Quantcast

what to do when you hate your job and want to body check your boss???

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
There are only 4 colleges in the nation where you can get a degree in packaging engineering; it's a VERY small group of professionals when compared to say, oh most any other kind of engineer. There's a lot more positions than there are people to fill them. Trust me.
Well, ya'll are very good at your job, because it takes me 30 minutes and a Safari knife to get a f***ing flashlight out of the packaging it comes in.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, ya'll are very good at your job, because it takes me 30 minutes and a Safari knife to get a f***ing flashlight out of the packaging it comes in.
Flashlight != toys. Not my problem.

Also, most of the packages people have this kind of problem with are from companies that DON'T have packaging engineers. There's better ways to do it.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
is packaging engineering the same thing as packaging science? There must be a ton of money in both my school is getting another packaging science building, the current one even if its "out dated" still has better toys in it that every other engineering building on campus.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Ha, I don't fit the mold at all.
I never think about it until I have to go somewhere like continuing education,
where I am around other people that do what I do. And then I am like WTF,
these are my peers.:disgust1:
They are all monkey suited out with comb overs,
and I am dressed as casually as I can possibly get away with and have people hand me a check.:busted:
Sometimes I think my casual attitude helps me in this business though.
I mean honestly, who trusts anybody under 50 with a comb over?
Yep. I work in the graphics/creative dept. at an insurance brokerage, and every now and then, the big wigs come in from NY or somewhere. They turn a corner and see me and all the oversized mtb photos plastered everywhere. Then I stand up to greet them...6'7", 270, earrings, brewery t-shirt underneath a collared shirt....Just about makes them crap their Armani pants and piss in their wingtips every time.

My boss just laughs. It's awesome.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Very true, but even if you work as an at-will employee, very few companies resort to firing employees on a whim or for no reason. In my industry (packaging) when word of something like this happens, the company will be put on an unspoken blacklist, and will have an EXTREMELY difficult time finding someone else to fill the position. Its poor business practice that's not without repercussions.
Jesus titty ****ing christ. We are at-will and it still took me forever to legally fire the two morons I had working for me. Persistence is the key. :biggrin:

antimony

M.N.F. Beer Wench
Nov 21, 2005
North Carolina
Ok so I'm more or less completely checked out from my current job (I got in almost an hour late today and a co-worker asked me why I was so late, my response "because I don't care" - granted this person knows I'm on my way out). I'm ready to quit on a moment's notice if my boss does something to set me off. Its been nothing but garbage since I started. I've got a few strong leads on a new gig back on the east coast where I wanna be. But how the fvck do I deal with the garbage until I can put in my 2 weeks?

PS sorry if I've been more of a sarcastic a-hole than normal lately, living in LA for a year is getting to me.
I have recently started writing limericks everytime someone pisses me off. Perhaps I will publish my collection when I leave next spring and make some cash off of it. :weee:

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
we design our packages for our small products like that so little shts dont steal them from stores.....a pair or headphones is easy to walk away with

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
is packaging engineering the same thing as packaging science? There must be a ton of money in both my school is getting another packaging science building, the current one even if its "out dated" still has better toys in it that every other engineering building on campus.
Yea, they're basically the same thing, just depends on where your school has them in the hierarchy of things.

PS what school do you go to? and what "toys" are you talking about?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Shouldn't you just quit? Finding a new job is much easier without having to show up to work every day...

You sure do have a lot to learn. :think:
I guess I do have a lot to learn... about having a steady paycheck and being able to pay my bills on time :rolleyes:

FYI you can only collect unemployment if you get fired :clue:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Yep. I work in the graphics/creative dept. at an insurance brokerage, and every now and then, the big wigs come in from NY or somewhere. They turn a corner and see me and all the oversized mtb photos plastered everywhere. Then I stand up to greet them...6'7", 270, earrings, brewery t-shirt underneath a collared shirt....Just about makes them crap their Armani pants and piss in their wingtips every time.

My boss just laughs. It's awesome.

Insurance co.'s have creative depts.? Interesting. Do you mostly do brochures & stuff or ad work?

I speak the truth. Hippie.
SkaredShtles
Quote:
Originally Posted by
Hey Yuppie:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I guess I do have a lot to learn... about having a steady paycheck and being able to pay my bills on time :rolleyes:
Sooo naive... :p

You're too young to worry about a steady paycheck. WTF is WRONG with the youth today? :confused:

FYI you can only collect unemployment if you get fired :clue:
Being unemployed is worth SO much more than the pittance you might get from unemployment payments. :clue:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Sooo naive... :p

You're too young to worry about a steady paycheck. WTF is WRONG with the youth today? :confused:

Being unemployed is worth SO much more than the pittance you might get from unemployment payments. :clue:
This just confirms that you ARE the idiot I always suspected you of being.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Wait, you can appeal that??? WTF? How does that work?
I don't know the logistics, HR handled that for me. Yes you can appeal. If someone was fired for gross misconduct and you can prove it, you can appeal their unemployment. Evidently employers don't often win an appeal. Unless you've got Lawyer Laura on the case. Why oh why didn't I go to law school?

Now I have been told that this woman can appeal my appeal, and I would have to go back and testify again, so we'll see. But for now, I'm the winner.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Yea, they're basically the same thing, just depends on where your school has them in the hierarchy of things.

PS what school do you go to? and what "toys" are you talking about?
Went to Clemson.

As for toys just about everything you need to do successful drop tests, thermal testing, crash testing, High speed data, calibrated up to date accelerometers as well as proper data acquisition stations. Also people whose native language is english was a pretty big step up too.

edit: heres the lsit of the current undergrad capabilities
http://workgroups.clemson.edu/CAFLS0320_PACKAGING_SCIENCE/index.php?option=com_content&task=category&sectionid=8&id=18&Itemid=35

not mentioned on their is the indoor putting green, why its there i have no idea but badass nonetheless.

sonoco is the company building the new center.