Quantcast

What tires to choose for a big guy?

151Racing

Chimp
Mar 19, 2012
Fightertown USA
Hey all,

I'm new to the forum but have been reading up for a while and have not been able to find what i'm looking for using the search function. Anyways down to my question... Im looking for a new rear tire. My current tire is a Bontrager Select K B and is fairly flattened out in the center with about 1500 miles on it. I've had a handfull of flats on it and would like to try something new.

Now for the fun part! I'm about 300 lbs :eek:...yep big I know lol, I purchased a set of Mavick CXP22's that i'm inlove with :thumb: last spring and am not worried about weight at all. So im not looking for anything lightweight, just a solid dependable tire thats puncture resistant more than anything.

I've seen Bontrager Hardcase's, Continental Hardshell + Gatorskin's and they look good, what else is there? I'd like something for <$50 hopefully, and have a Performance Bike nearby.

Thanks!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm not a big guy, but big guys could benefit from slightly wider tires... 23, 25, etc.

For long wearing tires with puncture protection, I've had good luck w/ Continental Ultra Race and Hutchinson Intensive Hardskin:
http://www.hutchinsontires.com/en/catalogue-route.php?fiche=intensive.php&univers=4&pid=7

Also, be sure to check your tire pressure regularly - under-inflation can lead to increased wear.

Also, see what the guys at the shop recommend. There might be some local favorites.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There are some newer road tires on the market designed for urban riding that have thicker thread and casings to better stand up to lots of fixie skids and typical crap in the road. You might look into those.

151Racing

Chimp
Mar 19, 2012
Fightertown USA
hmmm thanks, ill be heading down to the bike shop later so ill be sure to get some opinions down there. Ive heard decent things actually about the vittoria zaffiro. yea i know they come in colors and are a cheaper tire, but have been told they hold up great for their price of around $15.