Quantcast

..what the piss am i getting myself into..my intro..

synister370

Chimp
Jul 23, 2008
pittsburgh
Here my intro to this world..

name spangler
from Pittsburgh pa
age 27 old...
previous bmx dirt jumper push trails rip

wife and i went camping up in the mountains the other weekend..Headed to seven springs to hang out for the day. seen they had this new downhill mountain bike set up..and i was impressed looked fun..

Made are way up top the top was watching guys blast down it..was off to the side hanging out..Started bsing with some guys....they where dicks at first..and one guy kept on telling go for it use my bike...i know what he was getting at i use to do it all the time to people (we need a laugh watch this dude eat it)

so what the hell snagged the dudes bike it was a jamis komodo..had some nice upgrades..

got a feel for the bike...front suspension..odd new to this oh well later..off i went took a good hundred feet got a feel for the bike and frame..off the brake..started blasting the berms hitting the jumps...mountain bike lil bigger than the 20 inch ive been used to riding....

any ways it was a lot of fun..came back up...handed the bike to the dude and smiled...he said sorry dude we thought i know i was going to eat ****....talking to the guys for awhile and got convinced to do some research and get back into the game...

so made some calls did some did some research looked at some bikes...tested out some different frames..and found i really liked the jamis komodo that i rode...

talked to some old buddies that had some connections and some hookups..wouldn’t you know ill be takeing hold of a new jamis komodo today after work....yeah i know there are differnt frames out there that are better...so people say but i tried a bunch and i really liked the feel for this one....gonna ditch alot of the **** on it...its a complete bike....so ill remove and add **** that i need as time goes...that three ring crap up front got to go..front brake what the hell is that for? the only thing i will need to get use to is the front suspension crap...im prob gonna have to upgrade the forks to a jumper fork..its the 01 komodo...but im not gonna complain..i know ill have to update some **** on it..ill learn as i go

so last night i broke out the old ames eagle shovel...been awhile walked down over the hill to the woods and started building a set of dubs...its been awhile
funny to see a set of 10 foot dubs look intimidating...

so wanted to say hi to everyone..ill be asking stupid question about parts to upgrade the whip with...i know it will be stripped as much as possible to make to feel like my bmx..

anyone in the pittsburgh area?

Last edited:

jsh191

Monkey
Nov 16, 2006
birdsboro, pa
good to hear you're "back in the game", even if it's not the same game you're used to. another rider is always welcome...

used to be in the 'burgh area, but i moved to the east side (near philly)... will probably make the trip out to seven springs again. not the greatest mountain (yet), but definitely a fun weekend trip.

once again... welcome.

synister370

Chimp
Jul 23, 2008
pittsburgh
good to hear you're "back in the game", even if it's not the same game you're used to. another rider is always welcome...

used to be in the 'burgh area, but i moved to the east side (near philly)... will probably make the trip out to seven springs again. not the greatest mountain (yet), but definitely a fun weekend trip.

once again... welcome.

word

i dunno see alot of the same style dirt jumping on these 26 inch bitches...so ill stick what i know...dig build ....look at it click the brake say F it and pedel..

if i see the front side going towards the back side huck off..if not be a man and stay in it..

this biggest thing that gonna be odd for me and jumping with suspension..

Last edited:

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
hahah yeah i suck at spelling and grammer 10 things going on at work.............and typing this.....no time for spelling is over rated..

so is the jamis komodo and ok frame??
If you have trouble spelling use Firefox which will has spell check. Cutting down on cursing and ...... helps too. Having English as my second language I have my own troubles but a well put together post will get you better responses on Ridemonkey.

Welcome :monkey:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Here my intro to this world..

name spangler
from Pittsburgh pa
age 27 old...
previous bmx dirt jumper push trails rip
'Sup?!

The Jamis is a good starter 26er. You'll have fun, stuff'll break (after a good hard thrashing of course), you'll upgrade. It's a perfect circle.

As for the mon-kay...here's you're daily dose of asshattery mixed with a little douchebaggery...

synister370

Chimp
Jul 23, 2008
pittsburgh
'Sup?!

The Jamis is a good starter 26er. You'll have fun, stuff'll break (after a good hard thrashing of course), you'll upgrade. It's a perfect circle.

As for the mon-kay...here's you're daily dose of asshattery mixed with a little douchebaggery...

i figured as much just wanted to be assured on the frame...im use to riding cromoly and broke many of them..

this alumn stuff is a lil scary to me...

knittingfiend

Monkey
Jun 13, 2008
A tick north of Seattle
word

this biggest thing that gonna be odd for me and jumping with suspension..
Now, I'm not now, nor ever been a BMX'er....but my husband was, for years!! He transitioned to mountain bikes, years ago, and got into large DH bikes/riding (Kona Stab Primo type of bike). He did some BIG a$$ jumps on that thing, man!! Always respectful of the 20"'er's but he would be in there on the same d/j he used to ride. Tons of fun!! You'll have the hang of it in no time!!

OH, and good luck here.......(it can be kind of a tough crowd!)

Last edited:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
this alumn stuff is a lil scary to me...
Welcome to the most wonderful place on the internet.

Look into an additional cromo 26" dirt jumping bike. Cheap and durable.

Save the Jamis for general trail riding. (and save yourself the inevitable trip to the dentist when the frame snaps from too much abuse)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Mountain-biking is like rubbing one out, you've just started something you can't stop.

Welcome to RM, the only place on the net where multiple concussions are not an excuse for poor spelling and grammar.

Ride fast, take chances !

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Welcome to the board. :)

Um... I tried to read your post, but just couldn't make it through to the end. I had to stop reading after I re-read a couple sentences and they still made no sense to me. I have a very low grammar and syntax pain threshold, but I've always been a pedantic geek that way. (No, BurlyShirly, that's not a reference to an inappropriate affection for children.)

But it's cool that you and your wife go camping and biking!
:cheers: