Quantcast

What to get?: Beginner downhill mtb

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
For cheap rims I'd suggest Rhynolite XLs, be sure to get the XL version because it's welded instead of pinned. There are stronger rims out there, but for the money they are really hard to beat, especially for the beginner who isn't likely to abuse rims for the first couple of months but may botch a landing enough to taco the strongest rim. Get a set of $35 Rhynolite XLs.

For a fork I'd reccomend a coil spring fork, over an air fork. It will be cheaper and more reliable with only a negligable difference in weight. Something like a used Super T would be fine, although there are singlecrowns with equal travel at this point you can find used Super Ts cheaper and they will be marginally stronger and stiffer. I've only gotten into trouble with the stanchions between the crowns hitting the frame a couple of times when ridding on sidewalks, on trails it's never been a problem.

If you are considering a Bullit I'd also take a look at the Yeti AS-X, they are pretty comparable, the geometry is almost an exact copy but you get a little better shock rate because of the linkage.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The geometry is different on the two bikes. I have a bullit and my friend has an AS-X. His bike feels shorter and taller (he has a 66 7" and I have a junior T, soon will have a super t) to me. I don't feel comfortable on his bike at all.

The bullit feels much better to me, because it's a little longer.
You should probably ride both and see which you like. A medium would probably be good for you.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Maybe they've changed them a little over the last couple of years, I know when I bought my AS-X outfitted with a 7" DC fork, the only differance between it and the Bullit with the same fork was like 1/4 inch lower BB and a couple tenths of a degree in the seat angle. Isn't a 7" 66 about as tall as a 8" 888 and don't the junior/super T forks have one of the shortest A-C heights of any fork on the market?

I guess it doesn't really matter, the point is that an AS-X is a lot more like a Bullit than a Kona Stinky is.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Kornphlake said:
I guess it doesn't really matter, the point is that an AS-X is a lot more like a Bullit than a Kona Stinky is.
True. He replaced the 36 with a 7" 66. He likes it, but I hate the way it rides. He has it set up really stiff, and he's not much more than I am at 135lbs.