Quantcast

What to buy: D300 or D90

meathooker

Chimp
May 1, 2008
idaho
of course family stuff; the kid and what not.

but i also want to get shots of mtb'ing (urban, dh, dj) and snowmobiling.

i am liking the d90 for the video; but the FPS for the D300 is a draw too...

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Sensor is basically a wash, so it comes down to the video vs. the fps and the cost.

Without knowing much else, I'd probably push you toward the D90.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
+ build quality & mirror lockup. Those two would still push me towards the D300 but if you don't need mirror lockup (important for macro photography) and the build quality is only a "nice to have" vs. a need, consider what the difference in money will buy you.

If it's the difference between a decent lens with the D90 or a crap lens with the D300, it's D90 all the way.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the temptation to pick up a D300 for 1500 at circuit city last week was great.......but my camera is a paper weight...so i passed.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's straight up stupid...dammit.
Meh. It's feature stripping at a price point. Canon has historically been far worse with it.

As a computer guy I look at that kind of stuff and thing, "well fvck, it's a stupid software routine they could copy and paste into the firmware code" but the reality is they still need to differentiate product lines.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Meh. It's feature stripping at a price point. Canon has historically been far worse with it.

As a computer guy I look at that kind of stuff and thing, "well fvck, it's a stupid software routine they could copy and paste into the firmware code" but the reality is they still need to differentiate product lines.
I was debating between a D90 and D300...this may be the deal breaker for the D90.

Can has firmware hack pls?