Quantcast

what the hell is wrong with america:two steps forward, one step back

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Silver said:
Bleach, baby. 2tsp to 20oz of water, in a spray bottle. No nasty overly perfumed smell that way, and it's really really cheap.

I use brushes to wash dishes, not sponges. The brushes get tossed in the dishwasher when I run it.

wow the brushes are a good idea. i dont have a dishwasher though.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Silver said:
Bleach, baby. 2tsp to 20oz of water, in a spray bottle. No nasty overly perfumed smell that way, and it's really really cheap.

I use brushes to wash dishes, not sponges. The brushes get tossed in the dishwasher when I run it.
Oh I use a brush to wash the dishes too! AND I put it in the dishwasher to clean it...do this...get TWO brushes...one to wash, one to use! :D Works out just dandy and you ALWAYS have a clean brush to scrub the pots and pans with!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
biggins said:
wow the brushes are a good idea. i dont have a dishwasher though.
Get a dog. My pup gets to lick my plates clean that way no food ever goes into the sink. Washing the dishes is just killing doggy germs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
yah...and then he can make a compost outta the dog poo for his vegetable garden! Talk about giving back to the earth and being resourceful! :D
I certainly do not have to fertilize my lawn.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
dh girlie said:
Did you know a dogs mouth is cleaner than a humans mouth?
Humans mouths are nasty. Dog breath is kind of bad but could you image how bad your breath would be if you only brushed your teeth once a year.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Waaa, waaa, waaa...

If there wasn't a market for this junk it wouldn't be around long.

The beauty of America is that if you want to spend your $'s on a disposable toilet brush you can... and if you want to wipe yer butt with twigs and leaves... well.. you can do that too...

J

JRB

Ciaran said:
1) Get some guns... lot's of guns.
2) Get a good slogan. People need a slogan to get behind.
3) You'll need a black beret. No revolutionary outfit is complete without one. (You may trade up to a military style cap if your coup is successful)
4) Find a mistress. After your assasination you'll need someone to tell your tearful story of how you were really a deep loving revolutionary.
5) Start calling everyone "infidel". They're all evil capitalist dogs!
6) Start calling me El General, and send me all your money. I shall set you free from the oppressor.

Yes you too can be a successful revolutionary!
Best post ever!!!!! :thumb: mad props, bro.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Echo said:
The reason toothpaste and stuff like that comes in a box is so it can be stacked.
Good gravy, how in the h3ll can we live if our toothpaste isn't stacked in box shaped order.

Oh the humanity....

:nopity:

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
loco said:
Best post ever!!!!! :thumb: mad props, bro.
Thank you... thankyouverymuch. I'll be here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitress on the way out, but please, pick her back up. :D

I Are Baboon said:
I get annoyed when I walk into the mens room and see paper towels wrapped around the urinal flusher, the faucet knobs, and the door handle. WTF?? People think this is going to prevent them from catching germs? Damn germophobes.
Because you only put your hand on a wet flusher handle once. It's nasty. And what liquid is it really wet with? I hope it's water.
I work in a hospital, germs are everywhere! I use the gel alcohol hand sanitizer stuff. Flu season around here sucks. Old people sneezing and coughing everywhere. ACK!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
profro said:
Here are some of my favorites:

Why is toothpaste, which comes in a self containing tube, sold in another box?

Why are such meals in a bag, like Zataran's, come in a bag inside a BOX?

Almost every car on the planet uses about 5 quarts of oil, why do they continue to sell indivdual quart containers? Why not offer the 5 quart jug more often?
the first two are because they stack better on the shelf and that is part of the marketing.

the last one is easy. half the cars leak oil and you need to keep a couple of quarts in the back seat so you can top off the engine every few weeks.

HIPPIES, GET OUT!!!!

Get with the program, start consuming mass quantities of everything. start skidding on the trails and riding over new growth. Take the long way home in your car, to burn more fuel, don't recycle.....

your fighting a loosing battle. until it becomes profitable to 'save the earth', we as humans will continue to 'destroy it'.

the only solution is to get the human race out of this place......(destroy.all)

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Echo said:
The reason toothpaste and stuff like that comes in a box is so it can be stacked.

