Quantcast

What to do at work when the T3 is down

splat

Nam I am
I cam into work today and all our systems were off line. Our T3 to compnay HQ was down , with out that we don't have DNS , with out DNS computers no talk to one another. so we sat around and waited. and waited and waited and waited. so Around 11 Am , I decided its time to go for a MTB ride ! 2 1/2 hours later I get back ! network still down I shower eat lunch , still down finally network comes back around 3:30 , most every onehas gone home , by now, So I just make sure all my stuff is working , get the tapes ready for the weekend and go home.

and you might ask , why don't we have redundant circuits ? good question! Because Managment at HQ doesn't think it is nessecary ! so instead they had 300 People sitting on there hands all day today ! and this is the 3rd this month it has been down !

I heard there were some heads rolling down at HQ so nowwe will be getting a redundant circuit.

O well good day when I can get a 2 1/2 hour Mt bike ride on company time :thumb: only thing that sucked was I couln't get to the :monkey:

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
you couldn't use someone else's DNS server temporarily? Do you actually mean that the T3 that is/was down was your only circuit out?

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
makes no sense at all.. your comp has money for the t3 but doesnt want to spend on a redundant circut.. just run 2 load balanced t1's with redundacy and your set.. you got some fukwits running that circus..

splat

Nam I am
T3 to HQ , HQ ( multiple T3's ) to Internet

It is the DNS for all the internal Machines ! My Unix Boxes faired pretty well, because they use NIS and I keep the NIS locally, but the Windows Machines with Active directory and DHCP , were screwed ( the DHCP is servered from HQ )

it is not the slowest connection ever , but my connection at home is Much Faster! FIOS kicks Butt !

splat

Nam I am
fiddy_ryder said:
makes no sense at all.. your comp has money for the t3 but doesnt want to spend on a redundant circut.. just run 2 load balanced t1's with redundacy and your set.. you got some fukwits running that circus..
You Speak LIke you actually would expect some one listen to reason!

we have tried , but they are control freaks ( our company was bought in the spring , and the new management took over and felt they knew more than us )

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
each office should really have their own DNS server. what flavor of unix are you running. i'm an admin myself. I wonder how many other *nix admins there are on here.

splat

Nam I am
dfinn said:
each office should really have their own DNS server. what flavor of unix are you running. i'm an admin myself. I wonder how many other *nix admins there are on here.
I want My Own DNS ( actually I have one , but for our old domains , not the new corporte one we have been migrated to) , at least a Caching server , but My Boss keeps shooting me down. But corporate is a little behind , they don't run NIS ( Or NIS+ ) they sycronize Passwd files via cron :eek:

400 Solaris , 75 HP-UX ,35 Linux , 1 AIX , 1 Ultrix ,

Scarpa

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
Felton
Sounds like you have a pretty crappy service provider.

Oh and 300 people on a T3 ain't so bad. We had 2500 on a T1 here for awhile. THAT was bad.

J

JRB

I'm glad you got a ride, but I didn't miss you. :D

*actually - I spent the week on a Continuous Improvement event to speed request delivery from Receiving. 12 - 16 hour days every day. :dead: I am not used to that.

splat

Nam I am
BigMike said:
So what exactly is it that you do that you couldn't do without being able to talk to the other computers in your office?
well lets see.I'm a Unix administrator, if you the computers can't talk to one another ,
1) WinBlows Machines on DHCP could n't even log in.
2) Email , can find the email server
3) Source code server can't find that ( we make software )
4) Compilers can't find them
5) the Internet , can't surf
etc etc etc

so hence the only logical choice was to go out and have a long bike ride :thumb: