Quantcast

What the **** is wrong with people?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What the **** is wrong with people? You can talk about gun control but there have been a lot of guns in this country for a very long time and **** like this hasn't been happening regularly. I can't help but to think it all comes down to the way people can not take responsibility for their own ****ty lives and think they need to punish other people for their own douchey lives.
And the beat goes on in Illinois...

I personally think it's due, in a perverse way, to a LACK of violence in our society. People grow up in a very sanitized environment and never tend to see real physical consequences to actions. We also tend to lack any sort of real physical power over our world--we're awash in a modern universe controlled by abstracts and mental constructs with seeming life of their own. Couple this with a tendency to consider violence to be a ghastly, alien thing, rather than an inherent part of our human nature, and you've got alienated individuals who see violence as their particular mark and right--and with a cultural pattern of mass violence in reaction to feelings of alienation--and blammo, school shootings.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
And the beat goes on in Illinois...

I personally think it's due, in a perverse way, to a LACK of violence in our society. People grow up in a very sanitized environment and never tend to see real physical consequences to actions. We also tend to lack any sort of real physical power over our world--we're awash in a modern universe controlled by abstracts and mental constructs with seeming life of their own. Couple this with a tendency to consider violence to be a ghastly, alien thing, rather than an inherent part of our human nature, and you've got alienated individuals who see violence as their particular mark and right--and with a cultural pattern of mass violence in reaction to feelings of alienation--and blammo, school shootings.

Good point. I never thought much of speeding until I saw a dog get splattered in front of my house.

In the same line of thought during WWII they showed images of dead soldiers to strengthen the reserve of the people back home. These days we are shielded not only from the results of war but from the reasons we say we fight them.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The first dead Americans shown in WWII were Robert Capa's D-Day photos...

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Thought I'd mention here, just for the sake of information, that Illinois actually has some of the tougher gun restrictions around compared to other states. For instance, there is no such thing as a "concealed weapons" permit.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
it was nearly 1 AM, though, and I was trying to stay awake waiting for some friends to arrive. Mea Culpa.
i hate when i'm the first; then it's all "hey man, would you mind running the camera?"

everyone's an artist.