They could start making rectangular toofpaste tubes...then they wouldn't need boxes and they could still stack it!

I'm pretty stoked that they came out with boxes of sugar that are like milk cartons...so much easier to store. and if you're baking something it pours much better'n it does from a bag.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
profro said:
Good gravy, how in the h3ll can we live if our toothpaste isn't stacked in box shaped order.

Oh the humanity....

:nopity:
I think it's more about how a grocery store needs to keep 100 tubes each of 30 different types of toothpaste somewhat organized. Not to mention ease of inventory and ease of shipping.

It would be great if products used less packaging, and there are lots of situations where less packaging or more intelligent packaging could be used... but I don't think toothpaste is very high on the list :p

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Echo said:
I think it's more about how a grocery store needs to keep 100 tubes each of 30 different types of toothpaste somewhat organized. Not to mention ease of inventory and ease of shipping.

It would be great if products used less packaging, and there are lots of situations where less packaging or more intelligent packaging could be used... but I don't think toothpaste is very high on the list :p
Get rid of the tube. Square cardboard toothpaste thingies are the wave of the future!

Speaking of packaging, sometimes it's needed. OB tampons come to mind there...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a friend who has a dog. All dogs lick thier asses. She lets her dog lick her mouth. Yet when she cuts up chicken or does anything in the kitchen she goes through a strange and elaborate process of cleaning. I went camping with her last year and she had to drive to town to use a hotel bathroom instead of the outhouse. Yet she lets the dog who licks his ass kiss her on the mouth. Go figure.....jdcamb

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
Echo said:
That and so the customer can see that the package is sealed when they buy it. Having a tube of something that you are going to put in your mouth that has no seal on it would probably not be very appealing to most. I wouldn't be at all suprised if there are laws about consumer product containers being sealed. You could do one of those plastic neck seals like on a Snapple bottle, but I'd rather have a carboard box that will break down in the environment. Stupid waste? Yes. Necessary in some strange way? Probably.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Lex said:
That and so the customer can see that the package is sealed when they buy it. Having a tube of something that you are going to put in your mouth that has no seal on it would probably not be very appealing to most. I wouldn't be at all suprised if there are laws about consumer product containers being sealed. You could do one of those plastic neck seals like on a Snapple bottle, but I'd rather have a carboard box that will break down in the environment. Stupid waste? Yes. Necessary in some strange way? Probably.
What about a bottled drinks, milk, juice, etc.? It goes in your mouth and has the same basic operation... twist off the cap and put it in your mouth. They aren't in boxes. :rolleyes:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jdcamb said:
I have a friend who has a dog. All dogs lick thier asses. She lets her dog lick her mouth. Yet when she cuts up chicken or does anything in the kitchen she goes through a strange and elaborate process of cleaning. I went camping with her last year and she had to drive to town to use a hotel bathroom instead of the outhouse. Yet she lets the dog who licks his ass kiss her on the mouth. Go figure.....jdcamb
Does she lick asses?

Lex

Monkey
Dec 6, 2001
Massachusetts
profro said:
What about a bottled drinks, milk, juice, etc.? It goes in your mouth and has the same basic operation... twist off the cap and put it in your mouth. They aren't in boxes. :rolleyes:
I'm pretty sure if you go and look they all have some sort of sealing device. Milk has the little pull tab around the lower edge of the pop off cap, and juice generally has some sort of neck ring that needs to be broken to get the bottle open. Also, these sorts of containers are usually vacuum sealed as well. If you went to drink a Snapple and it didn't make the popping noise as the vacuum was released you would know right away that it had been tampered with.

The point I was making with my original post was that you could have some sort or plastic seal over the cap to eliminate the need for the box. Would you rather have another piece of plastic out there or a cardboard box that can at least be recycled?

