Quantcast

what to do when you hate your job and want to body check your boss???

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Ok so I'm more or less completely checked out from my current job (I got in almost an hour late today and a co-worker asked me why I was so late, my response "because I don't care" - granted this person knows I'm on my way out). I'm ready to quit on a moment's notice if my boss does something to set me off. Its been nothing but garbage since I started. I've got a few strong leads on a new gig back on the east coast where I wanna be. But how the fvck do I deal with the garbage until I can put in my 2 weeks?

PS sorry if I've been more of a sarcastic a-hole than normal lately, living in LA for a year is getting to me.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Jesus I feel your pain. Most days I can make myself care if for nothing more than the (tiny bit) or experience I am gaining from this job. But I am seriously putting out 2-5 resumes a week and can't wait to get out of here. It's difficult because in a better situation, I would love this work. But my boss is an evil prima donna that doesn't want anyone to show her up so she has managed to shut down every innovative idea I have had thus far. She should have hired another administrative assistant. Rant off.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I have been in this situation twice before & all I did was bend over & take it while I busted my ass to get out of the situation. Both times my effort paid in huge dividends (ie: happiness & more $$$).

And don't body check el jefe, sleep with his wife or daughter or both.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Laura, my situation is really ironic. My last job in the toy industry was great (at a different company)! But when I came to my current position, it's like the cast of Sesame Street is in charge. There's muppets every here!

G-Cracker

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Tucson, beatch!
I feel your pain. At one time I liked this job but now it's an effort to roll out of bed in the morning to get here. I've got a couple leads out there and hopefully will hear back this week on one of them.

Don't have much advice to give you, though. Just don't do anything to make it even worse than it already is. :)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Laura, my situation is really ironic. My last job in the toy industry was great (at a different company)! But when I came to my current position, it's like the cast of Sesame Street is in charge. There's muppets every here!
why did you leave your last job?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
why did you leave your last job?
I was only a co-op there (Hasbro; a co-op is basically a paid intern, but with all the responsibilities of a full time employee - its a great way to get experience when you're in college). Just to clarify, I took the co-op job at Hasbro right when I graduated because I wanted/needed some more experience before I took a full time gig. I left Hasbro for a full time gig at Mattel.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Careers are a 20th century invention intended to keep us chained to a system of consumerism. They are more of a liability than an asset.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I want to work for a toy company. It makes me sad to think that working at one would be un-fun.
That makes 2 of us being sad. But its only the company I work for now. Hasbro was awesome!

i hear security at toy companies is sorta like airport security is this true jonkranked?
Not quite as tight, but a lot tighter than you think. The whole MGA/Mattel (Bratz/Barbie) case is a perfect example of what happens when sh*t goes wrong.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
id say get a recommendation first, then body check your boss. working for the company you are working for now can never hurt on your resume....unless you body check your boss.
but to answer your question.....just hope they dont monitor what you do online

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
but to answer your question.....just hope they dont monitor what you do online
haha not a chance. Most of the management here can barely grasp the concept of email.

oh and FWIW - a recommendation from any of my bosses would do more harm to my career than good... not of any doing of my own, its just that my bosses ... well, they'd be good candidates for a Darwin Award.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I want to work for a toy company. It makes me sad to think that working at one would be un-fun.
No doubt.
It would be like being an elf.
The guy puts toys into boxes for kids for Gods Sakes,
and he lives on the beach.
Come tell fat people that are too unhealthy to get health insurance all day, and I'll bet you will quit complaining.:busted:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
No doubt.
It would be like being an elf.
The guy puts toys into boxes for kids for Gods Sakes,
and he lives on the beach.
Come tell fat people that are too unhealthy to get health insurance all day, and I'll bet you will quit complaining.:busted:
I don't put the toys in the box, I just design the box. Literally.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
What on earth do you do for a living? Are you in HR?
Nope, insurance broker.
I help self-employed individuals and families get health insurance.
And when they get declined, I get to tell them why.
Its bad enough when it is a small health condition,
but sometimes its simply because they are fat.
Always a fun conversation.
Ha, now that I think about, when I worked at that indoor skydiving place back in college, I got to weigh people and tell them they were too fat for an airplane engine to blow them up in the air.
I have spent my whole life breaking fat peoples hearts.
I have fat guilt.
I would normally like to give someone an ice cream cone to make them feel better, but it only hurts in this situation.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Nope, insurance broker.
Ha, now that I think about, when I worked at that indoor skydiving place back in college, I got to weigh people and tell them they were too fat for an airplane engine to blow them up in the air.
I have fat guilt.
I would normally like to give someone an ice cream cone to make them feel better, but it only hurts in this situation.
your next job can be working for a airline telling fat people to buy two seats so i dont have to sit directly next to them while traveling 6 hours to CES next year.

thanks in advance

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
See how drunk you can get at work before getting caught or canned. Most corporations have a 3 strike policy. Take a swing at a couple of strikes, it could be fun.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Nope, insurance broker.
I have fat guilt.
My mother is an insurance broker. In my wildest of dreams I would never have thought you two would have anything in common.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
companies dont have to give you a reason why they are firing you anymore....and theres nothing you can do about it, unless you can find its based on race/sex/religion or what have you
Uh, I don't know where you got that info from, but companies have to have a legitimate, valid reason to fire you. Otherwise it becomes extremely easy to file (and win) a wrongful release lawsuit. Unless you're an "at-will" employee.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Isn't everyone nowadays? :confused:

I mean for those people who actually HAVE a job. :D
Very true, but even if you work as an at-will employee, very few companies resort to firing employees on a whim or for no reason. In my industry (packaging) when word of something like this happens, the company will be put on an unspoken blacklist, and will have an EXTREMELY difficult time finding someone else to fill the position. Its poor business practice that's not without repercussions.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Uh, I don't know where you got that info from, but companies have to have a legitimate, valid reason to fire you. Otherwise it becomes extremely easy to file (and win) a wrongful release lawsuit. Unless you're an "at-will" employee.
see below comment.
Isn't everyone nowadays? :confused:

I mean for those people who actually HAVE a job. :D

and NO companies dont need a reason to fire you unless its for a reason i mentioned above.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
My mother is an insurance broker. In my wildest of dreams I would never have thought you two would have anything in common.
Ha, I don't fit the mold at all.
I never think about it until I have to go somewhere like continuing education,
where I am around other people that do what I do. And then I am like WTF,
these are my peers.:disgust1:
They are all monkey suited out with comb overs,
and I am dressed as casually as I can possibly get away with and have people hand me a check.:busted:
Sometimes I think my casual attitude helps me in this business though.
I mean honestly, who trusts anybody under 50 with a comb over?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Very true, but even if you work as an at-will employee, very few companies resort to firing employees on a whim or for no reason. In my industry (packaging) when word of something like this happens, the company will be put on an unspoken blacklist, and will have an EXTREMELY difficult time finding someone else to fill the position. Its poor business practice that's not without repercussions.
You package engineers are HARDCORE! :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
You package engineers are HARDCORE! :D
There are only 4 colleges in the nation where you can get a degree in packaging engineering; it's a VERY small group of professionals when compared to say, oh most any other kind of engineer. There's a lot more positions than there are people to fill them. Trust me.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
There are only 4 colleges in the nation where you can get a degree in packaging engineering; it's a VERY small group of professionals when compared to say, oh most any other kind of engineer. There's a lot more positions than there are people to fill them. Trust me.
MSU?

I had a high school friend that got one of those degrees... he was some overpaid styrofoam carver at HP last time I heard. :D