Quantcast

What the hell am I missing here?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Uh, so I bought this wheelset, and I dont understand... Why uh... Why dont the threads extend far enough down the bolt for me to tighten it?
Am I doing something wrong?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
maxyedor said:
That looks to be a Saint sompatable hub, that slack in the axel is to sandwich a deraileur in, it could also be an axel designed to accomadate a floater.
Thats what I figured...

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Also, the wheel is dished all funky, so much so that it rubs my frame, so its obviously unridable for me, but can it be dished in a normal way without replacing spokes?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
kidwoo said:
What bike was this wheel on before you bought it?

Wasn't a specialized was it?
It has spec hubs, so Im assuming it was on a demo8. Apparently theyre dished like a bighit:help:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
BurlyShirley said:
It has spec hubs, so Im assuming it was on a demo8. Apparently theyre dished like a bighit:help:
That makes sense.
So your dish is about 10mm off and that axle/bolt is designed to accommodate this little derailleur guard/mount thing.

I've got a set of 05 demo8 wheels on my dirtjump bike and all I did to get them to fit was re-dish the wheel and I cut off some of the threads.

It Does look like a saint-specific bolt.

You might have to cut threads onto that shaft. I'm not familiar enough with the newer stout hubs to say how easy it is to switch out with another bolt.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
stoney98 said:
Hahahaha! Dumb ass. You're supposed to make sure that the wheel has the right axle spacing before you buy it.
No dude, the hub is the right size, its just that the axle is too long... Its not a 150mm or something..

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
kidwoo said:
That makes sense.
So your dish is about 10mm off and that axle/bolt is designed to accommodate this little derailleur guard/mount thing.

I've got a set of 05 demo8 wheels on my dirtjump bike and all I did to get them to fit was re-dish the wheel and I cut off some of the threads.

It Does look like a saint-specific bolt.

You might have to cut threads onto that shaft. I'm not familiar enough with the newer stout hubs to say how easy it is to switch out with another bolt.
Sounds simple enough. I have a solid axle in my spare parts bin, threaded all the way I could have it replaced with anyway, but those allen bolts are so nice... Ah well. ****!

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
loco said:
If it's just a skewer, I have one I can send you.
Nah man, Ive got that, but I want solid bolts on my flexy as all hell bullit. Appreciate the gesture though.

madbob

Monkey
May 31, 2004
fayettenam/camp mckall
It looks like you could replace the allen bolts with shorter ones, just make sure the thread pitch is the same. Any bolt & screw store, or a good hardware store would have what you need.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
stoney98 said:
Hahahaha! Dumb ass. You're supposed to make sure that the wheel has the right axle spacing before you buy it.
Wait a minute, who's the dumbass here?

Yep, it's you. The hub fits into the frame and the axle that came with it should be sized for the same spacing. Probably a Saint-specific axle as others have suggested.

:rolleyes: