Quantcast

What tires for 24" (thickish sidewalls..)

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
So Ive been rolling on halo twin rails, and I love em for djs but Im in Boston now and teh thin sidewalls have been proving hazardous to my tubes even at 50 psi. I also would like to be able to run a little lower (ie 35-40 psi) without worrying about flats so I can hook up a little better for fuf's. So Im asking for recomendations, help me out here...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
those specialized tires (compound, rhythm) seem to have a very bomb-proof sidewall. I never had any issues when I was running them.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Kenda Kiniption is a nice ingredient.

Possibly DMR Transition, or even heavier, the Nokian XXX (never tried them though so I can't necessarily recommend. Their weight alone kept me away.)

Tioga FS100's are where it's at for me though.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
the DMR trani would be a good bet for you. don't know about running such low pressure though, doing fuf's with 35PSI=pinch flat/flat spot IMO unless you are running some sort of trials set up. i have no problems with doing fuf's/abu's with the trani running 85PSI. i'm sure you could run 55-65 and be happy.

gackrider24

Monkey
Jun 4, 2007
NJ
go for arrow racing launch 2.35 tires they have a nice knobby profile that is great for street and dirt jumps although they are not the lightest they are tough as hell. I hardly ever check my tire pressure and i have yet to pop a tire after street,dj, and even dh riding. I have been running the same walmart tube for 4 or 5 months now. they are available in 24, 26, and in 62 or 47 durometer. I have the 62's and they grip everything.

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
seems like everyone has a story about every tire.

for me, personaly, arrow launch tires failed more then once. split at the seams, torn side walls + and more. always ran them at 60psi+.

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
was running tioga fs100s but ran through a pile of thorns and still have to pick all of them out. so i switched back to my hookworms which are great just a tad heavy. but i havent ever gotten a flat on them.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I can recommend against k-rads, if that helps. I just tore the bead off one a few weeks ago.
word, i had one on my 20" and tore part of the tire in half after only riding it for 1-2 weeks. cheapsauce, although i was riding it about 15-20psi over the rating. who cares, street riding=high pressure. :busted:

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC
I must have had a strange model of Krads. I've had mine for over a year now. Riding street, park, and DJ's. I ride nearly everyday too. I'm finally replacing them becuase my local jumps seem to be getting sandier so I keep washing out on the landings. They do make a Holyroller in a 24' too (2.2 I believe).

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
Why the thick sidewalls? Just run 65 PSI in the Schwalbe Tabletop tires and save yourself a lot of weight. They weigh in at 550 grams each for the 24's. Best street/DJ tires IMO.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Why the thick sidewalls? Just run 65 PSI in the Schwalbe Tabletop tires and save yourself a lot of weight. They weigh in at 550 grams each for the 24's. Best street/DJ tires IMO.
word, I only run one up front though so it doesn't see much pinch flattable riding. Mine also weighed 475g on the scale! says "510g" right on the package, 550g rating is for the 26".

I've also ran 1.85 Holy Rollers before, and even they weren't as light as the 2.25 table.

You could also check into the Primo 24 Dirt-Monsters, they are actually more of a cruiser tire, but much wider than most so they should work great. I used to run one up front on my 20" too....

Urinal Mint

Monkey
Oct 10, 2003
Washington
word, I only run one up front though so it doesn't see much pinch flattable riding. Mine also weighed 475g on the scale! says "510g" right on the package, 550g rating is for the 26".

I've also ran 1.85 Holy Rollers before, and even they weren't as light as the 2.25 table.

You could also check into the Primo 24 Dirt-Monsters, they are actually more of a cruiser tire, but much wider than most so they should work great. I used to run one up front on my 20" too....
26" tabletops are 590 grams...according to the box.

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
26" tabletops are 590 grams...according to the box.
haha, interesting. I wonder where the "550" number you always see and hear came from then??? some website bunkjive or something...

hey, dexter, I've got an extra FS100, but only thing is I'm in Japan atm and won't be back in the states for another couple of months. If I were you I'd check into the Skidrow instead, should be more plentiful in the times to come I would hope. ;)

Aug 22, 2004
FEAR ME ^
the DMR trani would be a good bet for you. don't know about running such low pressure though, doing fuf's with 35PSI=pinch flat/flat spot IMO unless you are running some sort of trials set up. i have no problems with doing fuf's/abu's with the trani running 85PSI. i'm sure you could run 55-65 and be happy.
Well heres the thing is Ive just moved to boston and am new teh teh urban scene more or less and would like to be able to stick to stuff a little better, not something halo twin-rails with 55psi do well. I really need to learn fufs more than just get better at them, I figure if I can get them down with an easier setup then I can move to a more street specific setup.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Well heres the thing is Ive just moved to boston and am new teh teh urban scene more or less and would like to be able to stick to stuff a little better, not something halo twin-rails with 55psi do well. I really need to learn fufs more than just get better at them, I figure if I can get them down with an easier setup then I can move to a more street specific setup.
i feel ya. i'm still saying go for a trani or hookworm. i run a 26" trani and 20" hookworm. the trani will be lighter then the hookworm in 24", for some reason the 20" hookworm isn't super heavy compared to other 20" tires where as the 24/26" version is compared to others of the same size(hope that makes since). just be careful with the low psi and make sure your rim can take it. also maybe run a thicker tube in back as well just for safety while learning. have fun.