Quantcast

What the hell is this?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I'm toying with the idea of a new mini DH sort of bike. Here's what I want, any ideas what this is? The guys on eMpTy BeeR failed pretty hard.

~7" of travel
~13.25" BB height
~65 HTA
<17.5" CS
23.5-24" ETT
FD compatible

Anyone?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks, but the ETT is only about 22.6 on the long. WAY too short.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Corsair Maelstrom. BB a little on the high side for you, though. I wonder if a shorter shock would work out, like a 9" i2i instead of 9.5".

http://corsairbikes.com/fly.aspx?layout=bike&taxid=59&sublayout=bikegeometry

Unless I do a custom Avy, a shorter shock isn't going to work, since it runs a 10.5x3.5. The next shorter "regular" size is a 9.5x3, which is way too short to be a reasonable change.

Cool bike though. It's been on my radar for sure. I wish it was lower, and their adjustable angle headset has a huge stack height, so getting the bar as low as I want might be hard.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Get a Nicolai. Helious or Ufo should be pretty close in one of the settings and if not you can always tailor the geo for you.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
My roommates slopestyle is sitting with a big fat pig DH headset and a 55rc3 has a 65 degree HA. BB is 13.25 its a little less in the travel department (6.5) but it feels pretty bottomless for a 6.5inch travel bike.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Sounds more like a DH bike with < 8" of travel that you are looking for.

I would say that a Specialized Demo 7 would fit the bill.

cneums

Monkey
Jul 9, 2009
Maryland, USA
the corsair is so dope. top quality materials/builds/everything, and their customer service is the best i've ever encountered. try emailing them, maybe they can help you out.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Would love that, but kind of out of my league budget wise.

BB's way too high.

Again, too high.
If only your arms are to long and the rest of the body is in norm just get a blindside with 800mm bars. I know it's not the amount of travell but it's rather progressive so it should still be agile

Lucky Grills

Chimp
Aug 5, 2009
Australia
If you had a large Intense Uzzi VP it would come close, except for the HT angle and BB height. Then if you used the aftermarket slacker dropouts for the previous model, you'd pretty much tick all those boxes.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you had a large Intense Uzzi VP it would come close, except for the HT angle and BB height. Then if you used the aftermarket slacker dropouts for the previous model, you'd pretty much tick all those boxes.
I'd also have to run a zero stack headset, a flat bar, and a -15 degree stem to get the bars low enough with the mondo HT on the large.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If only your arms are to long and the rest of the body is in norm just get a blindside with 800mm bars. I know it's not the amount of travell but it's rather progressive so it should still be agile
I need to be able to fit through trees. My 745mm Sunlines are about as wide as I can get away with.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I'm toying with the idea of a new mini DH sort of bike. Here's what I want, any ideas what this is? The guys on eMpTy BeeR failed pretty hard.

~7" of travel
~13.25" BB height
~65 HTA
<17.5" CS
23.5-24" ETT
FD compatible

Anyone?
I'm gonna go with Norbar on this one and say Nicolai UFO ST. I know you said it is out of your range, but if you can find one used, I'd say do it. I got mine for a great price. I know bullcrew got one for an even better price.

Travel - 163/170/182/196 mm options
Low BB - not sure exactly (website says 20mm BB rise)
66 HTA
16.7 CS (425mm)
23.6" ETT
FD mounting tower is avail.

I love mine. It is a bit heavy, but it rails.

I'd check one of the Canfield offerings
Can Diggle Large in 7" mode
65.4 HTA
23.5 ETT
17.5 CS
34 mm BB rise
FD - yes!

The One in 7"
66.5 HTA w/ a Marz 66
17.5 CS
24 ETT
22-34 mm BB rise
FD - yes!

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC

~7" of travel
~13.25" BB height
~65 HTA
<17.5" CS
23.5-24" ETT
FD compatible

Anyone?
Large Intense Slopestyle with Slacker drop outs or K9 headset cups.

6.5" travel
~13.2" BB height with Slackers
~65.5 HTA
~17" CS with Slackers
23.5 " ETT
FD compatible

160mm front fork with reducer flush mount headset, 0 degree rise stem and low rise bars make for a pretty low front end.
K9 cups would slack/drop things a bit more.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Large Intense Slopestyle with Slacker drop outs or K9 headset cups.

6.5" travel
~13.2" BB height with Slackers
~65.5 HTA
~17" CS with Slackers
23.5 " ETT
FD compatible

160mm front fork with reducer flush mount headset, 0 degree rise stem and low rise bars make for a pretty low front end.
K9 cups would slack/drop things a bit more.
That's looking like a front runner. The 2010 Scott Voltage FR also looks promising, but I haven't seen final geo numbers on it.

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
That's looking like a front runner. The 2010 Scott Voltage FR also looks promising, but I haven't seen final geo numbers on it.
Beat me to it...SS would def be a great candidate with the K9, or wait for the new Evil trail bikes, should be pretty close to those numbers.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
this isn't intended as a slam, but instead as a curious question.

what is the purpose of a DH race bike with DH geometry but short travel?

seems to me only logical that as the travel gets shorter, the angles get steeper. if you don't need much travel, you don't need much slackness.

is this just an exercise in e-riding, to kill time? or is there some legitimate reason to want what is basically a DH race bike with 2" less travel?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210

seems to me only logical that as the travel gets shorter, the angles get steeper. if you don't need much travel, you don't need much slackness.

is this just an exercise in e-riding, to kill time? or is there some legitimate reason to want what is basically a DH race bike with 2" less travel?
for me, i hate twitchy bikes. i'm comfy on the geo of a DH rocket but i don't always need the extra plush/mush of a sofa. shorter, twisty, pedaly, smoother courses don't require rock-gobbling suspension, but might have steep and/or fast sections that are better handled with slack geo, but you can get away with less travel, particularly in tight corners.

Jason4

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
Bellingham
Isn't this along the lines of the Sam Hill special MKIII that he raced at Sea Otter a few years back? I've read and heard that it was made to match his Sunday geo and make it easy to jump back and forth and still have a short travel bike that was more efficient on smoother courses. The next full suspension bike that I have my eye on will be a 5" bike with a 65 degree HA and low BB. I don't think I'll be able to buy it until next summer though. It'll make a good stable mate for my Revolt. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Isn't this along the lines of the Sam Hill special MKIII that he raced at Sea Otter a few years back? I've read and heard that it was made to match his Sunday geo and make it easy to jump back and forth and still have a short travel bike that was more efficient on smoother courses. The next full suspension bike that I have my eye on will be a 5" bike with a 65 degree HA and low BB. I don't think I'll be able to buy it until next summer though. It'll make a good stable mate for my Revolt. :D
That was the SSO (for Sam Sea Otter). There's a write up about it on Sicklines. Too bad they only ever made like 5 of them.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

I'm in sort of an odd situation with this one. Here's the deal. I spend about 8-9 months a year in SoCal, where all I do is take shuttle runs. There, I want a DH bike. But the rest of the time I'm in NY, where I ride a mix of lift served DH and AM. For that a full blown DH bike isn't going to be pedalable enough. Obviously the ideal solution is to have more bikes, but that's not really going to work budget wise.

I'm currently on a Bottle Rocket with -1.5 degree cups to put it around 65.5 HTA and a 13.75 BB. I'm fine pedaling that. I just want something a bit lower and with a little more travel, that I can still put a FD on and pedal.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
What you desire is damn near exactly the geo of a Demo 7.
And they do accept a front derailleur.
Your welcome.
Done.
hahaha

Seriously though, it is.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
What you desire is damn near exactly the geo of a Demo 7.
And they do accept a front derailleur.
Your welcome.
Done.
hahaha

Seriously though, it is.
Have you looked at the BB height on a Demo 7?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Huh. That's not what SpecialEd advertises at all. They're saying 14.25 in the low setting.

Dec 11, 2007
Lawn Dart Training Center
Slater is correct. the purple people eater Demo7 rides slacker than stated by specialized.
However he has a double barrel and I think its slightly shorter than the fox it came with.
Also, with a boxxer, my Intense SS has a 65* head angle (with a flush headset), 13.3bb, 23.5 top tube, takes a derailleur. The only thing way off are the shorter chainstays (16.75). It now has a vivid out back, very plush for 6.5" bike, and nice progressive curve. It rails, ask Slater!

Last edited:

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Slater is correct. the purple people eater Demo7 rides slacker than stated by specialized.
However he has a double barrel and I think its slightly shorter than the fox it came with.
Also, with a boxxer, my Intense SS has a 65* head angle (with a flush headset), 13.3bb, 23.5 top tube, takes a derailleur. The only thing way off are the shorter chainstays (16.75). It now has a vivid out back, very plush for 6.5" bike, and nice progressive curve. It rails, ask Slater!
That sounds perfect, I just want sub 17.5 chainstays. Sub 17 would be even better. So it's riding at 13.3 with that setup? Stock length shock? Again, that's lower than the mfg. claims. I've got a Totem currently, so at 180 that would match the Boxxer height wise pretty well.