What the **** is wrong with people?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Three dead in louisiana campus shooting-2 hours ago

Shooting in city hall kills 5 -6 hours ago

Last week some moron shot up a bunch of fat chicks at a Lane Bryant

What the **** is wrong with people? You can talk about gun control but there have been a lot of guns in this country for a very long time and **** like this hasn't been happening regularly. I can't help but to think it all comes down to the way people can not take responsibility for their own ****ty lives and think they need to punish other people for their own douchey lives.

Oct 2, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I think part of the reason is the media. There has been a long standing media rule/policy where if someone commits suicide they don't give it any media attention. That way people who are thinking of commiting suicide know that there won't be any news stories about it. After Columbine people realized that if they kill other people with them then they will get the media attention they desire. So now every clown that hates thier life and wants to make a statement, plans some crap like this where whey take as many people with them as they can so their family knows how f'ed up thier life was.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You can talk about gun control but there have been a lot of guns in this country for a very long time and **** like this hasn't been happening regularly.
Depends on where you live, but yeah, sh1t is getting bad.

Just today, locally:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/08/MN5KUV15K.DTL&tsp=1
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/02/08/MN5KUV25M.DTL

Oakland sucks. The new Brooklyn style hipsters that have moved there in the last few years can fvcking have it.
http://www.sfgate.com/oaklandhomicides/interactives/map

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I can TOTALLY see that happening at City Hall here. Luckily I'm in a separate secret City Hall building.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
I was tinking the same thing.

From our friends across the pond with jacked up grills:

Friday's college shooting (Talking about the shooting in Baton Rouge) is the latest in a spate of gun-related killings in the US.

In California on Thursday, a man suspected of murdering three family members shot dead a Los Angeles police officer and wounded another, before himself being killed after a 12-hour siege.

On the same day, a gunman burst into a Missouri council meeting and opened fire, killing five people before being shot dead by police.

Also on Thursday, a gunman shot and injured his estranged wife in front of her students at an Ohio school before fleeing the scene and later shooting himself after a stand-off with police.

An estimated 80 people die of gunshot wounds each day across the US, according to reports.

Mass killings such as last year's Virginia Tech attacks and the 1999 Columbine High School massacre have sparked a fierce debate about gun-licence laws in the US. [BBC]

80 people a day? godamn!!!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
I was tinking the same thing.

From our friends across the pond with jacked up grills:

Friday's college shooting (Talking about the shooting in Baton Rouge) is the latest in a spate of gun-related killings in the US.

In California on Thursday, a man suspected of murdering three family members shot dead a Los Angeles police officer and wounded another, before himself being killed after a 12-hour siege.

On the same day, a gunman burst into a Missouri council meeting and opened fire, killing five people before being shot dead by police.

Also on Thursday, a gunman shot and injured his estranged wife in front of her students at an Ohio school before fleeing the scene and later shooting himself after a stand-off with police.

An estimated 80 people die of gunshot wounds each day across the US, according to reports.

Mass killings such as last year's Virginia Tech attacks and the 1999 Columbine High School massacre have sparked a fierce debate about gun-licence laws in the US. [BBC]

80 people a day? godamn!!!
..our little hamlet here in La has 30-40 peeps a year killed. That's some a month!

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
heart disease
cancer
swimming pools
car accidents

guns have their work cut out for them.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I was born and spent the first 19 years of my life in Turlock. I know suck when I see it. :busted:
Sweet Jesus. I spent just 10 weeks in Fresno, and by week 3 I had to have a nightly talk-down with myself to remove the shotgun from my chin.

You're a stronger man than I.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My dad taught at CSU Stanislaus, lucky me. To think he started at Berkley (4 years) and UC Davis (6 years) before I was born.

I did learn where NOT to live, that's for sure. I don't even like to visit.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
When I go nuts in a mall, it's just going to be with an aluminum bat.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Since so much of America seems so convinced gun control will never work, I suggest you get bullet control in and sorted before they can get their act together.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
how 'bout mandatory suicide vests? i mean, if you're really serious about taking someone out, be committed.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
:rofl:

"I'm gonna shoot your ass...if I could afford it. I got some bullets on layaway.."
"Man, if bullets cost $5,000 a piece, you know there'd never be such a thing as an innocent bystander. 'Oh damn, he must've done something to deserve that!'"

If people are going to go on mass killing sprees, why do they have to do it at colleges and universities? Do it at your local Dollar General or drug hangout. Don't mess with smart kids...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What I really don't understand is the how ****ed up peoples perception of personal safety is.

We will bankrupt our country fighting foreign wars, sacrificing the lives and health of those in the military to save American lives from terrorism. We will surrender personal freedoms but when it comes to gun control (hand gun control specifically) the country refuses to budge.

We refuse to make reforms that cost little to no money, will cost no lives or limbs, that stand well within the constitution (I refer to NY state gun laws), not to mention largely supported by people who don't even own handguns? Statistically if an incident like 9-11 happened every few years the average person would still be more likely to be killed by another american with a gun.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
What I really don't understand is the how ****ed up peoples perception of personal safety is.

Statistically if an incident like 9-11 happened every few years the average person would still be more likely to be killed by another american with a gun.
and yet we'd need a 9/11 every month to catch up to being killed by an american by a car, and while not intentional, it is almost always negligent.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
and yet we'd need a 9/11 every month to catch up to being killed by an american by a car, and while not intentional, it is almost always negligent.
Although I would say they are too lax there are a million laws on the books to regulate highway safety and almost every person in the US uses the highways on a regular basis. Only about 25% of people even own handguns and my guess would be, like mine, the large majority of them just sit there collecting dust.

Take away the roads and the country shuts down. Regulate handguns and a few whack jobs add a layer of tin foil to there hats because their name is now on a federal list.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
a friend of mine's wife just got denied a low-level security clearance b/c she took anti-anxiety meds for a couple months many years ago, yet this clown - if i predict correctly - was not carefully audited for the possession of or access to deadly weapons.

but i see the priority: we can't let someone have access to lockheed martin project proposals in case she meets a cute guy who works for northrop grumman.

edit: hey look: women in combat is a related thread.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Cars enable commerce, communication, and general human well-being by enabling transport. What do guns do?
in central america, pretty much the same thing.

what if we took cues from israel & raze the homes of the perpetrators surviving family? i bet that might actually start an uptick in these incidents.