Quantcast

What to do about the friend without a car?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I feel like I have to drive him everywhere, or meet him at his place all the time because he cannot get to mine.

He does have a bike, although the weather has not been very nice, I have ridden to his place in the rain.

Just now, he was getting the taxes done near my house, but he was expecting me to drive him home. He wouldn't even walk a half mile here (in the rain again).

Ever deal with someone like this?

J

JRB

I'm pretty sure you should just do the raise the roof dance.

Moochers suck.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
I have a friend with no car. She's western european, and can't legally work in the US because she is on a student visa so It's not that she doesn't want to buy a car. She's also not in the best physical health so she doesn't ride her bike many places (although she will to my house).

I give her rides to school because we both have to be there early. Since she lives down the street from me i take her home as well. She's so close (like 1/2 mile away) that I feel like i shouldn't say no, so i don't. She graduates in less than a month and plans to move back to communist russia (inside joke) so I let it go. I'll miss her when she's gone.

Next time your friend wants to come over, tell him to ride his bike. start drinking as soon as he walks in the door and then when he's ready to leave, tell him you can't drive.

Seriously though, tell him you aren't driving distances under x amount of miles anymore for gas reasons, car upkeep reasons, whatever, and you would be more than happy to pick him up for a stipend but otherwise he should pedal his lazy ass around.

People without cars don't know how annoying it is to drive people without cars around all the time. Call him out on it.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
laura said:
Next time your friend wants to come over, tell him to ride his bike. start drinking as soon as he walks in the door and then when he's ready to leave, tell him you can't drive.
Best.Advice.EVAR!!!

Maybe your friend needs a fixed gear and some man capri's?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
We used to have a saying back in the 70's...

"A friend with weed was a friend indeed...

...a friend in need was a pain in the ass. Get rid of him."

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I had a co-worker 'friend' that didn't drive.
She also still lived with her parents.

We used to go to lunch together, but there would be days that I would have to do something else, and I couldn't take her with me. She would demand that I take her to go to wherever so she could pick up something to eat.

That got old really fast.

She also asked that I drive her over to a restaurant that was on the other end of the parking lot from where we worked............ instead of walking a total of a minute and a half.

sooooo lazy.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
bikenweed said:
Best.Advice.EVAR!!!

Maybe your friend needs a fixed gear and some man capri's?

I used to use that excuse not to work weekends. I'd get a call from the boss at 10:00 AM on a saturday morning asking me to go to a job. I'd just say, sorry I'm drunk, even if I could stop now wouldn't be sober for at least 8 hours.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
Westy said:
I used to use that excuse not to work weekends.

I used to use that excuse when I was in the military and had a feeling that there would be a recall (call you at an odd hour, dress up, get your gear, go to base, sit for 7 hours).

I can't be armed when I'm 'drunk'.

:thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MudGrrl said:
I used to use that excuse when I was in the military and had a feeling that there would be a recall (call you at an odd hour, dress up, get your gear, go to base, sit for 7 hours).

I can't be armed when I'm 'drunk'.

:thumb:
Nice,

I always felt I needed to backup my coments with action. Anytime my pager would go off on the weekends I'd drink a beer befor calling in.

J

JRB

You should put a blowjob for rides sign in. If it's a guy, you won't have any more issues. If it's a chick, you get blowjobs. It's win - win. Oh wait, you're in SF. Scratch that idea.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
my now ex-girlfriend doesnt own a car. she does ride a motorcycle but it isnt very reliable and spent a long time in the shop after she got hit by a car on it.

i drive all the time when we went out. I didnt really mind though cause i am afraid to ride with other people anyway.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
laura said:
I have a friend with no car. She's western european, and can't legally work in the US because she is on a student visa so It's not that she doesn't want to buy a car. She's also not in the best physical health so she doesn't ride her bike many places (although she will to my house).

I give her rides to school because we both have to be there early. Since she lives down the street from me i take her home as well. She's so close (like 1/2 mile away) that I feel like i shouldn't say no, so i don't. She graduates in less than a month and plans to move back to communist russia (inside joke) so I let it go. I'll miss her when she's gone.

Seriously though, tell him you aren't driving distances under x amount of miles anymore for gas reasons, car upkeep reasons, whatever, and you would be more than happy to pick him up for a stipend but otherwise he should pedal his lazy ass around.

People without cars don't know how annoying it is to drive people without cars around all the time. Call him out on it.
Thanks for your input. The other problem I have is my strong desire for independence, and his lack.

I believe if I did not have a car, I would ride to his house without too much issue. And most of my friends are the strong independent type as well.

I will probably mention it and see where it takes us.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
sanjuro said:
Thanks for your input. The other problem I have is my strong desire for independence, and his lack.

I believe if I did not have a car, I would ride to his house without too much issue. And most of my friends are the strong independent type as well.

I will probably mention it and see where it takes us.

is his house really 1/2 mile from yours? if thats the case, he should be able to walk in less the 7 minutes.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
the way I look at situations/people like this, it is YOU and people like you that caves in and picks him up/drives him places....being most of his friends/realatives cave in, why would he ever bother buying his own car, or ride/walk and get rained on??

stop carting his ass around!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
laura said:
is his house really 1/2 mile from yours? if thats the case, he should be able to walk in less the 7 minutes.
We used to live in the same neighborhood, so it wasn't a problem. And his tax guy is about .5 mile, which he was visiting yesterday.

Now he lives crosstown, about 5 miles and a few big SF-type hills away. I can understand not coming over every other day, but every visit revolves around me and my car.

I could easily avoid the topic by biking to his house, drinking at the wrong times, but I will have to confront him and get it over with.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Dartman said:
We used to have a saying back in the 70's...

"A friend with weed was a friend indeed...

...a friend in need was a pain in the ass. Get rid of him."
Wow, you'r THAT old? :p

I would just wave as I drove by...