on bent spindle/out of round chainring... The chain would have to have a section of links that would be stretched out more than the rest of them for that to happen...

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
It's a tight spot in the chain. I used to have one when I was running a Seasons sproket. It can be caused by a few different things. You could have bent your chain ring if you bashed it, or your spindal. Most single speed bikes have tight spots whether you like it or not. Some are really bad, and some are not noticable. I had one that was like yours. My chain was on the verge of breaking, but then a half crank, the chain was WAY to loose. Take your chain off the front and rotate your cranks and look around to see if anything isn't right, if there are any wobbles and such.

Savage_Animal

Monkey
Feb 3, 2008
Norcal
Thanks for the help guys, I took off my chain and mess with the thing a little bit, then oiled the chain at each link and whiped it off, that I think made somewhat of a diffence, because when I put it all together it wasn't as bad. But still noticable.

I don't see anything wrong with the sprocket or hub. I am also running mtb cranks.