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Consumer products are just the tip of the iceberg. You know where all the toxins from high tech manufacturing go? There was a radio spot about it on NPR yesterday. It's expensive to deal with in this country so big tech companies simply put it in barrels and sell it overseas to "recyclers". Ya know who these "recyclers" are? This is no joke:

Somali warlords. They get paid bank and then they stack the barrels up near the beach somewhere until a tsunami hits and just washes it out to sea. Awesome!

Or in other African companies these "recyclers" are tearing apart the computers and cooking the chips to get trace gold out. This creates massive amounts of new toxins that they simply dump into the village water ways.

This **** just goes on and on.

I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with this country. Corporate greed is destroying everything - we just don't see it because we are insulated from this crap and don't ever have to see it firsthand. I'm just glad I'm living now and am not one of the unfortunate members of future generations that are going to inherit this crap when the **** really hits the fan.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Oh I forgot - a lot of people pay to have their computers recycled because they are trying to do the consciensous thing and then the companies just ship them off to Africa for another go around in the ****-up-the-world endless cycle. That's right, we are actually being decieved into this **** and paying to make the world even worse just to line the pockets of a few greedy ****s even more!

I'd like to see all of corporate America in jail :(

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Ridemonkey said:
Oh I forgot - a lot of people pay to have their computers recycled because they are trying to do the consciensous thing and then the companies just ship them off to Africa for another go around in the ****-up-the-world endless cycle. That's right, we are actually being decieved into this **** and paying to make the world even worse just to line the pockets of a few greedy ****s even more!

I'd like to see all of corporate America in jail :(
Time to bust out my favorite Larry Summers quote (current president of Harvard) from when he was chief economist at the world bank:

"The measurements of the costs of health impairing pollution depends on the foregone earnings from increased morbidity and mortality. From this point of view a given amount of health impairing pollution should be done in the country with the lowest cost, which will be the country with the lowest wages. I think the economic logic behind dumping a load of toxic waste in the lowest wage country is impeccable and we should face up to that."

Here is the translation from economist-speak:

"Poor people don't produce as much. Therefore, in order to maximize production, we should dump waste in poor countries because if they get sick we don't have to pay for expensive treatment and if they die we don't lose as much productivity."

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Silver said:
Time to bust out my favorite Larry Summers quote (current president of Harvard) from when he was chief economist at the world bank:

"The measurements of the costs of health impairing pollution depends on the foregone earnings from increased morbidity and mortality. From this point of view a given amount of health impairing pollution should be done in the country with the lowest cost, which will be the country with the lowest wages. I think the economic logic behind dumping a load of toxic waste in the lowest wage country is impeccable and we should face up to that."

Here is the translation from economist-speak:

"Poor people don't produce as much. Therefore, in order to maximize production, we should dump waste in poor countries because if they get sick we don't have to pay for expensive treatment and if they die we don't lose as much productivity."
That is a very sobering thought.

schweino1

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
OK... that's it....

you guys have to STOP calling "America" to the United States..... why do you keep doing that.....?

america is the name of the continent... you are just another part of it.... deal with it..

now, back to topic

It seems like all this "disposable stuff" fever is increasing mostly in the united states and other "rich" countries.... the main reason for that is tha it will save the user the work of cleaning the reusable stuff.... of course in a long term is more expensive to use disposable, but it doesnt seem to be an inoirtant factor when adquisition power of the consumers is high....

and it does piss me off as well to see everybody just dumping everything to the garbage.... that a material is recyclable doesnt justify using it the first time....

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
profro said:
Here are some of my favorites:

Why is toothpaste, which comes in a self containing tube, sold in another box?
Because it's really hard to stack toothpaste tubes efficiently on a grocery shelf. :rolleyes:

Why are such meals in a bag, like Zataran's, come in a bag inside a BOX?
See above.

Almost every car on the planet uses about 5 quarts of oil, why do they continue to sell indivdual quart containers? Why not offer the 5 quart jug more often?
Because it's a pain in the ass to carry a 5-quart jug of oil in your car to fill up with 1/2 quart every 3000 miles.

Geez, guys. This is not that hard to figure out.....

-S.S.-