Quantcast

What to do in Portland, OR

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Apart from riding...

Headed down with the preggo-wifey and looking to check out cool Portlandy stuff, eat good Portlandy food and I'll definitely be having some good Portlandy beer.

Suggestions?

Toshi was full of good Seattle ideas a few months back. Bring 'em on!

And no, I won't be windsurfing either.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Mcmenamins. Edgefield or Kennedy School. I have particularly fond memories of the Edgefield, though going to any of them with a preggo woman might be a buzz kill. When are you going to be there? A very good friend is a manager at the Kennedy School, I might be able to arrange a hook up.

OMSI or the Rose Garden. This late in the year the rose garden might not be much to look at however.

Powells. A whole city block of books, 3 stories tall.

Breweries, its hard to miss in that town. New Old Lompoc, Alameda, Lucky Lab, Roots, etc, etc.....

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Voodoo donuts
Japanese gardens
OHSU tram if you'll be in the area
Tillamook! (as in the ice cream/cheese factory, not just the town)

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Mcmenamins. Edgefield or Kennedy School. I have particularly fond memories of the Edgefield, though going to any of them with a preggo woman might be a buzz kill. When are you going to be there? A very good friend is a manager at the Kennedy School, I might be able to arrange a hook up.

OMSI or the Rose Garden. This late in the year the rose garden might not be much to look at however.

Powells. A whole city block of books, 3 stories tall.

Breweries, its hard to miss in that town. New Old Lompoc, Alameda, Lucky Lab, Roots, etc, etc.....
I met Todd Rundgren at Powells.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
I don't even like books but I still spend 3 hrs in Powells every time I visit.

Food truck pods are pretty fun to explore.
Pine State Biscuit is worth the drive from Seattle alone.
Drink beer.
It sounds like a lame chain, but Mccormick & Schmicks treated me well last time. Good beer, ribeye, and tasty oysters.
Shop tax free. Again it sounds lame but there are several decent indy outdoor shops that have awesome deals and are tax free.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
No trip to Portland is complete without visiting one of our fine strip clubs. I like the Dolphin best but Sassy's and the Acropolis are usually worthy.

For beer I recommend the Deschutes brewery. Their pub only brews tend to be really good and the food is solid as well. Cascade Barrel House has outrageously good sour beers if you are into that sort of thing. Just across the street is the Green Dragon which has 50 beers on tap.

For food I recommend The Screen Door, Nuestra Cocina, Pok Pok and Toro Bravo. You will also want to hit up the food carts while you are here.

If your wife is able, a hike in the Gorge is worth while. You might also check out the Shanghai tunnels tour if you are looking for something different.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I don't even like books but I still spend 3 hrs in Powells every time I visit.

Food truck pods are pretty fun to explore.
Pine State Biscuit is worth the drive from Seattle alone.
Drink beer.
It sounds like a lame chain, but Mccormick & Schmicks treated me well last time. Good beer, ribeye, and tasty oysters.
Shop tax free. Again it sounds lame but there are several decent indy outdoor shops that have awesome deals and are tax free.

Mccormick & Schmicks Ginger Hoisin Skirt Steak and onion Rings FTW! Just went to the one in Pittsburg PA and it was good!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I have a hot date tomorrow here:
Shanghai Tunnel - Southwest Portland - Portland, OR

is a great place to take the wife.

In SE:
| Hopworks
or a theater like Clinton St.

Or downtown just down from Powell's are a number of brew pubs, pizza joints, and of course food cart pods (best one is on 5th and Oak).

I second Deschutes brewery, Black Butte Porter is my personal fav. But for real, as soon as you hit town, find a Willamette Week or Portland Mercury paper (both can be had in front of Powell's) and there are a million shows listed, too.

<edit> Mary's is a true Portland landmark.

Last edited:

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Actually, there is nothing to see or do here, so just keep going south until you hit Salem. See the state capital, it's awesome.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
This is all good stuff. I must spread rep apparently...

Not sure we're going to have time to really do any hiking... I made the mistake of doing a "what to do in Portland" Google search while the Mrs was peeking over my shoulder. That Saturday Market came up. Drat.

Perhaps I'll get myself a jaunty knitted cap, or some native art that I have such a weak spot for... Saturday breakfast beers for me!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Saturday Market is a blast If you are there on a good day, you can see All the Apparatus playing at Skidmore fountain. Good food there, too for sure. But get a rag like I said and look at the shows list, then decide what you feel like eating.

Fire on the Mountain is the best place for wings.

<edit> And the A-Crop is the best place in town for a steak, seriously.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm biased 'cuz it's owned by a buddy of mine but Apex Bar has all kinds of great beer.

And yeah you pretty much can't avoid the peelers in that down. Maybe it's just where my local "tour guides" take me, but it seems like there is a stage in just about every place.

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
apparently pesqueeb knows alot of ghey spots too.

not a fan of portland, or any town/city with a population over 1200ish

the only reason I ever went to portland was the VA and I never liked what I saw.

I think I have officially become a hermit in the woods
gff??

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I can't believe none of you monkeys missed the best part of all. PREGNANT WIFE=DESIGNATED DRIVER!
Depending on where you stay, Portland is small enough to pub crawl and/or use public transit. Driving in Portland is a pain in the ass and is also mostly unnecessary. And if you tried to park GFF's truck downtown, you would understand his hatred. :rofl:

Fun fact: Portland has more strip clubs (and they are all nude) per capita than any other city in the US. Coming to Portland and NOT seeing at least Mary's is like going to San Francisco and missing the Golden Gate Bridge.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
put on your skinny jeans and carhartt beanie then head downtown to sip an IPA, making sure to leave some beer foam on your moulestache. Ride into the sunset afterwards on your fixie, of course.

actually we go to Portland for Powells books and to see live music.