Quantcast

what the hell is up w/ my ipod?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i thought apple design was unparalleled. it's not like i don't know how to add music to an ipod, i've got one and my wife has one.

well, a friend of mine sent me one to load up for him, and even though i'm manually managing the ipod, dropping songs onto the ipod via drag n drop (from windows explorer into iTunes), and they show in iTunes, when i disconnect the iPod and scan its library, it tells me there are no songs on it.

i know this isn't true because viewing the properties via windows explorer tells me that ~2GB are used.

what the hell is going on????

fvcking apple. :banghead: :plthumbsdown:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
do you hit the disconnect icon in itunes? sometimes if you just disconnect the ipod without "ejecting" it, you can run into the problem.
if that still doesnt work, try reformatting it.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I bought an Ipod nano a few years back and couldn't get it to do much of anything. I was embarrassed to return it but I still did. I bought a cheap sandisk for a quarter of the price and never had any difficulty using it - I'm a big fan of dumbing down for the masses. :)

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
do you hit the disconnect icon in itunes? sometimes if you just disconnect the ipod without "ejecting" it, you can run into the problem.
if that still doesnt work, try reformatting it.
yeah, i've disconnected it fine, a few times.

i might have to take it to the APPLE GENIUSES since i appear to be a dumbass.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
those people at apple are from geniuses.
try formatting it, then throwing it on the ground.

...nothing shows up under artist or anything huh?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
it sounds like you didnt transfer the songs from itunes to the pod even though you manually put them in itunes. I know it sounds really dumb but I have done it once or twice, made a new gym mix in itunes, went to the gym ready to rock only to have my shuffle laugh at me because i forgot to transfer the playlist from itunes to the device. Also hold the center button and play button down for a bit that will reset the pod.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the genius at the Genius Bar™ told me it was corrupted and needed to be restored. he reformatted for a Mac, and now i'll try to do it for a PC. all the last two nights of tune selection, dragging and dropping are wasted.

thanks Apple!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
itunes/ipods are finicky creatures.

anytime i update itunes, it has issues with recognizing my ipod.

try to put new music on the ipod, same deal.

after awhile....problem goes away.

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
MY recollection of record players was when u dropped the arm the music played and cds and mds were pretty much the same. The bright shining future of didgital was anything,anyhwere always. It will work but still nascent. Endure, it'll get there.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Keep in mind that the Ipod/Itunes is specifically designed to prevent music sharing.

I can't say that I am a Ipod expert, but lets try it like this:

1. Is the Ipod "registered" to your computer, or to the owner? I believe you cannot upload music from your computer unless this Ipod is registered to your computer.

2. The owner understands whatever music you put on his Ipod, cannot be uploaded to his computer.

One solution would be to copy your music to a memory stick or hdd, and then let him upload music to his computer and then he do whatever wants with it. Especially if all your music is in mp3 format.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Keep in mind that the Ipod/Itunes is specifically designed to prevent music sharing.

I can't say that I am a Ipod expert, but lets try it like this:

1. Is the Ipod "registered" to your computer, or to the owner? I believe you cannot upload music from your computer unless this Ipod is registered to your computer.

2. The owner understands whatever music you put on his Ipod, cannot be uploaded to his computer.

One solution would be to copy your music to a memory stick or hdd, and then let him upload music to his computer and then he do whatever wants with it. Especially if all your music is in mp3 format.
Or take your ipod to his house and install senuti or podworks or something and rip the tunes off the Ipod and onto his computer.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Or take your ipod to his house and install senuti or podworks or something and rip the tunes off the Ipod and onto his computer.
There is definitely ways around it, but assuming that the other guy is no Steve Jobs, there is probably easier brute force methods.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Itunes on a PC is a terrible piece of software from what I have seen. Itunes on a mac is glorious.
I have lots of experience with PC's but strictly as a home user.

I just have a little experience with Macs.

I am an expert level Unix person with attaching and administering storage.

I use Itunes for Windows, and it is a huge resource hog. I assume it has to do with 2 things: a poor bus/motherboard design bottlenecking I/O from the disk drive to the sound card, and bad multitasking O/S, which makes simple tasks like switching applications or even keystroking buffering a noticeable chore.

I've used Itunes on the Mac, and everything seem to work fine. I assume this has to do with the backend linux o/s and an excellent hardware design.

Functionality of Itunes is going to be limited because recording laws, so there are some gotchas I have to work around.