Quantcast

what tires for fontucky?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
hey guys im gonna be doin the fontucky race on feb 10th. i was wonderin what tires would be best? keep in mind im from jersey and never ridin in so cal.

i have the following to choose from in the garage:
1 mich 16 (2.5)
3 mich 24's (2.5)
2 higher rollers (2.5)
2 maxxis swamp things (2.5)

thanks!!

BORN FREE

Chimp
Jan 25, 2008
all you tires would work good. but if you use the comp 16 put it in the front. but for the usual conditions in fontucky, the swamp thins probably arent gunna cut it, maybe if its wet

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
full trucker, thanks for the advice i was gonna put blue slicks on.

the reason why im askin is because im not gonna have room to bring extra tires on the plane. the bike is gonna weigh enough as it is.

as for the swamp things, i ride those all the time and make them work. so im just askin for advice on people that actually race there.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
lol dirt, dont worry im comin back to race all the northeast races this summer.

i might go with 2 higher rollers, and if i have the room ill stuff the 16 in there some where.

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
any of those would work descently... depends on the track they use...

mud tires are a waste of time at fontana... even in the rain. the ground soakes it all up pretty well. even after our downpour this saturday night, i only recall 1 mud puddle on track.

anyway, even if they worked a tad better on the upper section... as soon as you hit the "wall" section.. the mud tires will kill you....slows you down so much... kinda feels like an anchor.

on some tracks, guys have run semi slicks in the back (Kovarik won the first race w/ a semi slick). High Roller style patterns are pretty popular here

BORN FREE

Chimp
Jan 25, 2008
any of those would work descently... depends on the track they use...

mud tires are a waste of time at fontana... even in the rain. the ground soakes it all up pretty well. even after our downpour this saturday night, i only recall 1 mud puddle on track.

anyway, even if they worked a tad better on the upper section... as soon as you hit the "wall" section.. the mud tires will kill you....slows you down so much... kinda feels like an anchor.

on some tracks, guys have run semi slicks in the back (Kovarik won the first race w/ a semi slick). High Roller style patterns are pretty popular here
i remember at the norba at fontana last year rennie tried a run with a semi slick in the front as well in the back! but he changed it back right after

if you know your DH24's breaking point on hardpack well, that is an awesome rear tire for hardpack DG... i've experimented with it on the front and it washed out too easily... the DH32 has been the best front tire i've run down here and the 24 the best rear.
at the next race, i'll be running that combo for sure...

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Any of those tires will work fine except the Swampthing.
Fontana is all a thin layer of loose over hardpack, with flat, deep sand corners. And all the east coast riders who've migrated over here say; compared to home, there is no such thing as traction out here. You'll adjust after a few runs.
I run DHF 2.5 front and rear. Most common set ups are that, DHF front Highroller rear, and Highroller F and R. Oh and Intense tires......