Quantcast

What to eat and drink for 12 hours solo?

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
I'm guessing Westy probably could answer this, but figure others know as well. Debating on doing a 12 hour race and after seeing all the people cramping at Dalton was wondering what I should do for a 12 hour effort.

Thanks

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I am sure Westy can give you specifics, but I would think easily digested foods that don't take a lot of prep time (unless you're bringing support). I would suggest, bananas, cliff bars, gels/gus, maybe PB&J. And supplement with energy drinks and lots of water.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It depends a lot on how well your stomach can handle food when pushing your body. My biggest problem anymore is I can outpedal my stomach. When riding your body transfers bloodflow to your legs, lungs and heart and not so much to your stomach so the digestive process slows down. Here are the tips I follow.

Water down your sports drink about %50 of what is recommended, too much sugar will cause bloating, use Endurolytes or something similar to keep your electrolyte balance up. Try to find a sports drink that does not have simple sugars in it. The simple sugars can cause bloating and can possibly spike your insulin levels which will cause a sugar crash. In other words Gatoraide is not good for endurance stuff, Cytomax and stuff from Hammer gel seem to be pretty good.

Eat easily digested foods. Nothing with a lot of fiber. For a 12 hour I would mainly rely on liquids for my calorie requirements and just eat solid food when I feel hungry or have an empty stomach. So I go through lots of Hammer gel and sip something like Boost on occasion. When it comes to eating I like to eat bananas, cliff bars, PB&J sandwiches, pancakes, cookies etc.

You definately want to eat some protein while you are at it. I used Sustained Energy for a sports drink and it contains some protein. If your sports drink does not have some protein find something to eat that has some.

Eat a little bit each lap. It is better to stop and eat just a little bit each lap than it is to do 4 or 5 then try to eat a whole meal.

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Thanks for the info. The gatorade thing explains why I Dalton I felt like I was going to hurl dyring every lap. If I was unable to get Endurolytes in time for a race is there any way to keep your electrolyte balanced.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
mogulskr said:
I'm guessing Westy probably could answer this, but figure others know as well. Debating on doing a 12 hour race and after seeing all the people cramping at Dalton was wondering what I should do for a 12 hour effort.

Thanks

I ate too much at Dalton.....add that to how hot/humid it was and not taking Endurolytes equalled my 1st experience w/leg cramps

did you change your mind about Pats peak?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
mogulskr said:
Thanks for the info. The gatorade thing explains why I Dalton I felt like I was going to hurl dyring every lap. If I was unable to get Endurolytes in time for a race is there any way to keep your electrolyte balanced.
I don't do pills very well so I break them up and mix them in with my drinks. So basically I mix my sports drink weak then add endurolytes to bring the electorlyte content back to where it would normally be. The main thing to worry about is Sodium and to a slightly lesser extent Potasium, magnesium and calcium. You can also get your electrolytes from food. Pretzels and potato chips are good sources of salt, bananas have potasium, take some tums or other antacid for a good hit of calcium. Gnaw on your fork lowers for magnesium :blah: .

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Thanks for the info on the pills, but I am still debating doing Pat's Peak and I figured I would not have enough time to get any. My whole goal for Pat's Peak was to see if I could ride that long, really only competing against myself.

And do I really want to spend a hundrend bucks for torture.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
mogulskr said:
Thanks for the info on the pills, but I am still debating doing Pat's Peak and I figured I would not have enough time to get any. My whole goal for Pat's Peak was to see if I could ride that long, really only competing against myself.

Do it!!!

I'l be there / look for the Plaines trailer

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
mogulskr said:

You should definately try it. If I wasn't pregnant and not really able to push myself I would be there doin' the 12 hour solo...I will be there next year though (I already have my pit crew and babysitter lined up)! GOOD LUCK!!!!

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
Well, "the boss" has cleared me and I have some support. So if I can get everything I need tomorrow (food, water, cytomax). I'll should be there.

I raced here last year and I know those hills suck bad and I only had to do them 7 times in 24 hours.

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
mogulskr said:
Well, "the boss" has cleared me and I have some support. So if I can get everything I need tomorrow (food, water, cytomax). I'll should be there.

I raced here last year and I know those hills suck bad and I only had to do them 7 times in 24 hours.

what was the sorta fast guys doing for lap times?

mogulskr

Monkey
Aug 28, 2002
NH
The really fast guys averaged 32 minutes per lap. They we the only 4 man expert team there. I would say about 35 minutes. I think I averaged 40 with stiches in my knee. The best bet would probably do 2 laps at a time on a team if you want any time in between you laps.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I like eating pepperoni sticks like SlimJims on long rides (roadie, anything over 60 miles). It's salty and has protein and fat which keeps ya going. But do drink a lot of water after eating that tho. I'm not sure if this applies to higher output of a race, but for med. level like a century, it was great :D